printing pdf manual

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
nickw

printing pdf manual

Post by nickw » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:08 pm

I'm not able to print the pdf of the manual - in preview in mac osx it asks for a password - is there a password thats related to my serial number that will allow me to or is this a feature rather than a bug ?

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:37 am

Yeah, it's weird this. I tried double clicking on the manual and it opened Acrobat Reader and the Print item in the File menu was greyed out. Then I tried opening it in Preview and it asked for a password.

What's going on here with this Mac OSX printing?

Tim

nickw

Post by nickw » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:49 am

I've tried it in acrobat since, and get the same. It seems its a protected pdf which means you can't copy or alter it which seems reasonable, but not being able to print it seems a bit over the top.

s.balm

Post by s.balm » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:15 am

The Live PDF Manual is not optimized for printing.
It has been optimized for the computer screen.
If you were able to print the PDF it would look quite bad.
We did not want people to print the PDF and get angry
because it is unreadable, and caused them to waste
many natural (paper) and unnatural (ink cartridges) resources .
If you have bought Live 2 and have the manual, it is almost
the same as the 2.1 manual. The only real differences are in
the Unlock section.

s.
s.balm
ableton

Tim York

Post by Tim York » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:00 pm

I appreciate the explanation. Thank you. But that is the first time I've come across that scenario, so maybe a little read me with the pdf explaining that it can't be printed would have been good. Just so we didn't go round in circles trying to find some setting that needed to be altered.

Anyway, I've got a nice green paper manual (having bought the program!), so I'll stick with that until I become permanantly adhered to my studio chair.

Tim

nickw

Post by nickw » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:42 pm

It would be good to mention that more explicitly on the website, I upgraded so only have the manual for 1.5 and presumed the pdf would mean I could print out the new manual. I find it hard work reading manuals on screen, and read things like that on the bus and train. Guess I will have to buy one from ableton or get the book thats coming out.

HajoCorsten

printing pdf manual

Post by HajoCorsten » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:25 pm

Indeed I wonder about Ableton's motives to print-block - who would NOT want to print the shortkey-tables ?! - and comment-block a pdf-manual that seemingly is available to anyone via the demo-version.

Of course screenshot-grabbers offer a workaround, but it's absolutely unnecessary and cumbersome.

I own both printed versions, 1.x and 2.0, because they altered their explanatory approach from one edition to the other (both are far from perfect), and I'm still not completely in the know.

The major advantage of the pdf-version is the search-function.

mile

Post by mile » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:49 am

Come on. It does not make any sense to claim that the manual would look bad printed. Just take a look at the manual Reason has. It is roughly in the same size as Live's manual and can be printed very nicely. Cubase SX has a fine A4 sized manual which also can be printed very well.

If you want to take a look at the manual on the screen you use the online help.

I bought the version 1 and have the old green manual. Why not offer a printable version for the legitimate users only?

-Mile

noisemaker

I agree

Post by noisemaker » Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:37 pm

The manual should be printable. The best thing for me in the 2.1 update was the PDF manual, but if it's not printable, I have no use for it. I can't read that much crap off the screen. Ableton, please give us a version that we can print.

drazen

manual pdf print

Post by drazen » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:02 pm

...with adobe acrobat 5.05 (Professional Version) you can unlock the
the print option. (open the file, unlock and save again). :D

HajoCorsten

Re: manual pdf print

Post by HajoCorsten » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:45 pm

drazen wrote:...with adobe acrobat 5.05 (Professional Version) you can unlock the
the print option. (open the file, unlock and save again). :D
you must be joking, that's the expensive pdf.files creating program, not the free Adobe Reader.