Quite dissapointed to Sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:09 pm

not yet. or maybe never. ( i would love to do a true granular / wavetable / timestrech /resynthsis thingie one day, which allows to do all sorts of extreme manipuation of pitch and time of a sample.....)

Robert

deva

Post by deva » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Machinate wrote:
deva wrote:I can find no way to control sample pitch or play speed independently in Sampler... no timestretching facility at all?
Look in some of the other sampler discussions (!) or look at the preset SweetJesus linked to in the beginning of this thread.. It's called something with "Timestretch"...
I just downloaded the preset... thanks, now I understand what is being talked about.

annihilator.1

Post by annihilator.1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:19 pm

if all samples/layers of a voice must have the same settings then the settings can't be appropriate for all samples in a multi layer patch.

yes i did read about multiple instances in a rack but if that is the case these features may have well been added to simpler!

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:39 pm

annihilator.1 wrote:if all samples/layers of a voice must have the same settings then the settings can't be appropriate for all samples in a multi layer patch.

yes i did read about multiple instances in a rack but if that is the case these features may have well been added to simpler!

thats how i feel.i think having sampler would be redundant.maybe im not getting something

coldmachine

Post by coldmachine » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:43 pm

What happens when you load an Akai or Kontakt programme that contains diffent settings per sample or zone? Are the sttings ignored?
If you end up with just raw multi-samples then a great deal of pre-existing material will be useless inside L6.
Last edited by coldmachine on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:18 pm

coldmachine wrote:What happens when you load an Akai or contact programme that contains diffent settings per sample or zone? Are the sttings ignored?
If you end up with just raw multi-samples then a great deal of pre-existing material will be useless inside L6.
Yes, this is an interesting point. Anyone of the testers that have tried to load an akai program?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:28 pm

deva wrote:
Machinate wrote:
deva wrote:I can find no way to control sample pitch or play speed independently in Sampler... no timestretching facility at all?
Look in some of the other sampler discussions (!) or look at the preset SweetJesus linked to in the beginning of this thread.. It's called something with "Timestretch"...
I just downloaded the preset... thanks, now I understand what is being talked about.
When I click on that link, a bunch of typed gibberish comes up. What am I missing? I'd like to check this patch.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:30 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: When I click on that link, a bunch of typed gibberish comes up. What am I missing? I'd like to check this patch.
right-click and "save target as..."

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:29 am

coldmachine wrote:What happens when you load an Akai or Kontakt programme that contains diffent settings per sample or zone? Are the sttings ignored?
Good question...

:?: anyone :?:
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:35 am

From one of the tutorials included in Live 6b:
Note that some multisample files will be converted to Instrument Rack presets that contain several Sampler instances used to emulate the original more accurately.
Over at KVR somebody wrote:
It [i.e. Sampler] cannot fully import the file formats with all the attendant sound settings. There are also serious problem just importing the supported formats in the first place let alone per sample edit issues.
Haven't tried it myself...
Last edited by Zerobae on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:46 am

Robert Henke wrote: The fact that you cannot control sampe sstart, loop start and loop length in Sampler directly via MIDI or automation / clip envelopes is NOT part of a brilliant new concept, it is just not finished yet, and unfortunaltely i cannot even promise it will be in in 6.0. The only statement i can give here is, that i am also missing it like hell and will make sure it`s priority will remain high.....

Cheers, Robert
Hi Robert.

As this add-on is unfinished in terms of your "brilliant new concept", would it not be better to postpone the launch of Sampler until it is ready? Not Live 6, just the Sampler, so that you have time to put in all the core things you intended...?

It occurs to me that reviews will be written and opinions formed based on the launch product. However much cool stuff you add in the .0x updates, that stuff is largely ignored, and has to fight against opinions that are already formed...

Also, once the full intended features are added, there might be less concern about the additional cost of $200.

Listen on Soundcloud

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:51 am

headquest wrote:
Robert Henke wrote: The fact that you cannot control sampe sstart, loop start and loop length in Sampler directly via MIDI or automation / clip envelopes is NOT part of a brilliant new concept, it is just not finished yet, and unfortunaltely i cannot even promise it will be in in 6.0. The only statement i can give here is, that i am also missing it like hell and will make sure it`s priority will remain high.....

Cheers, Robert
Hi Robert.

As this add-on is unfinished in terms of your "brilliant new concept", would it not be better to postpone the launch of Sampler until it is ready? Not Live 6, just the Sampler, so that you have time to put in all the core things you intended...?

It occurs to me that reviews will be written and opinions formed based on the launch product. However much cool stuff you add in the .0x updates, that stuff is largely ignored, and has to fight against opinions that are already formed...

Also, once the full intended features are added, there might be less concern about the additional cost of $200.
You're missing the point. Sampler isn't unfinished.
Live is unfinished. And it will always be that way. As long as there are features, there will be feature requests.

Multisampling is a Live thing that needs optimizing.
Most of the stuff you guys want to do with Sampler, can be done with Simpler/Impulse...
All Live needs is an advanced import option.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:03 am

But hoffman, how do you justify the $200 for Sampler then? I'm not saying I'll never buy it, because I'll need a better sampler than Simpler at some point...
I'm curious how well the EIC will work with Simpler (multi-samples); if it does, what's so great about Sampler, really? Sure, there's some nice sound design features, but $ 200 nice?

And yes, I'm getting the modular vs. traditional sampler concept, and love it.
But at the moment I don't see why Sampler is $ 200 when Operator's only $ 150 and Instrument Racks let you build crazy monster instruments anyway.

(Edit: Maybe the upcoming Sampler promo video will help.)

headquest

Post by headquest » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:16 am

hoffman2k wrote: You're missing the point. Sampler isn't unfinished.
Live is unfinished. And it will always be that way. As long as there are features, there will be feature requests.
I see your point... BUT as kineticUk indicated on the other thread, surely this is really about advertised features?

What I mean is, Live 4, Live 5, Live 6 are complete in terms of their advertised features working (...even though of course as you point out there will be future upgrades that include new features, which will THEN be advertised, too...)

In the case of Sampler, importing a wide range of sample formats is one of the top advertised features at its launch. It would seem from posts by various people that in fact Sampler does NOT import those formats fully.

So far as I can see that is the only really legitimate point of contention in terms of Sampler's features, because it is something they claim that is possibly not stricktly true...?

Listen on Soundcloud

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:42 am

would you be surprised ?
spreader of butter