Hasta la vista, vista......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 am

Digi V wrote:also, for that whole second gen stuff, thats all a bunch of bah. the new MBP's really have not had any true significant problems besides the whine,( which in my opinion is very minor) and is now being fixed by apple.

if you can wait for a second gen then hell, go for it, but dont talk about it like its 100 percent positive you wil get a faulty machine with the first gen.
I agree, my macbook has no whine. it's the second 2.16ghz revision of the first generation. My second generation 667 powerbook was a dog, whiles the first generation G4 500 before it was much faster. Total contradiction of the first generation myth. Buying a computer as soon as it comes out is a risk, buying it a few months in isn't that much of a risk.
the applications not being ready, that isn't a minor issue. I still work mainly on the G5, I'll be on the macbook more when NI port.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:54 am

speaking of NI.........

where da fuck are the goddamed UB versions!........

ok, back to the thread.......oh....sorry..........

I have to add that all this new "ooooooo, ahhhhhhh" stuff realeased says to me ......"fu.....in-a".....now what are developers/plugins/host/etc gonna do........is it gonna be faster or take foreverto get it ported/upgraded........!.....

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Machinesworking wrote: I'm hoping the "Top Secret" stuff talked about in the keynote is the Wine type emulator... :wink:
I can't see them going that route. More likely a virtualised bootcamp requiring a Windows license. Keeping MS happy.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:04 pm

robin wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: I'm hoping the "Top Secret" stuff talked about in the keynote is the Wine type emulator... :wink:
I can't see them going that route. More likely a virtualised bootcamp requiring a Windows license. Keeping MS happy.
MS just announced that they wont be doing virtual PC anymore :wink:

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:12 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Yeah in this day and age that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:17 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
robin wrote:
I thought the wording of the Bootcamp documentation pretty much implies built-in virtualisation. Something along the lines of Bootcamp being an interim solution and will be phased out for 'something else' in Leopard.

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:22 pm

Angstrom wrote: I thought the wording of the Bootcamp documentation pretty much implies built-in virtualisation. Something along the lines of Bootcamp being an interim solution and will be phased out for 'something else' in Leopard.
I thought that was the plan too, but Phil Schiller has been quoted saying that won't happen. I don't believe him...Maybe he was mis-quoted or something.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:23 pm

robin wrote:
Angstrom wrote: I thought the wording of the Bootcamp documentation pretty much implies built-in virtualisation. Something along the lines of Bootcamp being an interim solution and will be phased out for 'something else' in Leopard.
I thought that was the plan too, but Phil Schiller has been quoted saying that won't happen. I don't believe him...Maybe he was mis-quoted or something.
When Apple deny's something. It usually means that they're working on it. Video ipod for example....

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:24 pm

robin wrote:
yeah, an Apple denial.

hmmm.

Apple Denies Intel Rumour

May 23rd, 2005

The word on the street was that Apple considering using Intel processors in future Mac products. The talks with Intel were reportedly aimed at replacing the current crop of IBM and Motorola PowerPC chips in an effort to keep up in performance terms with Intel-based PCs.

However, Apple are denying the reports stating the news should be placed ‘in the category of rumour and speculation’.
:lol:

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:26 pm

Yup I agree with you both :)

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Digi V wrote:
how could you wait? truly how the hell could you not buy a new computer if you've been waiting?
One word. Adobe.

Adobe will not be releasing universal binary apps till the fall when it releases CS3, or whatever they will call the next bloated incarnation of their software suite. So, as attractive as these intel machines look, especially the new towers, they are not an option for me till Adobe catches up.

I know this is a music forum, but I do design for a living. Without UB of Adobe apps. a Mac Pro is nothing more than an expensive toy for me.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 pm

smutek wrote:
Digi V wrote:
how could you wait? truly how the hell could you not buy a new computer if you've been waiting?
One word. Adobe.
Like I said before Native Instruments are not ready yet. Reactor and Absynth are among my top four soft instruments used.

I could bash on NI about it, but realistically according to original timelines for intel macs, it's only been a month since Intel macs were released. Large companies fit projects into a timeline to make room for development etc. they can't always change their plans for Apple's marketing tricks.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
smutek wrote:
Digi V wrote:
One word. Adobe.
Like I said before Native Instruments are not ready yet. Reactor and Absynth are among my top four soft instruments used.

I could bash on NI about it, but realistically according to original timelines for intel macs, it's only been a month since Intel macs were released. Large companies fit projects into a timeline to make room for development etc. they can't always change their plans for Apple's marketing tricks.
I beg to differ. Any company seriously developing for the mac has known about the intel migration for exactly a year; since it was announced at WWDC last year. And even though the intel macs were only recently released, members of the ADC (apple developer connection) had the chance to get ahold of pre-release hardware and software to start porting their stuff to the platform early. Apple would be fools to make a broad architecture switch without knowing there would be a decent amount of software available from the first day on.

I would have done this myself, but for my company's size, it just didn't make sense, so we made the choice to wait until the intel mac was officially released and then port our products to it afterwards. Since NI is substantially larger, I would be very surprised if they were not working on the switch before intel macs were even out.

But hey, who knows... maybe they just use a lot of pointer arithmatic and other stuff in their code that made it difficult to port. ;)

robin

Post by robin » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:55 pm

I suspect NI are less essential to most people compared to the massive Adobe too (Adobe will just about get away with it). NI have really slipped up if you ask me.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:04 pm

That's a good point Robin.

With Adobe one really has no other options, especially since they bought up Macromedia. The Adobe and Macromedia suites are the industry standards. Ofcourse there is Quark, but more and more companies are making the transition to indesign for page layout, though at this point one really needs to know both indesign and Quark.

I barely see Corel mentioned anymore, Freehand was the main competition to illustrator and from what I understand they (Corel) have stopped development of Freehand.

Ofcourse there are other programs for page layout, image editing, vector, web, etc., but if you want to work it is expected and required that you will be proficient with, and will use the Adobe line. And again, since they have bought macromedia it is pretty much a monopoly.

An example would be if NI (god forbid) held a similar monopoly over music applications. There may be some other alternatives out there, but if you plan to work on a professional level you would need to use NI products.
Last edited by smutek on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.