Virtual vs. Actual. Your thoughts please.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

What do you prefer?

I prefer Virtual Instruments
56%
I prefer Actual Instruments
44%

Total votes: 27

jonathono2000

Virtual vs. Actual. Your thoughts please.

Post by jonathono2000 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:58 pm

I am an amateur musician. that is I have never done anything more than write music in my bedroom. I have never really even seen a "real" studio (a few pics here and there) What I am wondering is that currently (September 25. 2006) what is the ratio of "actaul' instruments to "virtual" instruments you guys use? I like plug-ins because they are relatively cheap, flexible, etc... but I get the feeling that most pros use mostly hardware.

I am wondering what exactly your thoughts are on this, from both the pro and amateur perspective.

I know a lot of it depends on what sound you are after, your ability to make due with what you got, etc... so don't tell me anything like that; I already know.

You already know I'm an amateur, and I would say that my use of instruments is 90% virtual and 10% actual, I use a K-Station for ideation and as controller and it ends up in the final mix sometimes. Other than that I use plug-ins for everthing else, and what about drum machines—I mean, Impulse is so great why would i even think about investing in something like a Machinedrum.

Someone please school me.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm

what if you don't prefer either but accept both for what they are?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Re: Virtual vs. Actual. Your thoughts please.

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:07 pm

jonathono2000 wrote:Impulse is so great why would i even think about investing in something like a Machinedrum.
I've never actually tried machinedrum but I imagine the reason you'd want a machinedrum over impulse is because impulse is sample based and machinedrum is alot more immediate in sound design where as impulse you'll have to make samples and then feed it. I don't know, thats just a thought. it's very beautiful to get your hands on an actual machine that makes sounds. alot of times you can get the same results in software but holding a machine in your hands and telling it what to do is different.

you end up having a relationship with machines that you can touch. software is disconnected in a way. the machines you touch end up being much more a part of you.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

jonathono2000

Post by jonathono2000 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:17 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:what if you don't prefer either but accept both for what they are?
You just blew my mind!

lifeafter2am

Post by lifeafter2am » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:what if you don't prefer either but accept both for what they are?
Well put!!

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:43 pm

i like both....

depends on a project...

depends on my inspiration=)

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:49 pm

Well there you are

but I was in Guitar Center the other day looking for a DJ Coffin and strolled into the keyboard section

I have to say - I am personally over hardware keyboards unless they really really really WOW me

for me, and me only it's CRACKED SUPER HARD WITH REASON - I'm able to make and create the sounds I tried so hard to make with hardware - plus I have what seems like an infinite range of routing options which is really cool <-- but this is me only - something happened and now I can't put the program down (in terms of making synth sounds) so...

alot of people don't use reason I can't blame them - it's a ugly program, tiny sounds and it's for beginners so...it's my advise to leave it only and buy a $1k + synth :wink:
Last edited by djadonis206 on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:43 pm

About a year back I started making my own junk instruments with pickups and feeding them into VSTs (which I also make) for additional processing.

The benefit of making an instrument out of wood and wire is firstly that it stops me going insane, secondly it is a real thing that I can master with my hands, bending the neck, damping the resonation chambers, it is a very 'hands on' aproach to making music.
I find a certain theraputic quality in thwacking a box with strings

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:50 pm

I'll take old analog synths + organs over virtual every time.

I'll take real drums with a drummer over anything else.

Etc

Etc

Etc...

glu

Post by glu » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:20 pm

I would take real tablas and my moog opus 3 over anything virtual.
no contest.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:50 pm

Virtual here. A lot of the instruments I use have no real complement in the hardware world...

The only hardware whose sound appears on anything I do are my guitars- and there, the amps are virtual.

ew

nolus

Post by nolus » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:11 pm

I like virtual. how else could I fit half a dozen synths, a couple of sampled sound modules, a grand piano, an organ and a mellotron into a shoulder bag. Also because I can afford lots of them.

On the other hand i would love to own the real versions of these - especially the grand piano - and be able to employ a technician or two to keep them all maintained and tuned!
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

tylenol

Re: Virtual vs. Actual. Your thoughts please.

Post by tylenol » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:36 pm

jonathono2000 wrote:I like plug-ins because they are relatively cheap, flexible, etc... but I get the feeling that most pros use mostly hardware.
Keep in mind that a lot of "pros" have been doing this for a while, whereas I bet it hasn't really been possible to work entirely in software with a strong range of softsynths/effects for more than 5 years (or less). Of course I wasn't making music on a computer then anyways, so someone will probably correct me, but I bet it was at least a lot harder with a much higher barrier to entry more than 5 years ago. I have the impression that the last few years have really been a golden age for computer music.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:43 pm

A lot of it is personal preference.

IMO, virtual just can't compare to slapping a '63 J-Bass, filter sweeping a Minimoog, or whacking a DW snare. As useful, cheap, and accessible as virtual instruments are, they were born without a soul.

frankie123

Post by frankie123 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:58 pm

hambone1 wrote:A lot of it is personal preference.

IMO, virtual just can't compare to slapping a '63 J-Bass, filter sweeping a Minimoog, or whacking a DW snare. As useful, cheap, and accessible as virtual instruments are, they were born without a soul.
Born without a soul? Thats hogwash dude. Not to mention you are making a generalization with so many holes in it.

It always comes down to what you can put into your equipment. Obviously, things like guitars and basses should be recorded with real instruments whenever you can, but I've heard excellent sounding tracks using only a program like reason. It's not the arrow, it's the indian. If you can make it sound good, it doesn' t matter what you use.
dual g5 2.3 ghz 2500 megs of ram