my new midi controller, mostly clothed!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D K

Post by D K » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:56 pm

hey mike, ever thought about using something like gorilla hair?
(fiberglass used for fabrication on cars, boats, etc.)
you can mold it to your desired shape, sand it and coat it...
could be a nice option weight-wise....

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanks, I will look into that.. aren't gorillas endangered ;) I know the stuff you mean, I think...

here's what I've planned for the necks at this point, not quite to scale, the buttons will sit up above the edges of the neck. The necks will be multi piece, using angled wood, where the circuit board sits on some softer wood supports (the necks need to be hollow in order to allow the ribbon cables through).

The corners on the bottom would be sanded, sealed:

UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi mike,
Amazing idea, well done! Just looking at your section diagram of the neck - that's a good design to make it easy to assemble and maintain. Just wondering if the "squared" shape of the neck in section will make it a bit uncomfortable to play? Like most guitar necks are a shallow curve on the back. Although maybe if it is not very deep it won't make much difference.

Looking forward to seeing the finished item...

:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:22 pm

telekom wrote:Hi mike,
Amazing idea, well done! Just looking at your section diagram of the neck - that's a good design to make it easy to assemble and maintain. Just wondering if the "squared" shape of the neck in section will make it a bit uncomfortable to play? Like most guitar necks are a shallow curve on the back. Although maybe if it is not very deep it won't make much difference.

Looking forward to seeing the finished item...

:)
me too :)

About the neck, I've had these same thoughts. When I've picked up the circuit board, using a cardboard template backing, the way the buttons are played, there is something 'psycho-ergologic' that makes you want to put your thumb behind the buttons you're playing, so I think the flatter back will work. I won't know for sure until I really start exercising it.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Ok, so it's not coming out to look exactly like the plan ... :) ... screws tiny enough are not available. But it does fit exactly into the neck as shown. I pondered long and hard to come up with some other way to fasten the circuit boards into the neck. Gluing them in would be 'functional', but a nightmare if something needed to be replaced. I also needed something to cushion the undersides of the boards...

it became clear when I awoke this morning... Velcro. I will velcro the boards into place, this will provide padding as well as fastening.

I'm finishing the various wood components, not a lot more to show other than some pieces of wood drying, but will have photos of the finished necks soon. The 'body' will be the easier part.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:26 pm

Sweet. This project ind of reminds me of the Zendrum http://www.zendrum.com/catalog.html

Are the buttons going to be velocity sensitive?
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:27 pm

perhaps i'm being dense, but how do you play this? put another way, are there strings? and if so, what do you do with them?

(where in MD? i'm from bethesda originally (ever go to atomic music? my buddy's store).)

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:46 am

Very nice!

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:00 am

dj superflat wrote:perhaps i'm being dense, but how do you play this? put another way, are there strings? and if so, what do you do with them?

(where in MD? i'm from bethesda originally (ever go to atomic music? my buddy's store).)
heya... I have been into atomic music. I'm about 45 mins west of bethesda/dc in upper mont co.

Fair question, I referred to 'strings', but no strings: four columns of buttons (momentary switches) that you can press, each button wired to MIDI chipset such that it sends a midi note. The columns are 'tuned' the same as the four lowest strings on a guitar, and the note values for the button positions correspond to fret positions in their respective 'string column' (each button in a column one semitone higher than the one before).

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:05 am

kennerb wrote:Sweet. This project ind of reminds me of the Zendrum http://www.zendrum.com/catalog.html

Are the buttons going to be velocity sensitive?
That's a good question. No, they aren't programmed for that (off 0 on 64), but I think it depends on the softsynth being controlled and know that the ability to vary velocity definitely depends on midi effects in the chain.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:49 pm

I actually did see this, looked around for one-- they are kinda cool, but have only seen them priced too high.

Plucking with the right hand is what I'm trying to avoid, plus to have a keyboard-style range. :) I've just about got the necks finished, it will be a silly monstrous thing, but fun.

This is a single neck, with the buttons/circuit boards placed in, lightly, on velcro (not exactly, ultimately, straightened in place).

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:29 pm

...with both necks assembled, with controller boards as they will be placed (but not yet mounted/covered):

D K

Post by D K » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:06 pm

:D 8)

debu

Post by debu » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 pm

dope, keep posting I'd like to see the progress