Sync between Live and Vinyl/CD ect. (tricky but WORKING!)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Wed May 09, 2007 12:25 am

just had a poke around the djdecks site, and apparently it does still do realtime beat detection and midiclock output...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

neve

Post by neve » Wed May 09, 2007 5:21 pm

Clearscreen, this seems interesting... Could you tell a little bit more about your trick ?

Does Dj Decks allows audio in ?
Is there a free version of Dj Decks working for this purpose only ?
How did you send the DJ Decks midi tempo out to Live ? Using Rewire ? Using a Virtual midi cable ?

What is VVVV ?
Can it work as a daw, which can be linked with Live using REwire or a Virtual midi cable ?
Thanks

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 pm

vvvv is not a DAW.

"vvvv is a toolkit for real time video synthesis. It is designed to facilitate the handling of large media environments with physical interfaces, real-time motion graphics, audio and video that can interact with many users simultaneously.

vvvv uses a visual programming interface. Therefore it provides a graphical programming language for easy prototyping and development.

vvvv is real time. where many other languages have distinct modes for building and running programs, vvvv only has one mode - runtime."

with the provided beatsync patch from the vvvv wiki, one could possible output midi tempo if you poke around a bit, seeing that the vvvv guys developed an osc plugin for use with software (ableton live, to be exact :D)
for that purpose.

if anyone wanna have a go at this, feel free to post any results, as im interested in this aswell, but yeah, still got some hardware to crack open and "improve" ^^.

check it out:

http://vvvv.org/tiki-index.php

neve

Post by neve » Wed May 09, 2007 8:11 pm

i found this (on DjDecks forum) :

http://forum.djdecks.be/viewtopic.php?p=11796#11796
http://forum.djdecks.be/viewtopic.php?p=23865#23865

I think it is demo only right now, but rather interesting... Let's have a look.

tadx

Post by tadx » Fri May 18, 2007 2:21 pm

can someone help me to sync ext. audio with live in OS X ?
:roll:
midiyoke and midiclock ar windows only appz.
what can I replace it with?
thanks

Psybergenic

Post by Psybergenic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:37 am

Hi there.
Thanks for the great advice..
However I have done everything as explained, and I get the midi input,
and when I look at the peaks that gets displayed in KT they all sink to the beat.
I also tried the tobybear plugin but result the same..
No constant tempo in LIVE, it just keep on jumping from say 143 - 168, sometimes to 200, and when the beat drops away to 70, or god forbid it was
just 200 and when the break hits it stays there..then..
The song in Live I try to mix into my vynal inpu t from my 1210 then just go mad, like arecord being winded up or stopped..
Is there anyone who get a result thats constant please help!
I also try switching on and off the plugins to just leave it on for a short while to detect the tempo and the try and push play on my live track, but it never sinks to the first down beat of my vyanl when my quantization menus is set to one bar...

I am using and emu 1616m sound card with latency setting at 20ms.

I have spend a couple of hours on this now and going mad..
Would just really like to know if this solution realyy works, or if I'm wasting my time..

Cheers

liamhardman

sync without MIDI Yoke

Post by liamhardman » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:18 pm

is there anyway for me to do all this on a mac, as in without the use of MIDI yoke. I have Plogue Bidule?????????

Please help.

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:58 pm

khehe I got a funny solution, all three of my main devices have this. (Korg KP2, Korg ELectribe EMX, and Korg Electribe ESX)

they all have audio inputs and all have auto beat scan which allows the devices to sync up to the audio stream(some better then others) and generate a time clock signal which follows the input audio :-P