the whinge thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:51 pm

mikemc wrote:so i look at this thread to find out WTF a "whinge" is and it's a bunch of people whining fer crine out loud. Now my eyes are crossed looking at multiple slapstic penguins, there's a smell of monkeys in my nose, badly prepared eggs in my mouth (how can you fuck up an egg??) and vague memories of plaster-wall-reverbrated-pop-music ringing in my ears.

[edit] and now I find out there is really is such a word as whinge and whining is what I should have expected so i feel dumb but WHY does there have to be whinge when there is already whine?
http://www.bartleby.com/61/97/W0119750.html

and now ball sack (not to be confused with kant) has made this big long ahhh so the thread is mainly unreadable.
:lol: :lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:14 pm

forge wrote:I honestly do not understand how someone who's just inherited 20000E and spent it all on music gear can be as miserable bastard as you are B0unce mcgee hatchetts puter
You can't buy talent... God knows I've tried and failed! And that's enough to make anyone miserable!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:54 pm

forge wrote: We all read the important political threads and understand their importance, and it may or may not spill over into our real lives, depending on how much each of us takes it on board

incidentally, what else are you doing for the good of the lebanese or palestinian people besides getting angry at people on this forum?

I'm not dumping on any of your efforts at all, but I think by being so hateful you are not actually helping your causes at all
first of all you know I dont start these threads, and I dont introduce politics into a thread that isnt already political. hambone raised the point of living in a selfish bubble, oblivious to one's own insensitivity in reference to some epileptic comments....I had to point out the hypocrisy of his message by referring to a thread he had hijacked before, gloating about how well off he is to be free and how he's going to have a good time on a beautiful mountain trail...and trying to shut down the discussion as best he could - a serious discussion, about dying children and starving people...a discussion that was gathering momentum and we were all exchanging horizon-widening literature - reduced to 'forget about it'. Other then that, I didnt try and turn the thread to politics.

if you know of any incidents where I've hijacked non-political threads and turned them into political threads then let me know, otherwise retract you're "observations"
I think you're memory is playing tricks with you, because I speak with such conviction you're convinced I go around starting this shit...but I dont. I tried to once, make a satirical stunt about how the phrase 'anti-semetic' is having its meaning minced to pieces in today's world, ...I pasted hundreds if not thousands of anagrams ('mean ice tits' being my own personal favourite) ....lol, naturally enough the gag was over looked, & the message behind the gag...and it was dismissed as a troll fest. oh ya...and an open letter to god fearing america where I said do unto others as you want them do to you. both occasions were stunts, designed to highlight a glaring hole in some of the arguments being put across in current political threads at the time.

so....thats it as far as I know, those are my 'shit-stirring' sins. you cant blame me for the rest, where I just joined discussions that other people started, which you often started infact.

as for what I do, well i believe in local charity as well as global charity - its all too easy to project your positivity to far away causes, but if we all started sorting our problems out at home....the world would be a better place. so I volunteer 6 hours a week to two charity shops here. and they in turn put the money to various good uses. I've participated in the opening (and furnishing) of several action-squats for turkish people who were being deported from holland a few years ago, some of home had been living there for in excess of twenty years - ask yourself why they were being deported. I've also participated in the opening of squats for 'regular' homeless people , with no political message behind it. That was in holland. 4 of the squats are still open and thriving, unfortunately not the ones with the brown people in it.

anyone in holland know the biljmeer kraak ? apologies for poor spelling

if you've ever done any of that, you'll know its back-breaking work.

on and off I'm the 'tamborine man' for a band, who cover costs and give the money to local charities , who in turn raise awareness of global causes, which in turn has meant my local town now has a green party mayor as of late. by tamborine man, i mean I demeen myself a little cos my role is kind of lame...launching cheesy electronic noises.....heh, which is why its on and off - they dont really need another human being up there on the stage. and I'm not down with some of the things they say about highlie selassie (sp)...and I dont want to align myself with that, but ya I've done it, may do it again...cos they dont pay themselves, just the guy they rent the van off for the gig, and paying for incense and shit...heh

mostly funds have gone towards a guy who had his house burned down while he was building it, cos he had long hair and was living in a mongolian tent with his family on the site of the house he was building. Helping him, is helping others...because he selflessly teaches people (who want to learn) how to live self-sufficiently and in a symbiotic fashion with the world we live in.

do you see the pattern ?...its not like I'm sending millions of euros to the palestinians, but if I was like you....and just said 'ahhh forget about it' just cos I was lucky enough to pick up some nice synths....well, we would be fucked, and it would have a detrimental effect on global issues. thats what I object to on this board, the -almost- relentless need to sweep real issues under the carpet....for various self-delusional reasons...

you might have fooled yourself into not giving a fuck, but for the love of all that is good shut your fucking mouth when people who havent given up yet are trying to exchange ideas. and dont ridicule people for caring, just cos you dont. typical response tho, get it ALL the time funnilly enough.

if you want to start doing something, well you have to be englightened first - you need the ideology before you can act on it....just be careful what ideologies you align yourself with, and chill out on the 'ya well what do you do' rhetoric
spreader of butter

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:08 pm

All very noble and commendable. I agree that we all could and should do more to help. It is easy to watch the news, and think "That's terrible, but there's nothing I can do about it."

But why shove your evangelism down everyone's throat on a music program forum? Surely you'd find a more receptive and like-minded audience elsewhere.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:31 pm

do some backtracking, I -dont- start this shit. when people ape, mock & lampoon it begs response.
spreader of butter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:34 pm

b0unce wrote: and I dont introduce politics into a thread that isnt already political.
I beg to differ.
Not picking a fight. Just pointing out the obvious :wink:
b0unce's sig wrote:
Inis wrote:I hate liberal hippies

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:40 pm

I'm curious....what do you think it is I'm saying by putting that quote in my sig ?

you can differ all you want, but until you explain yourself....its just an inocuous quote that I find amusing for its blunt straight-forwardness....there's plenty of people carrying quotes in their sigs that they find amusing for one reason or another....

really, explain yourself and I might change it....I dont see where you're coming from....
spreader of butter

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:55 pm

b0unce wrote:I'm curious....what do you think it is I'm saying by putting that quote in my sig ?
I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with chocolate.

BTW Whaaa. I dropped my eggs and toast this morning. Face down of course
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm

and it has nothing to do with politics....

but, lets hear that explanation hoffman2k....now's your chance to have it removed
spreader of butter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:57 pm

So "liberal" hippie has nothing to do with politics?

You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post...

I'm not sure where you're getting at with the sig. But it looks like you're trying to make somebody look bad.
Says more about you then him in my book...

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:07 pm

hoffman2k wrote:So "liberal" hippie has nothing to do with politics?

You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post...

I'm not sure where you're getting at with the sig. But it looks like you're trying to make somebody look bad.
Says more about you then him in my book...
the reason his name has to be there, is because I didnt say it. I dont usually laugh at my own jokes. its not a 'beef', as you think. as with all the other quote sigs, I'd say that they're neither intended to offend or praise, just thats who said it - and they like it for one reason or another. it would lose some charm if you just took the quote out of context.

so basically you perceive it as political trolling - but you dont know why, just that the word liberal is in some ways a political word ?

not the weakest argument of the day...but close. the truth is you see it as political trolling, because you think I'm a troll - perhaps because I'm outspoken on some political issues. which brings me to..."You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post..." ......wrong, unless you can highlight some incident but I seriously doubt you can. Like I said, politics are reserved for political threads in my books....the only exception to that rule is when people start throwing stones in other threads - I might have to refer to the things they've said to illustrate a point.

so the sig stays, as soon someone makes a reasonable argument of how it is political trolling it will disappear
spreader of butter

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Well yeah. If you want to call your trolling political or not... Hey, it's a free world around these parts.

If you don't think that the quote is out of context. Then you call my "arguments" as weak as you wish. It is the whinge thread after all.

It's hard to point out specific examples. Because you have to change your nick every few months because people are fed up with your trolling. Lord knows how many you had so far....

Anyway. I'm not getting into my "weak arguments"...
I had an 8 hour accounting class today. And i might end up in a long discussion to prove that 2 + 2 is actually 3.
My brain has already depleted.
I would love to whinge about it some more. But there's no point. Unless you can talk in fiscal law metaphores. Then i might be game ;)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:24 pm

b0unce wrote:..."You might not start the political discussions, but you bring politics at the end of every post..." ......wrong, unless you can highlight some incident but I seriously doubt you can.
I was actually referring to your sig. It's at the end of every post you make :wink:

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 pm

kennerb wrote:
I'm quite sure it has nothing to do with chocolate.

and everyone loves chocolate :)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote: My whinge? Okay. Lately the music I make really sucks. waaaaaahhhh. Then I try to tweak it too much and it becomes a digital quagmire. waaaaaahhhh. Then I finally get something going but I realize that the preset or sample I used must be replaced with something original and the tidal spin into nothingness begins. waaaaahhhhhhh. So I vow not to use presets or unoriginal samples and I get nowhere like a loser. waaaahhhhhh. Then I make a video project and it's sort of cool but ultimately it's just TV in the end, a medium as fogettable as toilet paper. waaaahhhhhh. Then I go back and listen to something I made that I actually like, but then make the mistake of putting on a real record immediately afterward and I realize how crap my best work sounds. waaaahhhh.
I thought I was making some positive ground in my beats

then I hung out with Dan last night and caught some of his set
he played all these new cuts and I was like

Ok, I suck, nevermind

seems people are moving away from the tracky, straight 4 to the floor big room rave music to more tripped out, groovy (almost) minimal stuff

back to the drawing board
Ableton | Elektron

Music