About to buy a KORG MicroKONTROL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cone

Post by Cone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm waiting with interest for Live 6 and the supposed support for the microKontrol. But since Live 5 supports Mackie Control, an MC emulator does the trick already before Live 6. I've used John Pitcairn's LC Xmu on the Mac, and a similar product for Windows is WiseMix MCmu.

autoy

Post by autoy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:49 am

alvaro wrote:
Machinate wrote:Korg had the "good sense" of putting in rotary encoders with the controller, which would, when designed by humans, mean that jumpy values could be avoided quite easily.

Korg however decided that this functionality, no matter how basic, should only be available in what's called "Native Mode" - which completely ruins the feature of rotary encoders for many purposes...
Sorry Machinate.... what?

I am talking about its faders. With or without Native mode enabled.
What? Faders ALWAYS jump, that is unless they are fully motorized (I have yet to see a keyboard controller with motorized faders). Otherwise, like someone has commented, there are no jumps on the knobs if used on native mode and this should be the case on live 6.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:54 am

Machinate wrote:Korg had the "good sense" of putting in rotary encoders with the controller, which would, when designed by humans, mean that jumpy values could be avoided quite easily.

Korg however decided that this functionality, no matter how basic, should only be available in what's called "Native Mode" - which completely ruins the feature of rotary encoders for many purposes...
my controller knobs aren't rotary - the setting knob is though

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 am

autoy wrote:
alvaro wrote:

What? Faders ALWAYS jump, that is unless they are fully motorized (I have yet to see a keyboard controller with motorized faders). Otherwise, like someone has commented, there are no jumps on the knobs if used on native mode and this should be the case on live 6.
is native control better than 7bit or something? I only got mine a couple of days ago.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:19 am

autoy wrote:
alvaro wrote:

Omg, i though it was a bug on microkontrol with live 5... ok ok sorry and thanks. But there must be a way to fix that behavior, btw i have jumps on my encoders too.

CME VX series has motorized faders.

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:26 pm

alvaro wrote:
autoy wrote:
alvaro wrote: Sorry Machinate.... what?

Omg, i though it was a bug on microkontrol with live 5... ok ok sorry and thanks. But there must be a way to fix that behavior, btw i have jumps on my encoders too.

CME VX series has motorized faders.
controllers dont respond to changes you make in the software, which to me makes em inadapted for music production.
you can get motorized faders, or a lemur...
Macbook 2.2ghz, OS 10.5.2, Focusrite Saffire, Microkontrol, Lemur

Cone

Post by Cone » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:05 pm

What if you have an endless rotary encoder that is able to pick up the value that was set in software? Isn't that known as "soft takeover", and wouldn't it be suitable?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:12 pm

sigh...

endless rotary encoders don't "pick up the value" in the software, they simply send out different values to indicate "+1" or "-1" which increments or decrements the value in the software.

"Soft takeover" allows regular knobs, which transmit absolute values, to output data into the software, which in turn only responds with a value change, once the current value has been reached by the controller. The knob then "takes over", but "softly", since it always happens at a point where there are no jumps.

This works for faders as well, of course.

[edit, ps sorrry for coming off like a besserwisser here... Long day :-( ]
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Sorry for my ignorance... Incase that the problem was in the DAW and not in the controler, could be possible that Live 6 automapping involved that feature (im referring to "Soft takeover")? All controlers would have to work this way.

Cone

Post by Cone » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:47 pm

OK... two different unrelated concepts there, whch I hopelessly mixed up. Sorry 'bout that.

So is there a type of rotary that actually can read an arbitrary value from the software and then start emitting absolute values around that, not relative? It seems this would be easy if the rotary is indeed endless. Or is this just the same as the relative inc/dec after all?

johnpitcairn

Post by johnpitcairn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Cone wrote:So is there a type of rotary that actually can read an arbitrary value from the software and then start emitting absolute values around that, not relative?
Sure, if the software transmits a value to the controller. Behringer BCF/BCR, Doepfer Pocket Dial, probably others.

LC Xmu handles the soft takeover thing for the MK faders too, BTW, though that's not much use for Windows, sorry.
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:17 pm

It seems like Live 6 has a implemented soft takeover mode...

i dunno yet how to use it, but i guess it is the same feature that you were discussing about in this thread, isn't it?