Tips and Tricks: Making Dub with Live

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:23 pm

bump

nimbledoe

Post by nimbledoe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:04 am

i've had some great success getting bass sounds with using MS20 and or MS20 Samples.

I've had a little trouble live with sounds being too big so this week i tried to reign it in a bit...

The dub .als i did in the last few days has been good as a learning experience and it's been the first time i've felt i successfully got the ambience i wanted over the whole piece. Maybe this is a bit off topic but i'm happy to share some of my production method for what it's worth.

Written entirely with Ableton components + 2 VST Synths and a VST Delay.

I wrote the chord stabs on Automat , did the drums using the Kit-Deeper drum rack kit (some of the sound grabbed me 'cos they sounded like Linn Drum !!) , did a decaying/descending modulated pulse thing lead thing on Tal Bassline.
Wrote some lighter Bass stuff with Boombastic Bass Instrument rack synth.

With the drums and chord skanks I have used Tal Dub for Send A and The True Stereo Reverb.adg posted recently on this forum for Send B.

I spend quite a bit of time panning every part of the Drum Rack and the channels in general.

This really helped to get the space happening around the bass and the whole piece became bigger.

I'm hoping to record it soon and will try to post it somewhere.

Does anyone have an idea for where i can get it hosted ?

I always seem to loose all the bass if i just chuck things on myspace...

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:10 am

nimbledoe - post it on www.reggaedubwise.com
all free, upload whatever quality you want & you can get reviews from other artists

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks for this interesting thread!
I think a Roland Space Echo RE-301 will go a long way towards making great Dub tunes. However, did the original artists (Hudson; Tubby, etc) use that as well?

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 am

FORMAT wrote:Thanks for this interesting thread!
I think a Roland Space Echo RE-301 will go a long way towards making great Dub tunes. However, did the original artists (Hudson; Tubby, etc) use that as well?
i don't think the Space Echo will be drastically different than any other delay unit with the same capabilities, although it has a bit of a sound of it's own.

Tubby probably had something like an Echoplex or whatever was around in the late 60's/early 70's - dont think the space echo came until the mid 70's. reverb was a Fisher Space Expander spring reverb..... nothing special.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:31 am

blakbeltjonez wrote:
FORMAT wrote:Thanks for this interesting thread!
i don't think the Space Echo will be drastically different than any other delay unit with the same capabilities, although it has a bit of a sound of it's own.

Tubby probably had something like an Echoplex or whatever was around in the late 60's/early 70's - dont think the space echo came until the mid 70's. reverb was a Fisher Space Expander spring reverb..... nothing special.
Good point... If only the Roland Space Echoe weren't so damn expensive!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:36 am

subbasshead wrote:i just found this site, which has a collection of classic reggae riddims in MIDI form

http://baroquedub.co.uk/audio_riddims.php
that's definetly a good site for starting some dub. I had much fun with it in the past already. :P

selthym

Post by selthym » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:40 am

pepezabala wrote:
subbasshead wrote:i just found this site, which has a collection of classic reggae riddims in MIDI form

http://baroquedub.co.uk/audio_riddims.php
that's definetly a good site for starting some dub. I had much fun with it in the past already. :P
Has anyone downloaded the above, care to share just the midi files in 1 zipped file.

These are also good, although the site requests that you don't use these for 'remixing' http://midi.dubroom.org/zip/dubroom..._midi_files.zip

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm

delays are more about how you use them than whether they sound like a Roland or not

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:delays are more about how you use them than whether they sound like a Roland or not
I've found that the imperfections on a Roland machine can make for a lot of uniqueness not found in any plug-in.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:25 pm

FORMAT wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:delays are more about how you use them than whether they sound like a Roland or not
I've found that the imperfections on a Roland machine can make for a lot of uniqueness not found in any plug-in.
yeah that's very true but you need to know how to dub with a delay & if you do then you can rock nearly any unit

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 am

Meef Chaloin wrote:
FORMAT wrote:
yeah that's very true but you need to know how to dub with a delay & if you do then you can rock nearly any unit

what he said. many pieces of gear have a "uniqueness" to them, I like the Space Echo a lot but it wouldn't be the end of the world without it by any stretch.

give me a simple delay, an aux send and an extra input strip w/EQ for an echo return with the same aux send on it and i am good to go. beer would be good, too.

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Just been trying out the new TAL-Dub-2.

Is free, nice quick-fix presets too....

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-DUB-II
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:05 pm

Low Frequency Obstinator wrote:Just been trying out the new TAL-Dub-2.

Is free, nice quick-fix presets too....

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-DUB-II
True, it's really nice.
I had the pleasure of working with an RE-201/RE-301, though.... no comparison.

Post by 337 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Gyro wrote: The only recommendation I could give myself is for O.T.T.
Yeah Ott just has those fat basses, floaty pads and overall dubby feeling down to a science.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLqdlVRU ... re=related

not a great video but you can get the jist of it.
Dr Dub wrote: It's number two on my Gear-List, just after a bcr2000, wich I really want to have
Next up on my list as well. You can never have too many rotary knobs. And coincidentally, its what Ott uses also. haha