Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:02 pm

Ok, thanks for explain.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:48 am

NEWS
Version 1.7.X be ready next friday 30-03-2007 :P

kugutsumen

Post by kugutsumen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:08 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:NEWS
Version 1.7.X be ready next friday 30-03-2007 :P
31st March! :)

Just checked your web page, it looks very good. Do you have plan to port it to Mac OS X or linux... I don't trust Windows.

Also you might want to start a new thread when you release it.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:06 am

I really sorry for delay, have toruble with FTP server, i hoppe today in the next hours can update the page.
I update the info aspa have page updated in the next hours.
Best regards.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:50 pm

Well, lot of delay, but finally new web site its done, and new version 1.82 ready !

About the price of software check the page the price its really low, and no need credit card for instant download.

Demo and vidoe available in the nest hours.
Pictures available on gallery now.
Large changelog of this new version coming in the next hours.

Best regards.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

I thought you weren't going to charge for this? Didn't you say that a ton of times?

Cheers,
Andreas.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:41 pm

After all time i dedicated and continue dedicating to this project, i decide make this project comercial, but the cost its very low....
You no need credit card, just send sms o make phone call, tath depend of your location.
After send sms or make the phone call, you have acces to downlaod inmediatly.
I put demo soon, restriction be the clasic 30 minutes full usage, i make public the demo soon.
I know some times i think on make this free, but i decide put a little cost, why not?
Check just a few examples of the price:

France: 1,80 EUR
USA: 2.99 U$
UK: 2,25 GBP

Its really epxensive?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:42 pm

If I could have multiple pages of labelled buttons (no faders, knobs, etc), I'd pay a lot more than that!

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:11 pm

For now this is what i have,
I stay hard working on change, and trying to make new software 100% customizable, but that take long time to me, and i cant promess...when and if i complete this, right now i just testing.

I really NO want make anounces i cant complete......

MonoTouchLive is a software with DJ orientation............its like the software created by jassmutant DEXTER, specific software for dedicated task, ..........well MonoTouchLIve its oriented to all that people want DJing and more with ableton, and want a complete controller.
At this moment and with new version 1.82 you can 100% dijing without use mouse, and have acces to all things you need....

For people who want more versatile system......really should consider buy lemur..........price its prohibitive !! sure i know (i jave the money for buy one lemnur, but continue thinking if really need buy), ....for that reson i really analize how make 100% modular, on first instance, sliders, buttons , horizontal slider, circular knobs.. basic and ismple interface.

I just are one person, not have big company with software developers working for me...and all i do take time.

The big wuestion:
I make modular software?
I want, dont know if i do...

Best regards.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:42 pm

If you can make it modular, I think you'll find a big market for it. I'll be first in line!

I don't think most user want or need Lemur's physics, OSC, multitouch, etc. If they do, they can buy a Lemur.

You've done a great job so far, and congratulations for charging so little.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:47 pm

Thank you hambone1!
From the first days i start with this, i just recive a low number of words like this:

"You've done a great job so far, and congratulations for charging so little"

I recive lot of complaints, insults, some guys just contacte to my messenger just for tellme "HEY MAN YOU ARE AND IDIOT" .... jaja........its possible they have reason jajaj, i reciv few e-mails form Jazzmutant where they requestme change the button design and they tellme stay away to make this kind of controller, due they have the patents etc etc etc, and they start legal actions agains me etc etc.........

Imagine!!, ...........

Your makme very happy with this simple comment, i no want the dollars of people, and no want be millionarie wth this, jaja ..... i just put a little price because i think........well man if i use months on this, and tolerate all this ......little and insignificant charge its just ok.

Thank you for understand the concept!

About multitouch, well yeah is good, but anybody can check absolutly all videos availables, from jazzmutant and you can see on the demos, demos of practical things, people use just one finger, the 99% of time : )
The great point of jazzmutant its not really the hardware, the best is the sowftare, i really think they make mor emoney selling some version of software work like my software but like modullar.......that is the real goal !! the modularity !

I no mean jazzmutant is bad, NOOO........never !! its gerat and wonderfull product.... i consider buy one, for use virtual kyboard , that be very usefull, and for emulate kaos pad ......anyway due the 12" size i think is very little fo that, so i really dont know if i buy in the next future.
Its a lot of money !

Backing again to MonoTouch, and sorry for be repettive, its a DJING MIDI CONTROLLER & LITTLE MORE !! not is a Lemur competence, and can be considerated like DEXTER from Jazzmutant, software designed for specific task.

Anyway i really consider create modular tool like i coment all time!! , i thinking now how make multiplataform, how make work on osx, and linux and on windows.
I investigate to work wit Mono for OS X, so can create appz work on windows and osx : )

More info in some moment about all this.

Monotouch its not cerated with low level language, its created with Synthamker and i continue working with that tool.
Some solution if you need your own controller soon, and this coment its for everyody, go for that software, buyit, create your own controller : )
Synthmaker its amazing tool, but for create modular, i plain work on .net or should work with visual studio.......
If want buy synthmaker, contactme i can pickup discount price for anywan use the synthmaker for create your own controller.
Synthamker its easy, but dot think you can build your controller in 5 hours.

Dont know what is the future of all this, i start creating little controller for me, and now i stay involved on more big project and i really want go for more !

Thanks again hambone1

rtopia

Post by rtopia » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:20 pm

DJ-Grobe

stick to your vision....

If all you see is a DJ controller and you can charge less than $10 US making it - go for it.

r

kugutsumen

Post by kugutsumen » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:26 pm

I think you shouldn't feel guilty about charging for your software. You should even charge more than these 3 bucks.

People can't own copyright or trademark on look and feel. Apple tried that and was rejected in court
Look and feel in operating system user interfaces serves two general purposes. First, it provides branding, helping to identify a set of products from one company. Second, it increases ease of use, since users will become familiar with how one product functions (looks, reads, etc.) and can translate their experience to other products with the same look and feel. Some companies try to assert copyright over their look and feel.

Apple Computer was notable for its use of the term look and feel in reference to their Mac OS operating system. The firm tried, with some success, to block other software developers from creating software which had a similar look and feel. Apple argued that they had a copyright claim on the look and feel of their software, and even went so far as to sue Microsoft, alleging that the Windows operating system was illegally copying their look and feel.

Despite provoking a vehement reaction in the software community, and causing Richard Stallman to form the League for Programming Freedom, the expected landmark ruling never happened, as most of the issues were resolved based on a license that Apple had granted Microsoft for Windows 1.0. See: Apple v. Microsoft. The First Circuit Court of Appeals rejected a copyright claim on the feel of a user interface in Lotus v. Borland.
If people want multi finger tracking they'll buy a lemur or a dexter... Apple owns a patent on multi-finger tracking btw. Checkout MultiTouch Interaction Experiments video.

http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/

I saw the vids of the Lemur. It's awesome. If you can afford one don't hesitate, monotouch is not going to replace a Lemur.

However, a monotouch running on an Apple TV (300$) with a lcd touchscreen (130$) would make a cheap alternative.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:52 pm

why you want run monotouch on apletv?

you can run on any notebook or computer with dual video output : )
You no need buy apletv, just need buy good touchscreen, this its te touch i buyed and its what i recomend:
ELO 1537L (1000 SERIES) (mdoe with saw techology form elo)
I recomend this, or any saw touch screen, or carrlo technology, but not resistive !!

Right now, i make few test runing wwindows on apple imac, with 2gb ram, 2.16ghz core 2 duo, and runa bleton mas monotouch, and monotouch not create any interference to ableton,, you no need spearate machien for run this.

I run the same test with osx, and runing parallels with win xp, and on taht xp run monotouchlive, on sam emahcine, no problems on that test !!

You not need apletv : ) or any spearate machine !!
Just need any cimputer with dual video output and all macs have support for that : )

About http://cs.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/ this not its related to APPLE !! lol sombody should put some big advisorie about this is from JEFF HAN and he have patents non related to apple.. you can build you own screen like jeff hans, at really low cost, its very simple, but its non portable, i stay involved the last year in development of one screen like that but its non portable, and you need a lcd proyctor etc etc.

About apple patents he just patent the conceptual devices, you can find on the web, anyway i suspect Jazzmutant share that patent with apple.

About Apple, the devices multitouch you see form they, soon, after the IPHONE, are the CINEMA screens from apple with multitouch support, availables around the middle of the 2008 and the prices are super more expensive of LEMUR......

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:16 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:anyway i suspect Jazzmutant share that patent with apple.
JazzMutant put in their patent application way before the apple multi-touch patents were put in.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.