Audio Performance Questions Answered

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajkandy

Yay! And...

Post by ajkandy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:15 pm

I know rewriting an audio engine from scratch is not fun, but if Live is to fulfill its claims of being a DAW in addition to being a loops-based instrument, it must remain competitive even with lower-end audio sequencers (Metro, Logic Audio, Cubase SL etc.). I heartily applaud this statement of commitment from Ableton - here's to seeing Live 4 sometime before the end of 2004 :)

I think 80% of the functionality is there already. From forum comments, it seems like it's now just down to adding a good built-in waveform editor and retooling for platform-specific enhancements (on OS X for instance, making code more re-entrant, multithreaded, MP-aware, using Altivec for DSP).

I like the addition in Live 3 of the option to play back from RAM; it would be nice if you could set this as a global option (i.e. all, selected, or none from RAM).

How's about this in the meantime - adding more to the ReWire 2 implementation, in order to use Live as a slave application with Reason, so we can channel audio outputs through Reason's effects?

I'd also like to see a "Freeze" button like in Cubase / Nuendo - to dynamically 'prerender' FX and other settings to a 'virtual' track to lessen the CPU load: it can either be 'unfrozen' or rendered permanently to audio.

Oh yeah - and AU support would be lovely...but I'd expect that to be automatic with a core engine upgrade!

If Ableton needs investors to make this happen faster, where do I sign up? Can we "pre-buy" our copies of Live 4 if it'll help pay the overtime? :)

rand

Post by rand » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:10 pm

Very well said ajkandy!!!!!

smutek

Re: Yay! And...

Post by smutek » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:12 pm

ajkandy wrote:How's about this in the meantime - adding more to the ReWire 2 implementation, in order to use Live as a slave application with Reason, so we can channel audio outputs through Reason's effects?

:)

Reason does not accept audio input. :cry:

astromass

live

Post by astromass » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:42 pm

yes, lack of audio input in reason is my main wish for ANY software.....reason 2.5 fits in sooo nicely with LIVe in osX.
thanks ableton for having such cool software. +()Dd
nyquist theorem and nyquil...

muser

Re: Audio Performance Questions Answered

Post by muser » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:09 am

Thank you Ableton.

ajkandy

If Ableton and Propellerheads work together...

Post by ajkandy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:32 pm

[quote]Reason does not accept audio input. :cry:[/quote]

That's by design, not for any technical reason. Reason has that "ReBirth Input Machine", so the Props could certainly implement a "Live Input Machine" - after all, didn't Propellerheads and Ableton do a "Reason+Live" promotional tour recently? Each complements each other so nicely - clean, simple, easy to use, very similar philosophy.

If Props disabled that for some reason - to prevent Reason from basically becoming a big stack of VSTs or whatnot - well, couldn't they make an exception in this case - if we all ask nicely? :)