Hasta la vista, vista......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm

smutek wrote:The Adobe and Macromedia suites are the industry standards.
Indeed. For a lot of people Rosetta emulation means that they are getting similar performance for Adobe stuff (from what I've read) as the G4. So I think they might be relying on that fact for the moment.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:10 pm

robin wrote:I suspect NI are less essential to most people compared to the massive Adobe too (Adobe will just about get away with it). NI have really slipped up if you ask me.
True, but this isn't about adobe vs. NI. Each one has their own porting troubles, I'm sure.

Oh yeah, and you might find this blog entry by an adobe engineer to be an interesting read..

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:12 pm

sqook wrote:
robin wrote:I suspect NI are less essential to most people compared to the massive Adobe too (Adobe will just about get away with it). NI have really slipped up if you ask me.
True, but this isn't about adobe vs. NI. Each one has their own porting troubles, I'm sure.
oh aye. I agree.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:14 pm

robin wrote:
Indeed. For a lot of people Rosetta emulation means that they are getting similar performance for Adobe stuff (from what I've read) as the G4. So I think they might be relying on that fact for the moment.
It really depends on your workload. I don't have any personal experience with Rosetta, but I have been warned to stay away as the emulation is just not up to par for heavy workloads.

Honestly, the new machines look very tasty but it's gear/tech lust more than anything that makes me want one. I just bought a new dual core G5 and a 23 inch display in December and its a really nice computer. It handles everything I can throw at it so far so I will most likely be set for a while as far as my tower goes.

My next major computer purchase will be a new machine for my wife, and a new laptop for me.

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:15 pm

sqook wrote: Oh yeah, and you might find this blog entry by an adobe engineer to be an interesting read..
Just read that. Very interesting read and pretty much as I'd thought. I think there's a new Xcode out isn't there? That may help.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:24 pm

smutek wrote:I barely see Corel mentioned anymore
YAY!!
smutek wrote:Freehand was the main competition to illustrator and from what I understand they (Corel) have stopped development of Freehand.
When did Corel acquire Freehand, or was that just a slip-up? Corel did Corel Draw, but I thought Macromedia retained Freehand.

Anyhow, I'm still on AI 10 and PS 7 here. I didn't buy into the whole CS business myself, and as far as I'm concerned (although I haven't used CS2) AI 8 was the product's zenith. Clean and quick, pre-bloat.
Image Image

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:30 pm

robin wrote:
sqook wrote: Oh yeah, and you might find this blog entry by an adobe engineer to be an interesting read..
Just read that. Very interesting read and pretty much as I'd thought. I think there's a new Xcode out isn't there? That may help.
Yes, there are actually two new Xcode builds out, but they are only being released to "selected developers by developer type and region", whatever the hell that means. There is an update to the 2.x version, which is mostly a bugfix for the current version, and includes better support for OSX 10.4.7. Xcode 3.0 will target leopard developers (see apple's preview page) and have a number of new features and enhancements. I've reported a number of bugs for Xcode 2.3, so I'm verrrry interested to download this update... well, whenever the hell apple decides to let me, that is. ;)

As for whether this will help adobe out, who knows? From the looks of that blog, it seems like there's a lot of PPC-specific code in photoshop that needs to be completely rewritten for intel.

and @ smutek, you're right, it really depends on what you're doing. As has been stated many times in the past, realtime audio + rosetta doesn't work too well. However, I have many applications I run in rosetta and most of them work fine. Hell, photoshop on my macbook in rosetta is still faster than running natively on my 1.5Ghz g4 powerbook.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:01 pm

sqook wrote:and @ smutek, you're right, it really depends on what you're doing. As has been stated many times in the past, realtime audio + rosetta doesn't work too well. However, I have many applications I run in rosetta and most of them work fine. Hell, photoshop on my macbook in rosetta is still faster than running natively on my 1.5Ghz g4 powerbook.
I would hope so. It takes like 5 minutes to open Photoshop on my PB.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
sqook wrote:and @ smutek, you're right, it really depends on what you're doing. As has been stated many times in the past, realtime audio + rosetta doesn't work too well. However, I have many applications I run in rosetta and most of them work fine. Hell, photoshop on my macbook in rosetta is still faster than running natively on my 1.5Ghz g4 powerbook.
I would hope so. It takes like 5 minutes to open Photoshop on my PB.
Actually, I stand corrected. I just ran some rough benchmarks, and it runs faster natively. However, the program is really quite usable via rosetta, so I hadn't noticed a substantial difference before (thus leading to my mis-statement).

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:35 pm

smutek wrote:
Digi V wrote:
how could you wait? truly how the hell could you not buy a new computer if you've been waiting?
One word. Adobe.

Adobe will not be releasing universal binary apps till the fall when it releases CS3, or whatever they will call the next bloated incarnation of their software suite. So, as attractive as these intel machines look, especially the new towers, they are not an option for me till Adobe catches up.

I know this is a music forum, but I do design for a living. Without UB of Adobe apps.
a Mac Pro is nothing more than an expensive toy for me.

once again, go back and read my post, i said THIS SPRING COMING UP!, meaning spring 2007, when NI, Adobe ,etc should have already ported everything.

NI needs to hurry the fuck up by the way.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:04 pm

polyslax wrote:When did Corel acquire Freehand, or was that just a slip-up? Corel did Corel Draw, but I thought Macromedia retained Freehand.

Anyhow, I'm still on AI 10 and PS 7 here. I didn't buy into the whole CS business myself, and as far as I'm concerned (although I haven't used CS2) AI 8 was the product's zenith. Clean and quick, pre-bloat.
No you are correct, that was a slip up on my part. But I do wonder if Adobe acquired or has some sort of interest in Corel, when I bought CS2 Corel painter came bundled with it. I use Painter occasionally, pretty interesting application.

I'm interested to see how Adobe is going to integrate the macromedia suite into the creative suite. Like what are they going to do with go-live? I would imagine they will drop it, it's kind of redundant at this point. Then there is fireworks, I own it but I don't really use it. It does have a pretty tight integration with Dream-weaver though. So yeah, I am interested to see how that all plays out.

As far as performance goes, the speed increase from my powerbook to my G5 tower is substantial. I could not justify an intelmac that would run like a G4. not to mention if I bought one now my wife would leave me...

:?

lol, Like I said, I'm really doing ok with my current machine. I think it's going to be a couple of years before I buy a new tower.
Digi V wrote: once again, go back and read my post, i said THIS SPRING COMING UP!, meaning spring 2007, when NI, Adobe ,etc should have already ported everything.
You are right, everything should be pretty much sorted out by spring time.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 pm

a little demo on spaces. http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/spaces.html

personally my fav new feature.

can you just picture how well this will optimize your working environment?

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 am

Yeah man, I was checking that out on the keynote video. Looks really cool.