Considering buying Logic Pro? - Read this!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
unklmic

Considering buying Logic Pro? - Read this!!

Post by unklmic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:34 am

I am so close to buying Logic Pro 7, but I have been worrying about Logic 8 coming out shortly after. I also don't want to wait for ages, as no-one seems to know when that may be.

I have been checking on the current pricing of Logic and noticed a very convenient solution (assuming their pricing structure stays he same).

The price of Logic Express 7, plus the price of an upgrade from Logic Express 6 to Logic PRO 7 is exactly the same as it costs to buy Logic PRO 7 outright.

So my plan is this - buy Logic Express now, then buy the upgrade from Logic Express 7 to Logic PRO 8 when it comes out. I shouldn't have to pay a penny more than if I waited (up to two years!?) to buy Logic 8.

This has many benefits:

You can start using Logic straight away.
You can spread the payments.
You may decide that Logic Express plus Live gives you everything you need and not even bother upgrading!

On a seperate note - I have been comparing Logic Express with Logic Pro. There is a huge difference in Price - Logic Express costs the same as some soft synths on their own, but it seems to have all you need.

No Convoluton Reverb (who cares), Scupture (a pity), and the ESX is a rompler - (not such an issue if you buy Sampler). Bargain. Are there any Logic Pro users who would be seriously lost without the Logic Pro exclusive features?

Scube

Re: Considering buying Logic Pro? - Read this!!

Post by Scube » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:39 am

unklmic wrote:IPER CUT
No, I will never buy Logic Pro. It's for Mac only AND I don't like it.

This is the Ableton NG, I think your post is a stupid post

Scube
Waiting for Qbits..

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:45 am

imagine this spoken in a stupid hick voice::: "yeahhhhhh and you ain't aloud to use anything but what weez use here cause this is the software of jesus, you believe in jesus don't ya boy??"

your post isn't stupid, lots of people here use ableton with any number of other programs at the sametime. plugins, other daws, wav editors, it's all of interest here.

I think scubes post is the stupid post here.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:51 am

Yeah, ease up Scube, lots of us are closet users of other apps.

I think it's a smart plan to start with Express. I don't own Logic yet but I've been keeping an eye on Express and DP.
Image Image

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:52 am

unklmic wrote:
On a seperate note - I have been comparing Logic Express with Logic Pro. There is a huge difference in Price - Logic Express costs the same as some soft synths on their own, but it seems to have all you need.
yes there is big difference, but considering the pricetag of express it's in my eyes the best money for value on the market. and it might indeed give you all you need. it is for 300 USD the bomb! of course if you can afford pro, get it! it does offer much more. but still, express 300dollar pro 1000dollar express has the better value for money ratio!!

scube wrote:
No, I will never buy Logic Pro. It's for Mac only AND I don't like it.

This is the Ableton NG, I think your post is a stupid post

Scube
and yes it is an ableton live forum and this thread is not stupid, we live in a democracy, so the abletons have to live with the fact, that they are not alone on the market and some people do recommend something additional... no one ever said to dumb live for logic, but it is and remains a superb addition, for the people who want or need more.
simply because it does deliver more. if you personally don't like nore need it, then simply don't buy it and stick with live only, nothing wrong with that.

cheers.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:57 am

on a completely different subject but on the same subject of using other software. GOD! i wish cool edit/adobe audition would be ported to osx.

it'll never happen though. but I would give a testicle for that one.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:14 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:on a completely different subject but on the same subject of using other software. GOD! i wish cool edit/adobe audition would be ported to osx.

it'll never happen though. but I would give a testicle for that one.
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0603ado ... tudio.html

Note the source and take it with a grain of salt..

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Not a stupid post indeed, thanks for your coments.

I use Logic Express 7.2.1 (the last number add latest Rewire version on Intel Mac)

And the difference is not just the plugins.
If you look at the official features comparison on Apple's web site, you'll see that Bus count is 8 for Express and 64 for Pro.
Other things like Inserts per track have higher count.
Then there's formats you can export in.

However, just basing myself on this comparison chart, I thought like you "Naah....sometimes I'll have to bounce, I can also use my own plugins and it's more than enough"
And that's a true statement

HOWEVER: After getting a book on Logic (Express/Pro) to get to know the ins and outs of the software, I realised a few things (they're clever, they pick the REAL HANDY ones) aren't present too
1) Hide track
2) Snap mode - only 1 in Express (compared to lots in Pro)
3) Menus are smaller - lots of removed features
4) Automation curve - you can draw by hand or use straight line. But only Pro gives you tools to make a smooth curve and adjust further etc
5) Marker Track - Pro only

These are off the top of my head. But there are more. The book I got has lots of "Pro Only" sections.

I've still got Express and am happy with it. But someone else might need those features desperado (some people have to have their automation curves smooth and following some sorta formula - not just drawn by hand)

Oh and surround sound support - not in Express.

At the end of the day, I promise you one thing: Apple people KNOW what we WANT and a lot of those nice-to-have features are not in Express but in Pro.
The joy of marketing

Kr.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:19 pm

but thats talking about production studio 2 I want audition (honostly.. cool edit...but that doesn't exist anymore) for osx. I don't think it's gonna happen.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:30 pm

I was interested in Logic a while ago, because I'd heard it had a great summing bus (if that is the correct English expression). My idea was to bounce every track in Live (which will be one click in Live 6) and mix the tracks in Logic.

I've never really headed this direction but in the meantime I've learned that GarageBand is developed by the same people as Logic (former Emagic) which could mean the audio engines of these applications may be quite similar.
Does anybody here know more about this?
Because, y'know, GarageBand comes free with every Mac...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:32 pm

yeah but I pray to god you don't use garageband to mix your tracks. it's horrible. I've tried.

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:38 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:yeah but I pray to god you don't use garageband to mix your tracks. it's horrible. I've tried.
Never tried... But thanks for sharing your experience... :wink:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:43 pm

seriously it's bad. you only get to use like 2 plugins on your tracks and the eq sucks and you get peaking noise the second you go over clipping (as apposed to ableton where it doesn't make a noise till you go way over) and the visual feedback sucks and you don't get any metering. blehhhh.....

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:55 pm

Are we comparing Garageband to Ableton now? :o

This forum is sooooooooo unfair sometimes

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:58 pm

krugger wrote:
you'll see that Bus count is 8 for Express and 64 for Pro
it's 12 buses since 7.2
Marker Track - Pro only
no, you can create markers in express, they just have a little less "functionality"

just to clarify, of course it has been said very often pro is better and has more to offer, still 300dollar for express, a steal for what it delivers.