the whinge thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:58 pm

The drawing board is home.

For the last three years or so I've pretty much been a student of electronic music. All of this fiddling and experimenting is headed somewhere, I think, but it'll take me a bit longer to get there.

There's a lot to learn and a lot to forget.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:06 pm

b0unce wrote:do some backtracking, I -dont- start this shit. when people ape, mock & lampoon it begs response.

Goddamnit it's Friday, I can't help but start shit. I know I shouldn't, but...

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:08 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Sales Dude McBoob wrote: My whinge? Okay. Lately the music I make really sucks. waaaaaahhhh. Then I try to tweak it too much and it becomes a digital quagmire. waaaaaahhhh. Then I finally get something going but I realize that the preset or sample I used must be replaced with something original and the tidal spin into nothingness begins. waaaaahhhhhhh. So I vow not to use presets or unoriginal samples and I get nowhere like a loser. waaaahhhhhh. Then I make a video project and it's sort of cool but ultimately it's just TV in the end, a medium as fogettable as toilet paper. waaaahhhhhh. Then I go back and listen to something I made that I actually like, but then make the mistake of putting on a real record immediately afterward and I realize how crap my best work sounds. waaaahhhh.
I thought I was making some positive ground in my beats

then I hung out with Dan last night and caught some of his set
he played all these new cuts and I was like

Ok, I suck, nevermind

seems people are moving away from the tracky, straight 4 to the floor big room rave music to more tripped out, groovy (almost) minimal stuff

back to the drawing board
Amen. Things are finally going my way. You gotta add spices to the Gumbo. Mix it up and keep people guessing. Though I love house and other steady beat music my feet like to be thrown a curveball and my ears want to be messed with. I heard some sets at Burning Man this year that completely flipped me. There was old Sarah Vaughn and ragtime thrown in to Booty beats that were slammin and some serious low end dragged in from the d&B and Dubstep world. And it was all FUNKY. Things are getting tasty again. Yumm
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:54 pm

b0unce wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:So "liberal" hippie has nothing to do with politics?

You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post...

I'm not sure where you're getting at with the sig. But it looks like you're trying to make somebody look bad.
Says more about you then him in my book...
the reason his name has to be there, is because I didnt say it. I dont usually laugh at my own jokes. its not a 'beef', as you think. as with all the other quote sigs, I'd say that they're neither intended to offend or praise, just thats who said it - and they like it for one reason or another. it would lose some charm if you just took the quote out of context.

so basically you perceive it as political trolling - but you dont know why, just that the word liberal is in some ways a political word ?

not the weakest argument of the day...but close. the truth is you see it as political trolling, because you think I'm a troll - perhaps because I'm outspoken on some political issues. which brings me to..."You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post..." ......wrong, unless you can highlight some incident but I seriously doubt you can. Like I said, politics are reserved for political threads in my books....the only exception to that rule is when people start throwing stones in other threads - I might have to refer to the things they've said to illustrate a point.

so the sig stays, as soon someone makes a reasonable argument of how it is political trolling it will disappear

(sitar plays in the background)

Don't worry mr. stress dude, we love you man.
Just meditate on your aura, cleanse your chakras and join the liberal children of the flower people.

Peace

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:55 pm

I heard burning man was just off the hook this year - I might have to go next

Nah, the writings on the wall - I just haven't been reading it

I'm stuck in 1999 for some stupid reason with music - what I heard last night was alot of

funky, like super funky bass - not so much tracky track track shit but BASS and groove and groove and bass

I still left early but that's cause I havea drinking problem and a job :)

I can't wait to work on beats though tonight - slow it down to about 130, strip the loops down and focus on the most fucked up funky warped basslines and leads I can come up with

give me month ok?

ready

go
Ableton | Elektron

Music

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:17 pm

forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:58 pm

b0unce wrote: first of all you know I dont start these threads, ...
no, but the reason I called you a miserable bastard:
b0unce wrote:forge's girlfriends are receiving criticism - rather then doling it out....thats whats known as whinging around these parts

second to that, this is a flame-bait thread - a forge speciality....tho he usually doesnt have the gusto to stick them out

same shit, higher post count.

doesnt have anything to do with politics, other than you in your mind somehow see posting a load of shit on an anonymous internet forum as "gusto" and that it makes me somehow cowardly to not waste several hours of my time typing useless shit for someone to disagree with

If you saw me posting on this forum, most of the time I'm laughing while I write - it's funny, it's my entertainment while I'm rendering or listening to music, having a cup of tea, or whatever - break time - if people want to get all wound up and take it seriously then they are really in the wrong place

dont get me wrong, one of the things that makes this forum great is the political hotheads, but it still remains and always will be the Ableton forum

The fact that you are getting into this thing of quoting big huge bits of peoples posts and picking them apart trying to make someone look like a hypocrate or "troll" or whatever it is suggests that you need a break - go and kick the football or something, because it really doesnt matter if these internet people are trolls or hypocrates, it wont change your life much.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:07 am

whatever
spreader of butter

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:07 am

b0unce wrote:same shit, higher post count.
Henry Ford + b0unce + Hatchet McGee + who knows how many other names = well over 3,000 posts. A majority of those were politics and helping him spend $20k of gear.

As much as b0unce can talk about high posters, and any kind of an elite crew or people who make him feel ostracised, he fails to recognise he's as much a part of the furniture around here as anyone, especially when it comes to stirring shit up. It wouldn't be the same without the usual cast of lunatics around here, tough love.

Wait, was he saying I'm forge's bitch?

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:11 am

the higher post count remark wasnt so much a dig,...just trying to put a slant on the same shit different day cliche

carry on
spreader of butter

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:14 am

Where was I?

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:17 am

I dont follow..?

edit: oh, right...
spreader of butter

Tuffy McFucklebee

Post by Tuffy McFucklebee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:08 am

btw ropey, what happened to sending me some more stuff to work on with you.

i really liked the moog sequence, and thought you sort of dug the beat i wrote for it.

.mcmufflebee.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:23 am

you went to join the circus....last I heard/thought of it...

this project management stuff in L6 seems like it could facilitate easy swip-swopping of sets and such....are you upgrading ?
spreader of butter

Tuffy McFucklebee

Post by Tuffy McFucklebee » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:47 am

oh hell yeah imma upgrade.

m