Behringer FCA202 Driver Question and Observations

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iMartin

Behringer FCA202 Driver Question and Observations

Post by iMartin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:33 pm

After struggling with an AudioPhile 2496 PCI card for a couple of days I have had to admit defeat, it seems it just doesn’t like my Mother board/AMD set up. I get a crackling noise every time the hard drive operates!

So I visited my local music store with the intention of buying a Saffire LE. Whilst they were happy to get me one, one of the staff suggested I tried the Behringer FCA202 - from various postings on here I was a bit sceptical but they showed me a demo against some much more expensive cards and I have to say I was impressed.

I have set it up with two computers an AMD based desktop and an Intel M Laptop. In both cases it works really well - however when I go into audio settings it gives me some strange figures.

On both computers if I select the lowest latency using the ASIO driver I get:
96 Samples
Output Latency 0ms
Input latency 12.1ms

If I run the 'setting up Latency Compensation' test/tutorial in Live I get 17ms compensation.

With these setting everything is fine but shouldn't the Output latency figure be bigger than zero? I can play along audio/midi midi/audio and everything is fine. (I am using the latest driver from the Behringers web site).

I am using the M-Audio Live Special Edition - is there any difference between this and the Behringer Lite version?

Any comments on these figures or from other FCA202 owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

FMB

FCA202 BEHRINGER

Post by FMB » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Hello there I tested the FCA202 on a laptop and a normal computer
with LIVE, SX3 and Wavelab. The latency input and output is not oké!
I reported it to Behringer, but no real support there! The driver is not
stable in WindowsXP it is sometimes gone and you can get feedback
noises when you change VTi´s.
Greatings David

iMartin

Re: FCA202 BEHRINGER

Post by iMartin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:30 pm

FMB wrote:The driver is not
stable in WindowsXP it is sometimes gone and you can get feedback noises when you change VTi´s.
Greatings David
I have to say my experiences with it in XP are not the same... I find it stable, I have yet to have a problem with it.... I was working on a project for eight hours in live today without a glitch.

My only problem is that the latency figures that I set, are not the ones that show up in the Live settings window. If I set the driver to 2.18ms (which I know can not be right), I get 12 ms in the preferance window?

Are there any other FCA202 users out there, that can share their figures with us?

Cheers

Martin

joesapo

Post by joesapo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:52 pm

I'm not at home right now, so I can't give you exact figures, but with the FCA202 set at around 6.5ms latency @ 96kHz I get around 19ms total latency from the prefs menu in Live.

IMO, this card is badass. It doesn't have the super-qualicy A/D D/A converters like some other cards, but for me it's been rock solid.

I have an Indigo DJ card for gigs that is audibly much better sounding, and I only use my FCA202 at home hooked up to a mixer for recording my synths and mics. For what I use it for, it's perfect.

As far as the latency goes, you might do a forum search about it. I read a while back that the latency settings in the Live perfs panel are not entirely accurate or something.... I dunno. Maybe one of the regs will chime in on this.