Dj Controller for ableton : ) !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jadedsoul1

Post by Jadedsoul1 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 pm

dude what the fuck use is mono touch with live..lol its post to be for djs but i dont know any 1 armed minus 3 fingers and a thumb djs, totaly usless
in a djing enviroment. maybe you could assign your master volume to it!!!!!! :roll:

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:21 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of people who use Live with a laptop only. And a laptop can only handle one touch (i.e. a mouse click) at a time. So is a mouse "useless" too?

Of course, if you're using a mouse you can use the laptop keyboard as well. As you can with Monotouch.

And no one is saying that you have to use Monotouch as your only controller. You can always team it up with another controller. Monotouch has its strengths (great visual feedback) and weaknesses (single touch only) as do other controllers (which tend to be the exact opposite - i.e. less visual feedback but multi-touch).

Even if it's "useless" for you, I'm sure plenty of other DJs and.or performers can be creative enough to find a use for it - see the video above for just one example. That performer doesn't seem too limited by it being single touch...

Seriously, how many controls do you normally work simultaneously? I bet it's two at most. I don't know about you, but I've only got two hands and can only turn two knobs at once... (And with careful MIDI mapping, etc., I could get one knob to do two things so I wouldn't even need to turn two at once!)
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Jadedsoul1

Post by Jadedsoul1 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:25 pm

dude i got like what 20 odd controls set up for live and i try not to use a mouse.
and when your djing your using lots of controle's. fast responce is needed with precision. that thing i would not like to use .
it may have its uses but to use as a pro dj controller 8O .
and if you have used ableton in a night club through a fuckin big p.a you would now were im comming from

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Jadedsoul1 wrote:dude i got like what 20 odd controls set up for live and i try not to use a mouse.
and when your djing your using lots of controle's.
Sure, but how many do you use simultaneously?
Jadedsoul1 wrote:fast responce is needed with precision. that thing i would not like to use .
Surely that would rule out the Lemur too? Yet Lemur-owning DJs seem to be very happy with that...
Jadedsoul1 wrote:and if you have used ableton in a night club through a fuckin big p.a you would now were im comming from
I'm not sure what the size of the PA has got to do with anything. As it happens, I've tended to use Ableton in smaller clubs (where they're a bit more flexible about you using your own gear) and decks in larger clubs.(which, ironically, don't have room for my laptop rig!) But I've never wanted to work more than two controls simultaneously. And I'm sure I could cut it down to one at a time (with one control changing two parameters) with a bit of preparation.

Admittedly I've never tried doing a touch screen gig. But I'm guessing that neither have you...

Jadedsoul1

Post by Jadedsoul1 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:21 am

big pa means slightest error with a controle and your gona HEAR IT!!!!!!!!
also if your using mp3 your gona have to use more than one control coz the tune im droppin next is low in volume and i got to manualy gain and cut the bass on the other track then drop a loop and so on .
and no i aint used a touchscreen for ableton. an wont be either. defo not monotouch :lol:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:48 am

robbmasters, thankyou for your words, you have your mind very open to new options, that its good, not in defense of my software..........this its good in defense of any new option comming and new or different ways to take control of ableton : )

Some guys not like MTL, or really think this its not usefull...... and its ok.
Anyway i continue working on this, some guys find this software very usefull, other no.........and is ok :)

New version coming soon, with more fatures :)

Jadedsoul1 this system have faster response, and high presition.
Its specifically designed for djs want use ableton for mashups, remix live, liveact with loops etc etc.
For musician controlling lot of synths, can be limited due single touch, because they are who really need multitouch, anyway the guy create this video want i add the synth and sampler part and i do that : )
He think this way to controlling can be very powerrfull or usefull :)

Another point i want coment: " the best controller and more complete i see at this moment, its the mouse!!!..........

The only trouble with mouse:
very slowly when you play some clip and then want play inmediatly other clip in other chanell, the time to drag mouse form one position to other its very high and that point make the mouse problematic, and you have high presition, but with mouse you have presition vs time delay.

Imagine this: how much time take to positioning the mouse cursor from one slider on the ableton screen, drag down, and the go to other slider for make the same?
With touch screen using just single touch........that task are absolutly more faster : )

Monotouch really breake that point, its just a ableton frontend, where you can shut clips, move sliders, very high fatser compared with mouse, and with super nice presition, very complete due numbe rof things you can controlling, super durable, and cheap.....

The number of controlls on monotouch its other good point, you can take controll of all common fucntions djs need in faster way, only top line controllers like lemur, xone3d, makie, can takecontroll of all features in really very easy way, with good feedback.......oh sorry one non top line like novation remote can do, and its great product.

Aditional to all, this, this controller can be used in with notebook keyboard, mouse, and other controllers why not?
Nobody say this its the only one.

I dont know yet any controller can make mouse usage, obsolete....

Mouse its the primary and non remplazable controller for ableton, then you can use monotouch, behringer, xone, lemur novation, or any other for have better controll, or exact controll you want over ableton.

On lemur its possible remplace mouse, using x-y pad, and send midi to some software transform that midi in mosue control.

I dont know if that its really usefull, i stay thinking in create mouse pad on monotouch, for take controll of mouse, but dont know if that can be really usefull.

In my case, i can make usage of monotouch ......and i really not missed never not have multitouch feature : )
Anyway multitouch its usefull, i never can say that its not real.

Happy new year guys !!
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:53 am

I look forward to seeing what the next version offers. And one day trying it out!

By the way, the offer in the PM I sent you a while back still stands, if you're interested. (PM me, if you are.)

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks to you robbmasters
I think i contatcoy soon, now i try find some guycan work on my webpage for make more better and ncie design : )

I cant put time on that, all free time i have i dedicated to MTL software.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:ABout multitouch, microsoft relase dsk for multiple pointer soon, the next month : )
After this all things start change in the world.
Do you have any links to this news or are you just hoping/presuming/ making this up?

Ive search google ect for this news and cant find anything.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:17 pm

Just use on google words: MICROSOFT MULTIPOINT

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... Point.mspx

http://imaginecup.com/multipoint/default.aspx

Multitouch its coming guys : )

phatline

Post by phatline » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:10 am

Multipoint we want multipoint, yipeee :D :D :D :D yeah, haha, multitouch .... :idea:

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:37 pm

New version with lot of improvemenmts , fixes, and new fatures its completed today, but i not make public yet.

The visual feedback for "play clip buttons" have big troubles, and not its monotouchlive trouble, aparently ableton have bug.

More info here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... lip+status

Asap ableton fix, or have some oficial answer about this issue, i make public again teh new version, after that i can now how deal with this trouble.
Before fix, i put the project in stand by, because i consider feedbackvery important.

If sombody can reproduce the test on differents systems, i apreciate that.

gafferuk

Post by gafferuk » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:42 am

Dj-Grobe wrote:Just use on google words: MICROSOFT MULTIPOINT

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... Point.mspx

http://imaginecup.com/multipoint/default.aspx

Multitouch its coming guys : )
That's not multitouch, that's multiple mice. A different thing. I guess you could use the technology for multitouch but the hardware needs to be created. Wait a year or 2 I guess.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 am

Its the same, multipoint device can be used for multitouch.
Is software cant handle multitouch its not created........ hardware never exist.
The sdk from ms its ok, for multitiuch and gestures, so if the sdk its called multitouch, or multipoint that is the only diference.

Yesterday world see the first step to masive multiple touch screen devices with the presentation of the first masive multitouch device, the apple iphone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/

I not say this kill the traditional hadrdware controllers inmediatly, like sliders, knobs, mouse, keyboards, but with some time its where the tehnology go.............lol, but for people want see multitouchs in home or studio to low prices, i feel the year 2007 come with some good news : )
I listen few rumors mac osx, start support multipoint devices from teh next version, if that its real, well guys nothing cant refuse multitouch its coming.

Best regards.

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:59 pm

New version changes in the next page : )
I moved the post.
Last edited by Dj-Grobe on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.