Live 6 controller Question > Recording CC in Session?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:08 pm

I agree this is a big frustration to me as well.

Seems like stand alone VSTi's can do it, reason can do it, and the one program you'd think would be just made for it cant.

glu

Post by glu » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:07 am

I have been excited over the weekend about the L6 news, surely I thought CC automation recording in session was going to be included in 6. When I bought Live, I was under the impression this was a feature... it just seemed so basic and most workstation keyboards had this function (I had moved sequencing from my Triton to Live) so in my mind I mistakenly expected to have this feature.

Well, to find it not included in the L6 briefing was a big let down. Inspiration partially comes from the physical relationship a musician has with their instrument. Using Live and a midi controller as an instrument/production station is a little crippled without the physical expressions of twiddling a knob or moving a fader...and it being captured in a session clip... i mean... WTF?

I have held back from griping about any features left out, most of them that I want can be done with other software anyhow.. L6 looks and sounds great, very proud of the Abe team. However, I seriously hope the abes work on this one. It really needs to be addressed. There isn't enough uproaring about it. Why? Is the workaround really good enough for you peops?

With the utmost respect, I sincerly request this to be reconsidered. I am not asking for a $100 version of sampler, or a autoslicing feature, or to even see the session and arranger view at the same time... I just want to twiddle a knob, and the CC values be recorded into a session clip so I can sell my damned triton and upgrade to 6+ sampler + operator and get some new hardware. PLEASE!

Thanks,

Gordon :D
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:37 am

Maybe in 6.1 at least?
Like when they gave us back the "one" in 5.2. Just to hear it's in the works before 7 would be a cool gesture.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:42 am

this is kinda shitty, yes, but here's what i do:

record the stuff into arrange view.

then, if i really need to use it as a clip in session, i copy and paste the envelope in to the clip envelope.

this is stupid and time consuming though. really should be able to do it in session view. Someday. someday.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:48 am

I'm glad to see there are other people as baffled as me.

The obvious response from ableton seems to be "we can't include everyones requested features" - but that doesn't stand up in this case. To me this isn't so much a 'feature' as a core ability.
I can see a clear distinction between adding feature such as "valve emulator" and the ability to record the turn of a dial.

For a sequencer Recording the Performance is one of the most basic features it can have! It comes a long way before bigger meters, video, new samplers and new effects in the requirements of any sequencer.

Recording a performance is currently not possible in Live 5 or 6 without using 3rd part workarounds. They should be ashamed of that fact, they went for shiny toys over fixing this.

They can't even pretend that Session is in some way the 'Second Screen' as it is the primary recording interface for most users.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:59 pm

I think the basic idea - and the way I personally use it - is to set up your 'orchestra' in session view, and then record performances to arrange for editing.

Not that I don't agree with you that recording controllers in session should be possible, but I still think there is some logic behind the 'relative session vs absolute arrangement' that we have now.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:02 pm

For a sequencer Recording the Performance is one of the most basic features it can have! It comes a long way before bigger meters, video, new samplers and new effects in the requirements of any sequencer.
definitley!

audio overdub and cc recording in session are essential!!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:10 pm

noisetonepause wrote:I think the basic idea - and the way I personally use it - is to set up your 'orchestra' in session view, and then record performances to arrange for editing.

Not that I don't agree with you that recording controllers in session should be possible, but I still think there is some logic behind the 'relative session vs absolute arrangement' that we have now.

I'm not sure about the "orchestra" -
I tend to want to create played sections of a song, those played sections incorporate foot pedal articulation or sending to echo. I consider those analogous to damping the bridge of my guitar as part of my audio performance. I think in this day and age that's the same as turning down the filter as part of my performance.
In fact most sequencers since about 1992 have thought the same way!

yes, I agree that relative/absolute is a good idea, but isn't it odd that VSTi can get around this and Devices can't?

matthewvenn

Post by matthewvenn » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:21 pm

BUMP! PLEASE add this to v6!

rachmanoff

Post by rachmanoff » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:35 pm

+1

ellak

Post by ellak » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:42 pm

I agree with Angstrom. This must be included.

evoid

Post by evoid » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:07 pm

yes please! it seems so simple to implement.. maybe a option in misc tab to choose between relative and absolute values?
http://www.ruigato.info
Live Suite 8b16
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz / 4 Gig RAM / 7200 rpm - Quad Q6600 / 8 Gig RAM - OsX 10.5.6
RME Fireface 400 - Jazzmutant Lemur - Nord Modular - Mercurial STC 1000
Reaktor 4 - Reason - Max/MSP 5.0.6

tripboxer

Post by tripboxer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:27 pm

yes, we´re asking for some kind of bug fix here, not a new feature...

unbelievable, version 6 and this still doesn´t work...

it´s like the thing with multiple clip colouring/naming... it took 5 years!!! and it was celebrated as a new feature then...

such a great software, but they keep forgetting the little things...

:x
Last edited by tripboxer on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deva

Post by deva » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:28 pm

Angstrom wrote:
noisetonepause wrote:I think the basic idea - and the way I personally use it - is to set up your 'orchestra' in session view, and then record performances to arrange for editing.

I'm not sure about the "orchestra" -
I tend to want to create played sections of a song, those played sections incorporate foot pedal articulation or sending to echo. I consider those analogous to damping the bridge of my guitar as part of my audio performance. I think in this day and age that's the same as turning down the filter as part of my performance.
In fact most sequencers since about 1992 have thought the same way!

yes, I agree that relative/absolute is a good idea, but isn't it odd that VSTi can get around this and Devices can't?

I had not realized that this was a limitation until last week because I use synths that have their own midi learn and that is how I have worked.

I don't understand the thinking behind this. When I play, I use the modwheel, or footpedal, and often the X/Y pad on my controller. Using Operator I am simply not able to record much of my live playing in Session except as audio.

So basically, session is not really designed for recording of live midi playing as much as playback of prerecorded clips? What would be the workflow for someone who only had Ableton instruments and who wanted to mix live synth playing, with some pre-recorded loops and live recording/looping of vocal snippets?

Anyway, I am fairly new to Live and have been using it with my vst instruments, blissfully unaware that it was lucky to have midi learn in my synths! Live rocks regardless. It is really fun to use.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:37 pm

tripboxer wrote:yes, we´re asking for some kind of bug fix here, not a new feature...

unbelievable, version 6 and this still doesn´t work...
[...]
:x
that's kind of unfair though, isn't it? Live midi automation looping isn't something you can do out of the box in DAWs in general.

If / when it makes it into Live it will be the best unique selling point I've ever seen, and it will really win a lot of people over to live looping - which in turn would be one of the biggest things to happen to electronic music performance... imnsho. Calling that a bug fix is slightly out of line, really.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.