One (1) LIVE version for ALL that includes Operator/Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you think Ableton should ONLY sell One (1) LIVE version (for EVERYONE) with Operator/Sampler/++ included?

YEAH! ..... even with a SMALL price increase!
50%
HELL NO! ..... keep them as options and LIVE price down!
50%

Total votes: 62

woodie

One (1) LIVE version for ALL that includes Operator/Sampler?

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:25 pm

OK Ableton, I was thinking about Operator and your new Sampler this morning and the reason why I never bought Operator and now not really needing your new "Sampler" Instrument (since I own Cakewalk Dimension Pro and about 3 or 4 other VST synths).

I'm probably like other users around here that already own a few good reputable Subtractive/FM synths and buying Operator for the price you're asking for is very hard to justify. There are plenty of freewares available and alot of reputable synths out there are already priced affordably and go on discounts/group buys throughout the year thereby getting a "wanted synth" at even a better price (if one can wait!). Then....Cakewalk Project5 (and Reason) came to mind and how they have packaged themselves as compared to LIVE with all the synths already included when you purchase these two.

As a business model, I think LIVE with all the Audio & Midi effects included is a brilliant idea to grab and hold onto users esp. since 1) these tools are VERY WELL integrated in LIVE and b) average homegrown LIVE users, like me, don't have to worry about purchasing 3rd party tools and can use what is included in LIVE right out-of-the-box. Of course, it's a whole other debate whether or not the LIVE Audio effects are of acceptable quality, but that's not the point - they are good enough for what I do/need and I'm quite happy with them, albeit they should not stop enhancing and adding new tools, though! :wink:

So my question (actually suggestion) is why not just offer ONE version of LIVE for EVERYONE and package Operator & Sampler into it like Project5 (and Reason) with all it's included Synths and Effects? The benefits as I see are this:

BENEFITS
1) Easy to Purchase = ONE version of LIVE that includes everything is straight-forward = "you get all this when you go with LIVE". No gray areas, no beating heads on tables trying to decide - everything is included when you buy it. Pretty much like Project5 and Reason.

2) New/Existing Users would then have the desire to use Operator/Sampler in their material straight out-of-the-box. Users without a Sampler/Rompler - could also start using Sampler instead of having to decide between the various already-good samplers on the market and begin relying on Sampler.

3) By bundling all of Ableton's goodies into One (1) version of LIVE, this would ultimately keep customers for long-term since the instruments are used in their material. (This is surely already part of their business model)

4) If Sampler is as good as Ableton is touting it out to be, then those of us who already own a Sampler/Rompler - can feel easier about relying on Sampler since we already own LIVE and not worry about paying for an upgrade in the future (since it would be automatically part of LIVE and not a separate product); same with Operator.

5) Bundling Operator/Sampler and whatever you have stored in the future, (I think) would be very attractive to new customers who don't already own a Sequencer/Host (or thinking about jumping ship) and upon purchasing LIVE, they can start making music out-of-the-box (since there is no VST Synth included). Bundling the two together would give someone a better start esp. since one is a subtractive/FM synth and the other a Sampler with material (albeit the list of included samples you note on your site is weak I'm afraid...again, that's another discussion!).

6) Everyone would then have the same exact version of LIVE...no differences between owners thereby facilitating the idea of exchanging Live files between each other and making LIVE more "universal".

7) When beta testing new versions of LIVE, EVERYONE would have a chance to test/use Operator/Sampler + whatever new instruments you come out with....thereby receiving more feedback and making Live even more bullet-proof. Right now, if I'm beta testing a new version of LIVE...I have no desire to test Operator/Sampler since I don't own them and ultimately would have to purchase them.

DISADVANTAGES

1) No revenue from selling Operator/Sampler separately.

REBUTTLE: of course, a small price increase can go into LIVE to help offset the cost, but the goal here is to SELL LIVE (at a reasonable price) and to attract more people to the Host itself. If one doesn't have LIVE....it means one can't use Operator/Sampler since it's not a VST, so kinda defeats the purpose really to just sell the synths to LIVE users. Make it available as part of LIVE to help ATTRACT new customers and convince current users to stay.

2) Can't think of any other disadvantages really. Bundle everything and make all your good stuff available to everyone!

Anyway....as for someone like me = your average user that likes to write music for personal pleasure.....it just makes sense to go that route. Yes, I realize that there are professionals that also use LIVE, but I would put money down that the market for the "average music making lovers" is WAY BIGGER.

A good example of this kind of marketing - is in the gaming industry where now with the advent of Nintendo's Wii...there is a beginning to be a shift to more family-oriented games esp. since that market is bigger than pure/hardcore gamers.

Ableton is on a roll with LIVE and how unique, innovative and FUN it is to use. I truly love it and Ableton can count me in to stay, but if they're coming up with unique tools like Sampler and obviously keeping Operator around....then I think they should automatically make it available to all their customers instead of having us run off to purchase 3rd party synths and never to use Ableton's synths. Having them included in LIVE, they are right there like the Audio/Midi effects and I would imagine none of us would think twice about not using them.

WOW....sorry to go on there, just trying to get all my thoughts across while they're fresh. :roll:

Let's hear what you have to say...!

Cheers...

P.S.: Just decided to make this into a POLL to see how everyone else feels. 8)
Live 7.0.18 : www.tarnce.com

5dots

Post by 5dots » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I don't want to buy Operator. I'd like to not be forced to - it's as simple as that. Not everyone needs it, or Sampler.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:46 pm

I agree pretty strongly with this. Two points to support this:

- I had a Lite version of Live that came with some hardware, but I held off on buying Live for quite a while because the Operator confusion made it hard to determine the best deal.

- One of Live's strongest points over the competition is the excellent tutorial and sample content, but much of this won't work without Operator installed. But switching Operator between Hidden and Demo (for those who don't own it) can confuse the process - if you're paranoid about the configuration you use for your daily work, like me, you might opt to ignore some of this content just because you'd rather not fiddle. In this sense, ironically, Live shined brighter as a demo than it has since I bought it. If Operator were intact by default, that would not be the case. This really came to my attention after I downloaded the (probably excellent) Live Packs that frequently require Operator.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't want or need Operator or Sampler, and definitely don't need to pay for it.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:59 pm

Keep the initial price low. It's difficult to convince people to spend hundreds of dollars on software. The lower price makes it easier to sway people from buying Logic.

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:05 pm

5dots wrote:I don't want to buy Operator. I'd like to not be forced to - it's as simple as that. Not everyone needs it, or Sampler.
hambone1 wrote:I don't want or need Operator or Sampler, and definitely don't need to pay for it.
I totally understand where you guys are coming from and basically the reason why I haven't purchased Operator, but REALLY....the same argument could also go for the Audio Effects that are - BY DEFAULT - bundled with LIVE. Alot of folks bypass LIVE's effects and go onto using 3rd party ones, BUT! alot of us use the included effects as they're good enough for most users and I'm sure if Operator/Sampler were to be bundled.....I'm sure I'd use them too.

Not sure what the difference is between the LITE and FULL version of LIVE, but I would imagine if the LITE version is stripped of all the Effects, then that version would be suitable for those only wanting 3rd Party tools.

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:33 pm

Just a note of clarification to folks voting, that when I say in the Poll "YEAH! ..... even with a SMALL price increase!"....I'm really talking about a SMALL increase over the BASE price of LIVE 5.....WITHOUT Operator/Sampler, of course.

For example....

LIVE 5 Boxed = $499.00 (this is purchasing directly from Ableton, but you can get it cheaper locally if you know how to haggle)

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator = $648.00

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator + Sampler (hypothetically) = $767.00

Here are the direct sales prices of LIVE's 2 closest competitors:

Project5 Boxed = $429.00 (includes 7 or 8 synths + effects)
Project5 Boxed + Dimension Pro = $528.00

Reason = $499.00 (basically 6 synths + effects)

SO....in this case and hence the Poll, (I think) it makes more sense for Ableton to throw everything in and to price LIVE more like this:

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator + Sampler (hypothetically) = between $500.00 - $549.00 (and to maintain the same price for future versions or to align just higher than the competition).

Downloadable and Upgrade prices would reflect basically the same ratio in the price increase.
Last edited by woodie on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:36 pm

woodie wrote:Just a note of clarification to folks voting, that when I say in the Poll "YEAH! ..... even with a SMALL price increase!"....I'm really talking about a SMALL increase over the BASE price of LIVE 5.....WITHOUT Operator/Sampler, of course.

For example....

LIVE 5 Boxed = $499.00 (this is purchasing directly from Ableton, but you can get it cheaper locally if you know how to haggle)

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator = $648.00

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator + Sampler (hypothetically) = $767.00

Here are the direct sales prices of LIVE's 2 closest competitors:

Project5 Boxed = $429.00 (includes 7 or 8 synths + effects)
Project5 Boxed + Dimension Pro = $528.00

Reason = $499.00 (basically 6 synths + effects)

SO....in this case and hence the Poll, (I think) it makes more sense for Ableton to throw everything in and to price LIVE more like this:

LIVE 5 Boxed + Operator + Sampler (hypothetically) = between $500 - $549.00 (and to maintain the same price for future versions or to align just higher than the competition).

Downloadable and Upgrade prices would reflect basically the same ratio in the price increase.
I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I don't see that as a small price increase.

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:41 pm

LOFA wrote:I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I don't see that as a small price increase.
LOFA - If a 10% increase in price is too much for you....then I wonder how much of Ableton's client base is truly strapped for cash. $50.00 more for what you get is nothing compared to the total cost of the base package of LIVE. If you already spent $500 on LIVE....surely you could afford to spend another $30 - $50 more, right??

glu

Post by glu » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:01 pm

I bought Live for $250. Why would I want to spend that much more?
I think they should just cut the price down on Operator and sampler.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm

woodie wrote:
LOFA wrote:I'm not sure where you are coming from, but I don't see that as a small price increase.
LOFA - If a 10% increase in price is too much for you....then I wonder how much of Ableton's client base is truly strapped for cash. $50.00 more for what you get is nothing compared to the total cost of the base package of LIVE. If you already spent $500 on LIVE....surely you could afford to spend another $30 - $50 more, right??
I'm sorry. I was in disbelief of the time and effort that went into this thread to suggest that ableton create new products for virtually nothing, and I hesitated to even register the final figures you came up with as I stared despairingly at the figures that would be the total part sum as of now, in fear that it was my only option. I hate this topic and it was wrong of me to post. Usually I read a whole post before I quote it. I have no excuse. I simply think it is bad idea, and that your suggestion lacks an appreciation for the Abe's effort to show respect to the portion its use base that already has samplers and fm synths up the gazoo.

The prices you suggest seem engineered to hurt Mr. Henke's feelings.

I'm gonna go put on a hot DJ SubWoof track and meditate about this though...

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:30 pm

glu wrote:I bought Live for $250. Why would I want to spend that much more?
I think they should just cut the price down on Operator and sampler.
glu...how much more do you think I mean? I'm only talking about say up to $50 more to have everything bundled in a NEW BOXED VERSION of LIVE.

SO...in your case....say you upgraded to Live 6 that would hypothetically also include Operator & Sampler - would you complain if the Downloadable UPGRADE Price was $131.00 instead of US$119.00 (an only 10% increase)? So for an upgrade....that would really mean that both Operator & Sampler would cost only $6.00 each!

The point I'm trying to make is.....bundle everything and price it reasonable to attract MORE NEW CUSTOMERS and keep current users hooked on LIVE. With Operator + Sampler being "options"....you add the 2 up + the Base Price....and the price of LIVE is then WAY OUT of the ballpark (US$767.00). So I don't see where the logic is in holding us LIVE users from these tools since us LIVE owners are the only ones able to use them!

BTW - I also purchased LIVE at around $250.00 through a demo promo and I would gladly pay around $131-$150 for a downloadable upgrade, that mind you.....would ALWAYS have Operator/Sampler in LIVE + any facelifts it goes through in the future.

Let's not forget the pricing structure I'm proposing also includes new stuff that Ableton is planning in the future. I'm just saying....forget options...bundle everything and price it right and everyone would benefit.

ekko

Post by ekko » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:44 pm

The fact that this thread even exists goes prove that Ableton Marketing has a LONG way to go to dig itself out of the negative equity associated with the extraordinarly high prices of Operator and Sampler.

They bungled this right from the get-go.

This discussion should never have to take place, yet a new thread appears about this just about every week or so.

Come on, Ableton, you know you screwed up with all this overpriced, add-on nonsense. Fix the problem.

The Propellerheads, for example, offer addons to Reason (RDK and the new piano)...yet you NEVER see threads over there bitching about the prices or suggesting that they be included with Reason. Why? I'll tell you why:

Because those addons are fairly priced for what they are. The perceived value is higher than the street price, therefore, no complaints. In fact, only kudos.

So why all the backlash over similar addons here at Ableton? Again, I'll tell you why.

Operator and Simpler are way overpriced. The perceived value is significantly lower than the asking price. That's the ONLY reason this issue keeps coming up. If the perceived value of Operator were equivelant to a $200 or $300 synth, the asking price of $150 is reasonable. But it's not. And Simpler? Even worse, IMO.

And Ableton certainly can't go back and lower the price now...they've had just enough Operator purchasers, who are very vocal, who would throw a fit if Operator were suddenly priced appropriately. (Like, around $50 at the most.)

So, they're screwed.

woodie

Post by woodie » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:48 pm

LOFA wrote:I'm sorry. I was in disbelief of the time and effort that went into this thread to suggest that ableton create new products for virtually nothing, and I hesitated to even register the final figures you came up with as I stared despairingly at the figures that would be the total part sum as of now, in fear that it was my only option. I hate this topic and it was wrong of me to post. Usually I read a whole post before I quote it. I have no excuse. I simply think it is bad idea, and that your suggestion lacks an appreciation for the Abe's effort to show respect to the portion its use base that already has samplers and fm synths up the gazoo.

The prices you suggest seem engineered to hurt Mr. Henke's feelings.

I'm gonna go put on a hot DJ SubWoof track and meditate about this though...
Hey man....by no means am I trying to "hurt" anyone here. Obviously you are a passionate LIVE user....as am I. I am just trying to be open-minded here as the way I see Ableton marketing LIVE and the way LIVE is BUILT....it just makes more sense to include it all and price it a bit more to help attract NEW CUSTOMERS and keep us locked into LIVE.

When I purchased LIVE...I didn't have any VSTs, so in order to use it how I wanted to....I went straight to looking for a VST synth to play with. Needless to say...I was in the same boat as "mbenigni".

Would you feel the same way if LIVE was sold without the Effects and Ableton came along and raised the price a bit to include the Effects? So far we have taken the included Effects for granted and as far as I know the Audio/Midi effects have always been included.

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 pm

one reason i agree with the premise of the post is that impulse and simpler are so basic to me. on top of that, operator is used in a majority of the built in tutorials. i know this is to remind people of it's existence...but it is a TUTORIAL ON THE SOFTWARE WE OWN. so all that putting operator in the tutorial over and over means to me is that i don't have much to learn without operator.