Doing it the Kid Beyond way

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pieter

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:16 pm

hi - has somebody a clue why this doesn't work?

pieter

Post by pieter » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:04 pm

pieter wrote:hi - has somebody a clue why this doesn't work?
anybody? i should asked something about shaving my balls to get an answer.

basically the problem is like this:
i record a clip in session view, and when i press the launch button again, the clip stops and doesn't start looping (and page 141 of the manual says it should be looping straight away).

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:48 pm

preferences>

launch mode: trigger
loop/warp: auto
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

bray

Post by bray » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:16 am

i am using the mr. yellow/quandry set up basically, but am missing one seemingly obvious point somehow.

i use an fcb and do loop recording. everything works great as long as i dedicate a specific pedal (midi note) to a specific clip slot for a loop. is there some way to record into multiple slots without needing a new specific note (pedal) for each slot?

i want to dedicate one pedal per track to record mulitple clips. is there someway to do that? for example, can i set up a pedal that records a loop in track one, set up a pedal that triggers "scene down" and then record in the lower clip for that scene somehow with the track one pedal?

thanks for any help. i have tried controlaid and it stumped me, so if i can do this all in live i would be very happy...

b

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:11 am

not sure if it can work this way--would love to know if there is a way. My rather rough method is to select all the clips in the first scene that I want to get rid of by using the mouse to highlight them. Then I hit the "delete" key (or sometimes dedicated "delete" footpedal), which deletes the selected/highlighted clips in the first scene. I obviously do this between songs, sometime leaving some clips to transition in the next song.

btw, my whining about midi select on launch is over, they've finally fixed it in the 6 betas. Of course, you have to still use bomes/midi ox to delete a flubbed clip with a foot pedal, but at least it is reliably possible in 6, unlike 4 or 5--finally I can use a version of Live post 3!!!

Ryan
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

bray

Post by bray » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:36 pm

i get that. but do you ever constuct a tune live with more than one scene?
it seems like that is the beauty of what kid beyond is doing....

quandry

Post by quandry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:33 pm

bray wrote:i get that. but do you ever constuct a tune live with more than one scene?
it seems like that is the beauty of what kid beyond is doing....
yes, I do. Forgot to mention that for these tunes with multiple scenes, what I do is get the first scene (verse) going with all of the loops I make, then use the mouse to drag over these clips to select them, then move them down a scene to free up my first scene to allow me to use my same midi pedals to create more loops for the chorus section. REquires mousing, and maybe not ideal, but it's quick and gets the job done.

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:59 pm

another confused soul here

let me show u my setup so that u can tell me if theres sumting wrong or sumthing useless hehe

im using fcb1010

pedal 1 is SPACE BAR...to play. 1st track will play... it has the "hihat" mtronome
pedal 2 is programd to arm record track 2 and press record button

i hav to hold pedal to so that i can record for a couple of bars...
when i release it... the MIDI note OFF is also programd to stop the clip recording.

pedal 3 is also programd that way for the track 3

lets say iv already recorded 5 trakcs/loops

how do i use the drag n drop thing... the one kid beyond was talkin bout in his video....
for example: track1 is the hihat . track 2 is the bass loop. track 3 is the gitar melody. track 4 is the congas.

i usually use track 5 for vocals/lyrics... meaning i wont really record in that track...

this is the scenario.... how do i go back to track 2 so that i can record a new bass pattern?

just like what kid beyond did in the tutorial video "Deep inside"...?

he was able to trigger everything smoothly...meaning ... he can launch scences anytime we wants... he can change patterns immadietly..... he can stop other clips ... he can record a new drum pattern...whew...

actually im studying that video so that i get forlmulate sumthing out of it...
as a base start

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:12 am

We're making gradual progress, but we still aren't there yet -- Kid Beyond does his stuff hands free, and so far, this thread hasn't got us hands-free yet.

I found that Live will let me assign a footswitch to 'next scene' and 'prev scene', but that hasn't helped yet, because all that does is move Live's horizontal selection stripe up and down -- it doesn't actually start the scene.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:31 am

Mooncaine, as far as I know Kid B doesn't use more than one or two scenes per song, so it's easier to simply assign two footswitches to launch scene 1 and scene 2.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:41 am

Thanks, Mac. You might be right. I'm hoping to get at least 3 scenes going, but I hesitate to give up 3 switches on my 1010 just to fire them. I might find another way, if I keep probing....

djmyke

Post by djmyke » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:20 pm

well i hav done my live gigs hands free...

the only glitch is.... is want to shortcut keystrokes... efficient combination i mean...

live 7. reason 4
maudio fwire 410 axiom 49. fcb1010
taylor 614ce
banshee talkbox

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:42 pm

mooncaine wrote:Thanks, Mac. You might be right. I'm hoping to get at least 3 scenes going, but I hesitate to give up 3 switches on my 1010 just to fire them. I might find another way, if I keep probing....
Two options as I see it:

1: Make sure your set only has three scenes in it. Assign one button to Scene Launch (the play button that appears when you enter midi assignment mode), and make sure that Select next scene on launch is turned on by right-clicking the scene section.

Now pressing the same button will cycle through the scenes, so getting from scene two to scene one simply takes a double-press of the button.

2: Assign one of the pedals to scene selection, and one button to launch.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mooncaine

Post by mooncaine » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:41 am

xrayfish shows us how we can navigate among the clip cells in Session view in ye olde Realtime Looping ESSENTIALS thread:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

At the mo, I'm searching this forum for a list of all the MIDI commands sent out by a Mackie Control, and what they do, because, as xrayfish's tip shows, there are functions hidden from us that can be accessed via MIDI controllers. Just need that complete list....