CPU spikes : could it be software related ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
androids

CPU spikes : could it be software related ?

Post by androids » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:25 am

I'm encountering CPU spikes problem lately.
I used Ableton live v4 to 5.03 for more than 2 years without any problem.
But since mid august 2006, using always the same version, same computer, same external drive, I got the CPU spikes problem :

Using the XP Task manager I discovered that the CPU jump to 0% before reaching something like 400%, creating audio glitch.

Result : I simply cant use Ableton anymore and I have more live-pa soon ... :(

My guess as far as my configuration is still the same as it was months ago, the problem could be a software one, maybe resident programs or services ?

Anyone already investigate this way :?: :?:

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:34 pm

Have you defragmented lately?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:12 am

i'd recommend looking at things like:

do you have a usb mouse plugged into a hub that also has a midi controller on it?

or do usb hubs on your computer share IRQ's - and do these different ports handle devices which might be f*&%ing up your midi controllers, etc.

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:20 am

Do you surf the web?

If so:

Get 1) Ad-aware by lavasoft

2) spybot - search and destroy

3) perhaps try ewido

4) Avast anti-virus or AVG free anti-virus.

This sounds like a program that is secretly doing stuff behind the scenes.
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

androids

Post by androids » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:34 pm

No defrag lately, no USB/Midi controller problem, system is clean ...

I suspect an application called "Sonic Stage" by Sony (support software for MiniDisk) which load a process called "HD inspector" ... will remove it and try again ...

androids

Post by androids » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:31 pm

After removing nearly all tasks running (including spooler and some windows non-essential-for-audio), I still have the problem going on ..

Is there a way to run Ableton Live with and extra command to run the task as high or "realtime" priority :?: :?:

pushtobreak

similar problem

Post by pushtobreak » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 pm

I had a similar problem about a month ago. Cpu spikes and audio crackling, even slowing down out of the blue. Disappeared just as mysteriously. I was building up a lot of clips and plugins, but it seemed to handle it ok and then 'bam' just totally useless. it came up again recently with a few NI plugs running (Battery, Absynth, Electric Piano and Spectral delay) As I added them everything was smooth, then suddenly started choking. I was able to fix it temporarily by reloading all the devices, but the problem came back and even reloading didn't help. I exported all the midi files and reloaded the plugins in Logic and it all works fine.

I know I need more RAM (512) but the issue seems to be CPU. I'm running Live5.2.1, OSX 10.4.7, 2Ghz Dual G5. Should be able to handle it.

Another intermittent problem is: terrible midi triggering latency. I've gotten rid of it by restarting Live, but not really sure what the cause is or if that really solved it as it has come back a few times. I have a set up where the midi comes in on one track is routed to another track end then to the master fader. When I trigger the sound I see midi input spot on in track one, the second channel is a bit delayed and the master fader even more so. So, by the end it's almost a second late! Even more strange is that when I hit the space bar the entire thing stops a second late. All audio is delayed, yet I see my midi input perfectly entering the input. I've tried changing all buffer preferences eliminating inputs. If I take out just about all plugins it goes away, but 'hey' I need those plugins, and they worked fine for the past 16 hours! And 'poof' now they're working again perfectly.

I am on the web with this computer. Any suggestions?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:42 am

androids wrote:After removing nearly all tasks running (including spooler and some windows non-essential-for-audio), I still have the problem going on ..

Is there a way to run Ableton Live with and extra command to run the task as high or "realtime" priority :?: :?:
this question ----> have you done the usual audio tweaks? one of which is setting processing priority to 'background tasks' rather than 'programs'?

i don't know if there's a way to start a program with a certain priority every time, but neither have i noticed any difference in performance after changing priorities in task manager.