Sync between Live and Vinyl/CD ect. (tricky but WORKING!)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
bbb

Sync between Live and Vinyl/CD ect. (tricky but WORKING!)

Post by bbb » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:55 pm

LOOK AT THIS LITTLE HOWTO I MADE:

Sync Live and External Audio

It is the result of the following discussion here....

Hello.

At first let me say, i've read all the other Sync-threads. :)
And then let me say, i've the solution.

Maybe.

There are some problems, which have to solve.

The Setup:
Live 4/5
KTDrumTrigger ( :arrow: find it here)
Midiyoke ( :arrow: find it here)
MidiClock ( :arrow: find it here)

Install/extract these things.

Open Live, go to option/Midi/Sync and enable one midiyoke-input with sync and another midiyoke-output without sync. Then create one empty audio and one empty mditrack. Enable the audiotrack to recive the external audio and add the KTDrumTrigger-plugin. Configure the plug that one filter creates midi notes. I use a lowpass so that the plug only detects the bassdrum which told the plug to send midinote 1 on midichannel 1. Then go to the miditrack and select audio 1 as midi-input. Now you should see a peak on the midi track on every bassdrumshot. In the miditrack select the midiyoke output. Then open MidiClock. Select the midi out port which is your synced midiyoke-midi input in live and the midi in port which is your midiyoke output of the miditrack. Enable the HexSpy. Go back to Live and hit the EXT button in the upper left. If you now hit the Start button on MidiClock; Live should start and play with the tempo which is showing in MidiClock. Ok, if that works, you are only some footsteps away from syncing to external audio. Take a closer look to MidiClock. You should see there a hexadecimal number, which changes on every bassdrumshot/midinote. Write down the number which is only short visible. Stop MidiClock and press Crtl+Alt+S. An clockpresets.ini is generated in the folder where MidiClock is. Open the ini-file. Under BPM-Presets delete the first BPM-number behind PROGRAM1 and add 10000 there as mentioned here: http://serge.ucapps.de . Should look like: PROGRAM1=10000.

This is all right done i think. We have now only to make the right configuration in the [SPECIAL_COMMANDS]. At INPUT0 there must be the hexadecimal number, because this is the event where an action have to follow. Or not? When i add a 10000 to ACTION0 i get 158BPM.

Maybe you have an idea.

Greetz
bbb

PS:I will do some tests to this one in the evening. If i got it you will hear me... :D
Last edited by bbb on Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Superman

Post by Superman » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:19 pm

this is quite interesting... i think i may investigate :) i would have thought someone would have come up with a simple software solution to listen to an audio input and produce a midi signal for live (or anything else) to listen to. i read on here about a small hardware solution that has a midi output (and a sampler) for bout £150 (can some1 remind me what it was) however surely this can be done with a simple software program... or even implemented into live??

bbb

Post by bbb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:44 pm

@ superman: u mean the redsound, right?

I tested some things yesterday, but i have to realize that MidiClock dont work the way which i think. But it shows, that you can get all needed information from Live and to Live.
We just need a program that counts the samples between every outgoing midimessage/beat and then do some maths to transform that into tempo/midiclock which will be usable.

Maybe Plogue Bidule ( :arrow: http://www.plogue.com ) do that. (I posted a topic in their forum where i get the answer of counting the samples...)

Are some programers here? :wink:

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:48 pm

counts the samples between every outgoing midimessage
can't the "tap" function in live do this?

And can't Live pickup on the clock send out by the redsound device? (want to know because I might buy one)

bbb

Post by bbb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:57 pm

The tap button? 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

I will do some research ....

bbb

Post by bbb » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:08 pm

The tapbutton does'nt work and i think the reason is, that the miditrack sends note on and not midicontrol messages...

But it is a possibility. Just need a program that converts the note on in a midicontrolmessage.

How the redsound device works i dont know, but i think it should work, because on www.redsound.com it is described as a possible tool for Live.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:12 pm

It would be SO easy for the Abes to allow Live to generate its master tempo based on an external audio input (record/CD/whatever), or from the playing of an unwarped clip.

I'd really like the latter. I could DJ unwarped clips, and the lighting and video would stay synched. I don't think the timing would be tight enough to synch audio, unless it's constant-tempo, "mmmphhh... mmmphhh... mmmphhh... mmmphhh..." (in which case you might as well warp it.)

bbb

Post by bbb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:17 am

HEUREKA!

The tap button works!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

For example, if your miditrack sends the midinote messages to midiyoke port 2, go to preferences / Midi/Sync and activate the Remotebutton on INPUT for midiyoke port 2. Then start your external audio, control if there is midiactivity on the miditrack and hit the Midi button in the upper right. Click on the tap button and now you should see a value there. Hit the Midi button again so everything looks normal.
And now, your Live should sync to your external audio.

Here, it works!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Not perfect, but if the triggerplugin config is right (maybe another plugin works better), then there's no need to buy extra-hardware!

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:37 pm

Holy Shit! This looks like it's gonna work! Very well done, that man - very well done! Does it mean that when you are ready to mix out of TT's and bach into Live you just have to Arm Record the Audio track? Then switch it off when Live is going...

:!:

Good Times!!!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:31 pm

i would think that if you're midi mapping the tap button, then you absolutely NEED 1/4 note ONLY messages coming out of your midi plugin

right?

so a song which couldn't produce those types of pulses couldn't be synced to? or am i missing something?

bbb

Post by bbb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:33 pm

[quote="Patch"] Does it mean that when you are ready to mix out of TT's and bach into Live you just have to Arm Record the Audio track? [quote]

Yes... or u let the on/off switch of the miditrack do the work.... Result should be the same .... :D

bbb

Post by bbb » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:35 pm

[quote="longjohns"]i would think that if you're midi mapping the tap button, then you absolutely NEED 1/4 note ONLY messages coming out of your midi plugin

right?

[quote]

yes.

bbb

Post by bbb » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:22 am

2 tips:

1. Peak Freak from tobybear will do the same job like KTDrumTrigger
2. dfx monomaker before the trigger is a good idea

8)

Nixon

Post by Nixon » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:04 am

nice!!! are these plugin's ub? (for intelmac's)

then I won't have to buy a redsound unit!

good thinking mate! :D

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:59 pm

yea, i am very VERY interested in a macbook solution to this one too.

is there any way to do it internally from ms. pinky?
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com