Hasta la vista, vista......

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:I thought it was funny the whole "start your photocopiers" thing came right before he announces the new backup system - which seems remarkably similar to XPs 'system restore' . It automatically tracks changes in your setup , what you installed etc. then you look at a 'timeline' or on XP a calendar , and pick what day you want to roll-back to. well 'roll back' is what it's called on xp, I guess it will be called something else now steve has invented it.
Time machine ;)

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:I thought it was funny the whole "start your photocopiers" thing came right before he announces the new backup system - which seems remarkably similar to XPs 'system restore' . It automatically tracks changes in your setup , what you installed etc. then you look at a 'timeline' or on XP a calendar , and pick what day you want to roll-back to. well 'roll back' is what it's called on xp, I guess it will be called something else now steve has invented it.
Party Pooper! :P
Image Image

Apocrypha

Post by Apocrypha » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:30 pm

Doesn't look like he is gonan do the "Just one more thing"... :(
Dual 2.5gig G5 with 2.5g/ram, DP 4.6, Live 6, Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig, EWQLSO Gold, Ivory, Pluggo, Waves, Tritone Digital, PSP, tons of free plug-ins, DFHS, BFD, Event ASP8's, Trigger Finger.....and a bunch of other shite.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:37 pm

Apocrypha wrote:Doesn't look like he is gonan do the "Just one more thing"... :(
are you thinking of the right guy?

capta1nA

Post by capta1nA » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:54 pm

10.5 is gonna be sick

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:18 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
Time machine ;)
Holy shit. Does that feature work like it does in XP?
Thats one awesome looking feature.
Check the video http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:38 pm

4 terabytes of virtual memory. Hmmm. let me guess- another eihjt slots for 1 gb stics? :roll:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:56 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Time machine ;)
I tried to look at the vid but ...
"quicktime is missing software required to perform this activity : unfortunately the software is not available on the server". I think that translates as - PC user, we don't care if you see this.

I'll just guess that it is similar to the XP thing but looks a lot nicer.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:10 pm

Angstrom wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: Time machine ;)
I tried to look at the vid but ...
"quicktime is missing software required to perform this activity : unfortunately the software is not available on the server". I think that translates as - PC user, we don't care if you see this.

I'll just guess that it is similar to the XP thing but looks a lot nicer.
That figures :lol:

A shame you cant watch the vid. Those colab features in ichat look like they will kick ass. Share desktop and even remotely operate it....
That'll come in handy for many scenario's.

Add that with the midi/audi streaming apps out there (or built into the system)......

Collaboration galore :wink:

All we need now is 100mbit internet lines i guess.
If i'm not wrong. These data sharing apps work as plugins that have delay compensation. "latency free" collaboration seems to be possible if you're willing to accept a delay on both sides.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:38 am

hoffman2k wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Time machine ;)
Actually it looks pretty different, with XP it's about ghosting the entire OS etc., nothing mentioned about OS instability issues due to third party drivers being fixed by restoring the OS to an earlier configuration etc. the kind of thing System Restore is good for, this is more about a sort of multiple undo for the trash.... I think it's kind of stupid actually...

Count me as one who hopes that Leopard has a lot going on under the hood, because Tiger was miles above it in terms of introducing features.

Also, though technological advancements like 64 bit computing and basics like a mouse and click drag etc. are open territory, it is painfully obvious that Microsoft have been mining Apple OS ideas for years, and Vista is such a total rip off of the look and feel of OSX that it isn't even funny. I think that's more what Jobs was talking about.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:44 am

i reckon this spring will be the greatest time to EVER buy a mac.

with new intel 64bit duel core chips and new osx

how could you wait? truly how the hell could you not buy a new computer if you've been waiting?

perfect time.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 am

Digi V wrote:i reckon this spring will be the greatest time to EVER buy a mac.

how could you wait? truly how the hell could you not buy a new computer if you've been waiting?

perfect time.
I asked my web designer mate who has always been one of these "macs are the best" people for years why he didnt yet have a macbook pro and his reply was "ALWAYS wait for 2nd gen mac stuff"

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:04 am

perfect time.
Uh? perfect time for who? because like you, I bought a macbook pro already, that and a dual 2.5 G5... I haven't even begun to use them in full force, what they replaced came in at less than half as fast, and NI are not ready for Intel mac yet.

In fact, Waldorf, Cycling 74, Native instruments, and a few other plug ins of mine are not ready for UB yet. Waldorf (PPG Wave, Attack, and D-Pole for me) will be a crap shoot as to whether it will ever be UB.:cry:

Uh-He, FXPansion, and a few others are still beta.

Hey, be happy there are fast machines out and all, I'm just putting in a little perspective.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:29 am

Machinesworking wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Yeah, like I said, something similar to Wine, but embedded in the OS.
Will i be able to play San Andreas? :lol:
If my information isn't total BS, yes........ no guarantees that it isn't total BS though! :lol:
I'm hoping the "Top Secret" stuff talked about in the keynote is the Wine type emulator... :wink:

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:33 am

Machinesworking wrote:

perfect time.
Uh? perfect time for who? because like you, I bought a macbook pro already, that and a dual 2.5 G5... I haven't even begun to use them in full force, what they replaced came in at less than half as fast, and NI are not ready for Intel mac yet.

In fact, Waldorf, Cycling 74, Native instruments, and a few other plug ins of mine are not ready for UB yet. Waldorf (PPG Wave, Attack, and D-Pole for me) will be a crap shoot as to whether it will ever be UB.:cry:

Uh-He, FXPansion, and a few others are still beta.

Hey, be happy there are fast machines out and all, I'm just putting in a little perspective.
of course for early adopters like ourselves who purchased the new MBP already it doesn't apply.

so like i said (read the post more carefully) for anyone who has waited why not get a new mac come this spring?

also, for that whole second gen stuff, thats all a bunch of bah. the new MBP's really have not had any true significant problems besides the whine,( which in my opinion is very minor) and is now being fixed by apple.

if you can wait for a second gen then hell, go for it, but dont talk about it like its 100 percent positive you wil get a faulty machine with the first gen.