UC-33 WITH ABLETON

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HEXMODE

UC-33 WITH ABLETON

Post by HEXMODE » Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:25 am

I need help I already read the manual for the UC 33 but it is till very confusing.
How can I configure the UC-33 to work with ableton I need step by step
instructions even how to set up ableton the the properties section to understand that i have a uc-33 connected to my computer via USB.
email me step by step and ill send you $10 in a check if you take the time to email me directions or just post them here what ever is easier.
thanks.
adrian.
adrian.sandoval@verizon.net

stew

Post by stew » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:19 am

What computer do you own and what operating system is it running on? When running Windows, make sure you have the drivers installed according to the manual, I remember that especially the driver installation of my UC-16 under Windows 2000 was a little more complicated. If you have XP or MacOS X, you don't need to install drivers.
Make sure you turn on the device before you start Live, otherwise it won't see it. The controller should appear in Live's preferences in the MIDI tab under the "input device" dropdown menu. In cases, it may not necessarily be called "UC 33" but simply "USB MIDI Device" or the like. Once you selected that, you can assign controllers to the program via the Options/Edit MIDI Map menu command.

HEXMODE

uc-33 response

Post by HEXMODE » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:37 pm

thanks that helps me out for starters.but then what do i do to tell the uc-33 to work with ableton ...how do i program uc-33 slider 1 to work with abletons slider 1. i dont understand how to program the uc.33

MartinBSE

Post by MartinBSE » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:39 pm

hit the MIDI button in live, click the control you want to control on screen, move the control you wish to use to control it on the hardware.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:14 pm

Martin, how do you mute/solo tracks using UC-33 , there are no buttons above the channel strips on the unit, i don't have the UC-33 just the U-16 witch has the snap shot buttons , but they are can't be used as a controllers :(

EneA

Post by EneA » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:57 am

8O

Oops!! That's a little worrying. I assumed that, being offered as a bundle now, the UC-33 would work flawlessly with Live.

I was (am still) interested, but if it proves to be another bug-monster I think I'll pass!! :?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:03 pm

having to set something up is not a 'BUG'

but yes i would of guess there would be some sort of prefereces for the UC 33 to work smoothly with LIVE out of the box.

:(

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:07 pm

It's really not that difficult - the uc-33 is quite easy to program.

There are three user memories which ship with the unit which are not defined for any particular existing synth - defaults in other words.

I set up the first default user preset to work with live. Strangely, Live seems to interpret midi channel 0 as channel 1, so some of the controls seem oddly pre-programmed to conflict with each other. For example, fader 1 and the master fader are on channel 1 and 0 respectively, so Live interprets then as being the same. Thus, after you click the MIDI learn button, then fader 1, and move the first fader, then when you do the same for the master fader, the master fader 'takes over' fader 1. But you just have to change the midi channel of the master fader on the uc-33 and it's no problemo.

That sounded more complicated than it actually is. It's a cinch. Really.

But it's probably much easier if you take a few minutesd to read the relevant sections in the manuals!

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:10 pm

It's really not that difficult - the uc-33 is quite easy to program.

There are three user memories which ship with the unit which are not defined for any particular existing synth - defaults in other words.

I set up the first default user preset to work with live. Strangely, Live seems to interpret midi channel 0 as channel 1, so some of the controls seem oddly pre-programmed to conflict with each other. For example, fader 1 and the master fader are on channel 1 and 0 respectively, so Live interprets then as being the same. Thus, after you click the MIDI learn button, then fader 1, and move the first fader, then when you do the same for the master fader, the master fader 'takes over' fader 1. But you just have to change the midi channel of the master fader on the uc-33 and it's no problemo.

That sounded more complicated than it actually is. It's a cinch. Really.

But it's probably much easier if you take a few minutesd to read the relevant sections in the manuals!

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:19 am

:)

OK thanks Red!!?? The problem is, that I'm tired of wasting too much time on things that won't work the way they should.

I think I'll still wait a while and do some more checking.

Bye

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:45 am

I was going to buy one as well and I think im going to leave it also. I assumed the UC33 was designed for Live.

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:49 am

Maybe I gave the wrong impression: The UC-33 is perfect for live. Buy it. Trust me

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:39 am

8O

Perhaps the Remote 25 is another option??? I've read a lot of good stuff about it on several forum's.

BTW, can I use the UC-33 in Cubase VST as well as in Reason??

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:54 am

Yes that's good too. But you will still have to program it - more so than the UC-33. I have both! In fact, it's likely that you have to program whatever you get a bit - there is no dedicated Live controller.

EneA

Post by EneA » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:03 am

:o

Hi Red,

Can you compare them a little??