Will Ableton fix Live 2.1.1?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:36 pm

Dear Live users!

1) Bugs in 2.1.1. In spite of heavy testing, the Windows version introduced a bug that causes, under certain cicumstances, a temporary freeze of the program's GUI during pre-listening; zooming into samples; recording Session View clips. This bug is very difficult to reproduce and therefore very hard to fix. We have narrowed the problem down and hope to fix it asap. When the fix is available, we will publish it as a free downloadable update. We apologize for your inconvenience.

2) In-house testing and quality control. Our software interferes with a lot of other very complex systems, namely: operating systems; audio and MIDI hardware; VST plug-ins; ReWire host and client programs. The interconnection of these systems is the cause of most hard to find and fix bugs. Although we spend a tremendous amount of time (and therefore money) on internal testing, we simply have no chance to test against all possible interferences with the systems our software interacts with, simply because the number of machines in the office is limited. We were, for instance, unable to reproduce the 2.1.1 bug described above on any of our machines until a couple of days ago.

3) Public Beta Testing. Due to the situation described above, and because many of our users expressed their wish to participate in Live's development, we have chosen to try public beta tests. In spite of our initial hesitation, all of our public beta test periods were extremely helpful and we have enjoyed working with the Live users a great deal. However, we are only asking those users who like to go on a bug hunt with our team. We can more than understand users who resent to the idea of testing software they pay for and don't want them to feel constrained in any way.

Thank you.

Gerhard / ableton

Tommy D

Post by Tommy D » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:38 pm

Thanks Gerhard, good news.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:38 pm

Another Guest wrote: It's sometimes impossible for Programmers to account for every possible Windows configuration because users have a tendency to download bad crap, configure their PCs in odd ways, etc. (you're probably a Kazaa user huh?)
Real smart: anyone who makes any criticism must be a Kazaa user. Right. Just how old are you? I’ve been using Live legitimately for quite some time, and it’s by far my favorite music tool. I have contacted Ableton about the problems I’ve had with 2.1.1, and they’ve always done a great job of replying with suggestions. In the end, however, the software is just buggy—certainly not on all systems, but on enough to indicate the Ableton has a responsibility to fix it. Even if ALL of your friends (what is that, one or two people?) don’t have problems with the new version, browsing these forums should indicate these problems DO exist.

Ableton is a great company, and I’m having a great time with 2.0; but I do think it would be a mistake to roll out Live 3 without cleaning up 2.1 (especially since the original 2.0 installer is no longer available on the website. As a fan and friend to Ableton, I would counsel them to fix the flaws before asking customers to buy an upgrade (it’s just good business practice).

pgunders

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:43 pm

Ooops. Gerhard must have posted that noted while I was composing my tirade. Just more confirmation these guys are attentive and hardworking.

Thanks,
pgunders

raapie

great news

Post by raapie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:32 pm

thanks Ableton 8)
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

Another Guest

To Tommy D and others

Post by Another Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:42 am

I think many of you missed my point and instead decided to accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about (Tommy D) and to belittle me.

As Gerhard posted, it is very difficult to test against every type of system especially in Windows (and yes, I am a Windows user Tommy D) and all I was saying was that I and the people I work with in my project (which includes 4 Windows users and 2 Mac users) have not experienced these issue just as Ableton had a difficult time replicating these issues on their systems.

Why did I bring up Kazaa? Not because I was accusing anyone of having a copied version of Live, but because with the last few years of testing experience I've had for various software companies, I have found that the users that have the most problems are the ones that use Peer to Peer programs like Kazaa which open them up to Hackers and Virus' and even in Kazaa's Users Agreement, you are giving them the right to 'farm-out' your computer's processing time to other companies so that they may test their own programs on your system... whether you know it or not...

And yet, you bunch of whining spoiled brats want to tell ME to grow up and want to call me names! Well Screw you all!!!

All I was saying is, that of course, if there is a bug that is replicable and fixable, the Ableton's are not going to charge you just to get that fixed... But you all made it seem like "how dare they charge us for version 3 without fixing all of the many thousands of bugs we have on 2.1.1" well calm done and let's wait to see what happens before we all get our panties in a wad...

...you ARE all a bunch of whining complaining children!

-NB

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:33 am

oh for heavens sake.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:20 am

AG I'm serious man you freakin' rule ! Nah man, c'mon, chill out. It's all good. I like Mac, PC, and Ableton Live and I don't like Kazaa so I think that means we are on the same side or something. :)

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:21 am

Anonymous wrote:AG I'm serious man you freakin' rule ! Nah man, c'mon, chill out. It's all good. I like Mac, PC, and Ableton Live and I don't like Kazaa so I think that means we are on the same side or something. :)
Oh yea, this is me, Tommy D speaking.

speedbird

Post by speedbird » Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:48 am

Ableton, could you please post the last working version before 2.1.1 on your webpage again?

It's impossible to work with the file-browser bug for me. Unfortunately I don't have the old installer anymore.

I think the version I need is 2.0.3?

I hope you'll be able to post a fix soon. 2.1.1 is a real nightmare!

thanks,

Steve

Another Guest

Post by Another Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:18 pm

...and I apologize to everyone for my previous rant.... it was just a bad day at work. Truce?

-NB

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:35 am

thought this might be helpful to some...

i am running live 2.1.1 on a dell latitude c600 laptop under win2k.

re: live freezing temporarily when zooming/browsing, i have found that if you turn down the priority of the live process in task manager to some level below "normal," the freezing is less severe. this comes at the expense of a decreased redraw speed, of course, but audio seems unaffected.

raapie

ggggg

Post by raapie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:43 am

get 212
Marco Raaphorst

speedbird

Post by speedbird » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:18 am

Trying to be funny or what?

raapie

no

Post by raapie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:30 am

get version 212, this solves the problems you are describing.

why call this funny?
Marco Raaphorst