Going Further with racks: send module

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Silicon/Silicium

Going Further with racks: send module

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:08 pm

ok, some idea I had during drumkits building:

---having a "send module" to insert anywhere in a rack, to send signal to the aux effects. number of send buttons is the same than number of return tracks.

---having a "trigger" mode in simple to make drum kits from multiple simpler easily, without ahev to deal with a 16 second release.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:15 pm

Yeah, i'd like a send device too. Mainly so i could send sounds from different impulse slots to return tracks.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:48 pm

even further: a "route" module so you can have a rack with an impulse, then a rack with 8 effect chains, each impulse output going through a chain. in fact it could even be a page in chain list, near to vel, key and chain, so each effect chain could have its own inputs. finally live could be really modular héhé...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:37 am

I haven't tried it yet but there is a plugin called senderalla that can route audio from one instance to another, it works in live, but I haven't tried it within a rack yet. I'll try now and get back to ya.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:44 am

no luke with that... sorry
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:13 am

Silicon/Silicium wrote:even further: a "route" module so you can have a rack with an impulse, then a rack with 8 effect chains, each impulse output going through a chain. in fact it could even be a page in chain list, near to vel, key and chain, so each effect chain could have its own inputs. finally live could be really modular héhé...
did you know that you can route each individual impulse cell to another audio track? Try it out - load an impulse, then unfurl the i/o tab of a spare audio channel, and check out the "audio from" options....

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:42 am

dCross wrote:
Silicon/Silicium wrote:even further: a "route" module so you can have a rack with an impulse, then a rack with 8 effect chains, each impulse output going through a chain. in fact it could even be a page in chain list, near to vel, key and chain, so each effect chain could have its own inputs. finally live could be really modular héhé...
did you know that you can route each individual impulse cell to another audio track? Try it out - load an impulse, then unfurl the i/o tab of a spare audio channel, and check out the "audio from" options....
Now try to send 8 impulse slots to 4 different tracks without making 8 audio tracks.

dCross

Post by dCross » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:19 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
dCross wrote:
Now try to send 8 impulse slots to 4 different tracks without making 8 audio tracks.
Dunno what your final goal is, but could the Racks + chain selector help here?

You won't be able to route each individual chain, but you could do some zone manipulation to select them with a knob... Again, I don't know if that serves your needs, but it would eliminate some redundancy.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:27 pm

dCross wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
dCross wrote: did you know that you can route each individual impulse cell to another audio track? Try it out - load an impulse, then unfurl the i/o tab of a spare audio channel, and check out the "audio from" options....
Dunno what your final goal is, but could the Racks + chain selector help here?

You won't be able to route each individual chain, but you could do some zone manipulation to select them with a knob... Again, I don't know if that serves your needs, but it would eliminate some redundancy.
The final goal is fairly simple.

Say you have 10 impulses in a set. (racked or not)
And you want the sound of some slots to have a touch of reverb...
In order to send those slots to 1 return track, I need to create an audio track per slot.

What we need is a device that handles routing. As you probably know, Live 6 allows you to do some pretty sick routing. Pre, post and mix per device...
Then the slots on the impulse...

Lots of options to route one thing to another. But you need a bloody audio track for every routing operation. That kinda sucks....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:08 pm

I did get senderella working to some degree way back when I tried this. I got distracted onto other stuff and didn't get time to figure out exactly why I was getting clicking sometimes. My guess is that it is something to do with PDC.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43766

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 pm

Senderella is awesome! (although not working in Live 5 for me)
I wish there were such a device for Live!

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:07 pm

currently, routing multiple out to different inserts needs a lot of tracks.
having one send per output needs a lot of track.
routing n outs to n tracks (eg routing three outs to two different tracks fo parallel effects) is nearly impossible.
and all those routings are screen space consumers (not to speak about organisation), and can't be saved as easily as we now are used to do with racks.
let's go abes, I don't want to be jalous of tracktion racks anymore(should I speak about energyXT??)!!!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:51 pm

So many old workarounds that could be done inside a rack now...
Lets eliminate some of the new ones too.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:30 pm

that's the point, avoiding unsavable untemplatable workaround.
goint to what robert henke call efficient and elegant ;)

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:12 am

Yes ableton we could all use a few updates for the racks. They are great, but you have missed a few obvious things out that limit them.

+1 for this..good idea.

PS . Please see my thread here for more improvements (And please everyone show your support, its not just me that benefits). http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49851
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic