PadKontrol: question regarding Pads with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:27 pm

Yeah, right after I saw the cascading light effects that it had, I realized how they could have gone a step further & let you sync the cascades to an ext MIDI source & have them send CCs, too. That's asking for a lot more than just a working toggle mode, though. Guess I need a monome.

Do you think the Trigger Finger pressure to gradual CC change feature could be added in a firmware update? Every pad controller released after the TF should have this, it's so fundamental.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:47 pm

John Sweet wrote:Yeah, right after I saw the cascading light effects that it had, I realized how they could have gone a step further & let you sync the cascades to an ext MIDI source & have them send CCs, too. That's asking for a lot more than just a working toggle mode, though. Guess I need a monome.
why do you think I'm asking for this kind of visual feedback? ;-) if the pads light up when receiving notes (they do that right now, mind you - I could do some pretty insane stuff already, if I wanted to) AND stay on until a note-off is received you can totally do the monome thing with it - I'd be building the max standalone app right now if that was the case. But at least the potential is there - in Native Mode you can control the pad lights, the Scene, message, Fixed Vel, program change buttons, the 7-segment LCD and have access to the encoder wheel.... If they don't update the firmware I'm so going for a Native Mode application instead.

This controller is so much more fun than the Monome could ever be though: it has velocity sensitivity. Now the monome 100h is another thing...
John Sweet wrote: Do you think the Trigger Finger pressure to gradual CC change feature could be added in a firmware update? Every pad controller released after the TF should have this, it's so fundamental.
Not possible: Different technology. The FSRs used in the TriggerFinger is probably what gives it the relatively crappy trigger action as well.. I also found the CC change from the pads limited in use, since they would (naturally) always go back to zero when they were released.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

DJLethalRush

Post by DJLethalRush » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Do you think the padKontrol's lights staying on (toggle mode) could be a firmware update? I bought this thing, it's fun, but provides no visual information feedback (as mentioned in this thread)

shurik

Post by shurik » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:31 am

yes, that can be done, because the pads are allready able to stay on when you put them in CC mode. sooo close. this product is stupid, because its the only padcontroller with backlights and it doesnt really make use of it!

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:42 am

We're talking about the difference between a toy and a tool.

Be sure & hit the Korg forum & ask for the firmware update. If every pK owner from here posts about it, maybe something will happen faster.