ReWire does'nt work with Cubase VST

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
stevont

rewire / render issues

Post by stevont » Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:30 pm

FYI - I have noticed some rendering problems with LIVE 3. I sometimes get a blank file when I try to render the output of LIVE to an audio track in Cubase.

This would explain why the LIVE items are missing from your "exported" mix.

This problem is intermitent on my system and I haven't had the time to do a thorough test but I thought you might find this info useful.

good luck!

s

PS. I don't recall this being an issue in LIVE 2.

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:03 pm

EneA wrote::D

Can you explain me how "At the end of process I simply Export the song from Cubase with the Live tracks included in the Export via ReWire", actually works??
OK EneA.

Lets say I have a Live Set with 6 tracks containing samples/loops and 3 tracks of percussion.

And I want to record some synth tracks using a VST instrument.

I open a new Cubase Song and activate the ReWire tracks that I want to use in Live......for the sake of this example I will send all the Live tracks to the master out in Live..........nothing too complicated altho I could send the tracks in Live to different Outputs which would allow me to use more ReWire channels in Cubase but I will keep this example simple.

So in the ReWire activate Window in Cubase I select/activate the main/master mix channels (Left and right).

I now have a stereo ReWire channel appearing in the Cubase VST mixer.

I then boot up Live and load the Set I want to add to.

If everything is working properly I can hit play in Cubase and that should start Live and I should see the Live stereo mix coming into Cubase via the ReWire channels I selected in Cubase. Of course I must make sure the tempo in Cubase is set the same bpm as the Live Set.

Then I select the VSTi I want to use in Cubase and then, while playing along with the Live Set, record the midi/VSTi parts I want.

Now I have say 3 VSTi synth tracks in Cubase plus the 9 other tracks in Live.....all playing along together....12 tracks in total.

Then I make sure the Left Locator and Right Locator in Cubase are exactly at the start and end of the song. This is done in the arrange window in Cubase. When you move the locators in Cubase this will also move the start and end locators for the loop in Live.

Then I use the Export function in Cubase....I assume you are familiar with it......you have options like importing the exported track into a track in Cubase.

For example, I never record anything in tracks 1 and 2 in Cubase. I leave them blank so that when I export the exported track appears in them.
If you need more help on exporting let me know....

Anyway, when the Export process is finished I have a new stereo interleaved audio file in tracks 1/2 of Cubase.

This audio file contains the 9 tracks from Live plus the 3 tracks from Cubase......in other words the 12 tracks have been "recorded" to a new stereo track.

How does that sound EnaE...........does that help/make sense ??

Beatworld :)

EneA

Post by EneA » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:57 am

:D

This sounds excellent!! :o This is actually the thing I want to do!!??

Of course I'm familiar with the way you explained everything but I did'nt realize this thing could work in Cubase VST. I assume you also have Cubase VST 5.1 like I am?

I'll check this out as soon as I can and let you know of course whether it works or not.
One thing though. When I launch Live as a slave in Cubase I do get sound but I can't find Live's-output reference in the appointed midi-track's output. The stereo channels in the mixer are there but apparently it works a slight different in Reason as a ReWire slave. In the Cubase track-output you actually can see and select the relevant Reason output reference. Perhaps that confused me a little.

OK, thank you Beat, You hear from me soon.

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:45 am

EneA wrote::D

I assume you also have Cubase VST 5.1 like I am?

Yes, I use 5.2pb but what I have described will work with 5.1 for sure.

Beat :wink:

EneA

Post by EneA » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:21 am

:o

OK thanks.

EneA

Post by EneA » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:20 am

:oops:

Hi Beatworld,

Well, you are absolutely right about this. It works like hell!!!! :twisted:

Thanks very much for your great help!!!

Bye.