Final request on Dummy Clips & Envelope Generator

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
njh

Post by njh » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:07 am

so you can basically make anything you want in reaktor?
is it possible to add 5.1 surround to live with reaktor?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:29 am

njh wrote:so you can basically make anything you want in reaktor?
is it possible to add 5.1 surround to live with reaktor?
Well... You could easily use 5+1 outputs in Live itself. As long as your soundcard has enough outputs. So could you do a surround panner in Reaktor? Probably. Could you route the audio back into Live? I think so.

Regards,
Mikael

xuoham

Post by xuoham » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:53 am

But again:

mmmmmmm....

ENV/RANDOM GENERATORS ASSIGNABLE TO ANY TRACK AND PARAMETER PLEEEEASE!!!!!!!! pleeez, sir

:P :P :P

:roll:

queglay

Post by queglay » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:56 pm

I was trying to make the same thing, and i got really close to getting it working. actually i could send the lfo, but only when i opened up my ensemble in reaktor (as a standalone), not when it was running through ableton. i also needed to use midiyoke.

it was in this thread-

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... or+queglay

did you happen to get this setup fully working and synchronised?

if your sharing this thing it would be awesome but if not i understand.

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:18 pm

you can sync Reaktor very easally to Live..
just set one of both to send/receive sync signal and you're done..
I found that the most easy way to do this is with hardware midi interfaces..
I never got those midi utils as midijoke etc. working..
too much hassle if you ask me..
I'am more of a hardware plugger..

I still hope that one day Live would be able to receive internal CC# from third party plugs..

Soma

Post by Soma » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Poster wrote: I still hope that one day Live would be able to receive internal CC# from third party plugs..
you and me both!
I made a bunch of great plugins that send CC info for controling vsts in eXT but the are usless in Live (w/o XT).

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:10 pm

Soma wrote:
Poster wrote: I still hope that one day Live would be able to receive internal CC# from third party plugs..
you and me both!
I made a bunch of great plugins that send CC info for controling vsts in eXT but the are usless in Live (w/o XT).
yeah.. I noticed you have some really nice plugs..
If you can port them to mac, when Live is ready to CC receive ofcourse.. :wink:

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:06 am

sorry Iwhipped them up in SE :(
I could port them to reaktor...

queglay

Post by queglay » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:09 am

so poster, if live can't recieve internal midi signals then how did you get your lfo generator to work in live?

I managed to get a sync working but i dont think it works unless the reaktor is run in live, which i cant do because then the midi signal wont be recieved.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:28 am

Soma wrote:sorry Iwhipped them up in SE :(
you mean rebuild them in reaktor I guess?

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:32 am

queglay wrote:so poster, if live can't recieve internal midi signals then how did you get your lfo generator to work in live?
Reaktor is running as standalone,
hardwired with a midi interface..
Or you can use one of those midi utilities to send/receive midi,
virtually routed inside your computer.. but I don't like those..
queglay wrote:I managed to get a sync working but i dont think it works unless the reaktor is run in live, which i cant do because then the midi signal wont be recieved.
If you run Reaktor as standalone you can sync it to Live..

If you have problems syncing, let me know,
I'll guide you through it..

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:20 pm

Poster wrote:
Soma wrote:sorry Iwhipped them up in SE :(
you mean rebuild them in reaktor I guess?
yep.

ztutz

envelope reuse and routing in future versions of Live

Post by ztutz » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:36 pm

A suggestion for Ableton future versions - if we were able to place envelope clips into the new MIDI mappings window as an alternate source of CC messages, we could use those evelopes as generic mod sources. This would get us past various dummy clip hacks and/or using external programs to drive our MIDI control parameters, such as in this thread. Using this kind of UI, you would be able to map a single clip onto many mods, rather than having to do massive copy/paste jobs. You also wouldn't have to burn session real estate.

In the meantime, Reaktor is an OK workaround for sourcing MIDI control signals for those of us who ARE of the "control signal == any other signal" religion. (Apparently Ableton isn't.) I was about to try to build a similar hack in PD, but Reaktor ensembles are probably a better idea.

[By the way, it would be great if the creator of these Reaktor ensembles could post them, even if they aren't perfect. This would spare the rest of us much tedious mousing about while we duplicate the effort...]

What you wind up with is sort of a Buchla architecture - control and audio are two completely different paths. With the new routing options in Live 6, I can package all sorts of interesting patches - racks enable encapsulated splitters/mergers, and the extra patch points in the signal routing drop downs that result from racks make for great flexibility. But in the face of such great patching options, having to resort to dummy clips or MIDI-bots for control seems pretty lame. (Not that I don't LOVE Live, I just hope that the push towards being a DAW doesn't crowd out the live performance side of the program.)
Poster wrote:
xuoham wrote:Poster, i really agree with your feature request, i also want it very much and i love the way you presented it. This "generator" makes me drool, so much that i was really convinced that something like this would come out of Live6. It looks like a great update but i'm disappointed that this is missing. One of Live's orientations i love most is the controlled randomness and modulation. I thought the new brew would go also deeper in this direction. The unlinked envelopes concept is definitely great, but it would be so much better either with "dummy clips", as you say.or with "remote" tracks. Too bad... next update?
Nice one...
edit: forgot also to mention about random modulation of any parameter, as you suggest. Mmmmmm if only any parameter would be rendomly modulable, like the filter or pan, etc... in impulse! <sigh>
the workarround for me is Reaktor

I use this one for general use..
15 CC# outs that can be fed by 6 lfo's..
2 lfo's sources can be mixed per CC# out..
the name of the destination can be typed into the grey bar :)
<snip>

romflom

Post by romflom » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:34 pm

[quote="Poster"]

about my request;
it started with a prior request I did;

quote]

Would this help you maybe?
http://asseca-pt.net/nicfit/cc_mod.html

Poster

Post by Poster » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 pm

no..