Add Your Own Lessons

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
arafel

Re: Add Your Own Lessons

Post by arafel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks for your work on this..

Being able to add Lessons.. will totally help to make detailed notes on my Projects, to remind me of chord prog, edits to do, etc.

Cheers
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 am

:) Happy that it can be useful for others. I'll let know here if I discover other features (a lot are missing in my knowledge … ) I've ask directly to Ableton but they told me that it is not a supported feature and that there is no manual for that. I think they have some good reasons for not to share it to all users ?
There's also the "info" feature which is of good interest, and that was the solution Ableton proposed, but we can't use it for scores, etc, and these are located in a single spot of the set, so displayed only when the mouse on that spot … :roll:

Cheers
Gerald

G5 duo 2.3 GHz 2 Gig RAM, MacBook dual 2.4 GHz 4Go RAM
MacOS 10.5.8, Ableton Live 6 to 8.2.1, Logic 6 to Studio 8, Melodyne Editor & Studio 3

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Fantastic! Thank you so much... 8O
I've been trying to work this one out for ages... I forgot the $Page"name_of_file_"

I'm preparing for my first gig "remixing" a band live and this will help me no end 8)

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:04 pm

cool.. been wanting to do this for a while but just didn't have the time to dive in.

looking at some of the included lessons i've managed to get a few more available options..

LOCAL LINK $Link here <Lesson:Builtin/BuiltinLessons/Sub-Lessons/Lesson View>.
This 'Lesson:' link goes to your library folder, within this directory structure: \Ableton8\Lessons\Sub-Lessons

*Click $Link here <Set:/Sets/New in Live 8 Demo.als> to load the demo Set.*
This 'Set:' link goes to your library folder also, but references files within: \Ableton8\Lessons\Sets

Creating more pages to your lesson:

$Comment ---------------------------enter any comments that wont be rendered-------------------------
$Page Introduction to Set
$TargetName Introduction to Set

/Introduction to Set/

INFO GOES HERE

To call this 'page' from another area of your lesson use this format:

$Link Introduction to Set <GotoPage:Introduction to Set>

and it will jump to the TargetName you defined

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Hello cotdagoo,

Local link works, but I tried to add new Lessons files in these folders, what is actually possible, but they are not recognized.

For pages added, it simply doesn't work (error message when clic on the link).
perheaps is it something in relation with the system's langage ? (I'm in french), or with CategoryDescription files that we find also in Lessons with several pages ?
Gerald

MacOS 10.5.8, Ableton Live 6 to 8.2.1, Logic 6 to Studio 8, Melodyne Editor & Studio 3

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Hello folk

here some more info concerning the way of making the Lessons. I did'nt notice it in my first memo, but I had a problem concerning a question on which I have not really knowledge ; it can be obvious for some of you, but perheaps not at all for others … :wink: :

It's about diacritics (non ASCII letters, accents and special letters, in french, spanish, danish, irish, …), which were not recognised in my first attemps and so displayed as "?" or even something as "?©t?©".
Actually, to display correctly occidental roman letters, the format must be "unicode 8" instead of roman.
(I suppose that other alphabets as japanese, arabic, …, or at least some of them, would need to be in Unicode 16 ? - didn't test it, except one time by error but then it did'nt open in Live … ? ).

As info, I use TextEdit on Mac for to write the Lessons (and actually, it's when noticing it that I got the idea :idea: ) ; this option is available when asking "Save as …", and can also be set in the Preferences.

Although only native english spoken guys (as I am not :wink: ) had written here, perheaps could you however be interested in writing lessons in french or else :D

Hope it helps too 8)
Last edited by ryckeboerg on Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gerald

Amitsegall

Post by Amitsegall » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi there Friends ...
i'm really into making my own lessons but i don't seem to get it ...
i've tried everything several times but i must be doing something wrong...
i'm using a PC and live 8.2.1 .. here is what i do... :
-i go inside my project folder (the white colored one)
-i create another folder named "xxxx lessons" just next to my XXXX.als file (the black colored icon)
-inside the lessons folder i create a file named "LessonsEN.txt" and inside it i could go wild writing whatever...
-loading my "xxxx.als" file , hoping to see my comments on the right side...
-dissappointing ... :cry: , nothing ...

i don't understand what i do wrong... i've look thourhg this thread and the older ones as well but it seems to work for everyone else...

i'd love to get it right ...

Many Many thanks,
Amit

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Hello Amit,
i create a file named "LessonsEN.txt
:arrow: - be sure that it's really a .txt file : I don't know well the Windows applications but AFAIR you can "Save as … .txt" in Word (or Open Office) : change or add the .txt extension after the file name is not enough, the file must be in the .txt format
:arrow: - the LessonEN.txt file must start with "$Page XXXX" for to be seen

Hope it helps :wink:
Gerald

Amitsegall

Post by Amitsegall » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:43 pm

Many thanks Dude...

Although first i didn't get it... the thing that was missing was the "$page XXXX" thing !
after you wrote me it didn't work first but then i got to think "why don't i check some of the packs i've downloaded..." and i've found their file and just changed it myself....
i even got a link inside working ! many thanks ...

Amit

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:05 am

Hello Amit
Great ! :mrgreen:

I actually planned to make (at least for me) a kind of short manual on lessons by collecting in one document all the stuff explained in this thread (which is certainly the only place where it had been done). But I wanted first go deeper in how to manage pages (for know, I can only work with one page) ; I hope to do it soon ("one should hammer the iron when it is hot" as we say in french :D )
Gerald

Amitsegall

Post by Amitsegall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:10 am

you are so right ! since this thread is quit old i was surprised to see that it's still a bit active, and that's what got me going ... but it sure is messy ... i think if you'll do that many other people like me would appreciate it.

good job !

DSPI

Post by DSPI » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 pm

ryckeboerg wrote:("one should hammer the iron when it is hot" as we say in french :D )
In English - "Strike while the iron is hot."
:D

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:05 pm

In English - "Strike while the iron is hot."
Thanks a lot ! 8) I should use it now ! :lol:

Actually, it's the same idea than in french. I thought it could be something quite different, what often happens with such expressions translated in other languages.
:wink:
Gerald

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Hello Ableton Lessons' fans :wink:

here isa small new detail I had just discovered about formatting the Lessons :

"Divider.tif"
is used to draw a separation line through the whole Lesson window. :idea:
It's actually a "reserved expression" because it's usually supposed to display a picture which is in the Lessons folder, but here there's none and anyway no need to.

Second thing is that I'm not far from finishing the "Manual" that I planned to do. It's bigger document than what I thought initially so I'll make it available for download and let you know here.
8)
Gerald

ryckeboerg

Post by ryckeboerg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello all,

At the end, I've finished (if ever it can be :roll: ) the "Ableton Live's Lessons' Missing Manual", and it's here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8688924/Live%27s_Lessons.zip

Feel free to download it, and to send me comments or else too :wink:

Hope it'll be useful
Gerald