Recordings have a small delay

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hade

Recordings have a small delay

Post by hade » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:51 pm

Switched over to an Alesis IO2 from MAudio USB Quattro, Now the stuff I record isn't in syc, there's a small delay. Which isn't good as I need to compensate by hand on every recording, and was just getting into looping live.
In preferences my buffers are as low as they'll go without the audio breaking up, about 10ms.
Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing some big point?

Mac Mini, 1.4GHz, 1Gb Ram,80Gb Hdd, Lacie d1 250Gb FW/USB
and this you gotta hear: a man wished his neighbour dead the neighbour went fool crazy and come after the wisher with a chainsaw. cut him min two sections like the lady sawed in half act.

Polyphonic

Post by Polyphonic » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:24 pm

I suffer from the same problem and the way I fix it is as follows.

In Live's preferences I've added "9.00ms" to the overal latency field. After various tests (including running the overall latency tutorial that comes with Live), I realised that was a close enough figure for my latency.

Now, when I record I set the monitoring to "Off". After recording, Live shifts the audio 9ms to counteract the latency and then it's all in sync.

Downside is that you can't monitor whilst recording but that's okay for me as I use a mixer anyway.

hade

Post by hade » Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks
I will try that..
I never have monitor on either as I always get that slapback. The soundcard, even tho it's cheap, has input monitoring anyway.

HADE
and this you gotta hear: a man wished his neighbour dead the neighbour went fool crazy and come after the wisher with a chainsaw. cut him min two sections like the lady sawed in half act.

chrislake

recording delay

Post by chrislake » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:32 pm

I am having a very similar problem. I run a PC and live 5.1.2 with a Delta 44 soundcard

I am really confused as to why Live seems to create this delay in recording. Even with monitoring it is delayed, and when working with singers, this is very offputting and can ruin the singers timing because they are listening to their voice delayed

Any tips on resolving this problem please?

stallos

Post by stallos » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:58 pm

latency really sucks!

Do you find other applications better than live using the same hardware?

Chris, are you THE Chris Lake - the man with the golden touch ?
I absolutely love your remix of Guttersnipe. Never managed to catch you when you played progression in Edinburgh a couple of weeks ago.

all the best

stallos

snowtires

Re: Recordings have a small delay

Post by snowtires » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:22 pm

hade wrote:Switched over to an Alesis IO2 from MAudio USB Quattro, Now the stuff I record isn't in syc, there's a small delay. Which isn't good as I need to compensate by hand on every recording, and was just getting into looping live.
In preferences my buffers are as low as they'll go without the audio breaking up, about 10ms.

you need to stop using usb interfaces. get a fw 400 (or 800, if you have the cash) interface and your problem will be solved.

chrislake

live

Post by chrislake » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:44 pm

yeah, that's me :) progression was wicked thanks. Had a great time

Sales Dude McBoob

Re: recording delay

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:45 pm

chrislake wrote:I am having a very similar problem. I run a PC and live 5.1.2 with a Delta 44 soundcard

I am really confused as to why Live seems to create this delay in recording. Even with monitoring it is delayed, and when working with singers, this is very offputting and can ruin the singers timing because they are listening to their voice delayed

Any tips on resolving this problem please?
Chris,

Have you adjusted the buffer in Live's preferences? Your Delta 44 card should be able to get pretty low latency.

chrislake

Post by chrislake » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:47 pm

yeah I can get the latency low, but I still get a very big delay in my recordings. monitoring is delayed which is a big problem for me

stallos

Post by stallos » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:48 pm

respect man.

i just knew you would be an ableton user!

your tracks have been rockin it for me big style in my DJ sets.

Would love to have a go at remix something of yours if you were feeling especially generous!

hope to catch you next time you play, where are you based?

hope you can improve the latency somehow

stallos

hade

Post by hade » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:45 pm

Fixed the latency problem by going through the latency tutorial, although modified the instructions a bit after almost stuffing my speakers when it says plug out to in!

But I get little glitches here and there in my audio. Quite annoying really, it's not a buffer problem as I've increased that to 2048 samples and still glitching.. Fuckin peice of crap soundcard I reckon.. Although it's fine with cubase, iTunes etc.. Just Live it doesn't like - even with a set that's like 500Kb big with 3Mb of samples..

Anyone else have problems with Alesis Soundcards??

captain wam

Re: Recordings have a small delay

Post by captain wam » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:39 am

hade wrote:Switched over to an Alesis IO2 from MAudio USB Quattro, Now the stuff I record isn't in syc, there's a small delay. Which isn't good as I need to compensate by hand on every recording, and was just getting into looping live.

same problem here on MOTU 896. Really annoying.

Figured out it only happens when a track is set to Auto monitoring. At that point, the extra latency added in preferences seems to have no effect on the placement of the recording; nor does toggling delay compensation. However, when track monitoring is set to "off," then it functions as expected. I had 1ms of latency I had to add.

In order to monitor through Live, AND have a recording that lines up correctly afterwords, I'm going to create two tracks from the same input simultaneously. One track set to "Input," one track set to "Off." I'll just have to mute/delete the track that was set to "input" after the recording.

This is definitely a problem with Live. All other audio apps on my system work fine: Logic, PT, DP, and even Garageband. Latency in monitoring is to be expected, but the audio should record at the correct time!