studio ergonomics - how do you sit??????

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

studio ergonomics - how do you sit??????

Post by forge » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:09 pm

I'm having proper siatica/back troubles - I've got a good office chair, officey desk with keyboard tray thingy

I just cant seem to figure out how I'm supposed to sit to get comfortable

writing music is definitely not office work so it needs a different approach
I'm thinking I probably need a new HID device to replace the mouse, I've tried trackball type things but they're worse

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Moving around at different heights helps me minimize sciatica problems (as well as an exercise program the physiotherapist gave me that I don't do nearly enough!)

I designed and built a workstation that I could use in the studio and gig with. I can stand at it, or to sit at it I bought one of these:

It's adjustable up and down, you can lower to sit on it, raise it a bit higher to rest your butt on it, or raise it to full height and just lean against it.

It's a whole lot more comfortable than it looks.

I'm using a trackball, which I've gotten fast at and really like, and I've assigned many functions to a BCR and Faderfox to make things easier.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:02 pm

I gave up fixed workstation setup since whatever chair you have you ( i tried the best) will end up with pain anyway if you work as much as I do. Changing heights etc helps but if you do more the 8 hours daily it wont solve the problems. Only changing your entire, so if today you work in the studio, another day try on the terrace or garden whatever. I am taking full advantage of the new technology so I am changing all the time where, how I sit, work outside a lot. Different chairs, sofa, on the floor etc etc. Variation is the key

Anyone who plays out, specially longer gigs- that kind of chair like hambones is second important items only to your notebook on a gig. Even if you can rest or lean for 10-20 seconds it does make hell of a differnce.
Breaks are important, 10-20 seconds exercise to 1 minute but every hour or when you feel slightest pain- bend forward touching you knees, then backward, then some"triangle" Yoga position check some of these http://www.yoga-vidya.de/Asana_Uebungsp ... eieck.html

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:31 pm

I got the same problem,

as it stands I have most of everything i want in the studio, and I know exactly what I am gonna add to it, so I'm gonna work on designing a desk/table that suits my equipment and the way I like to control each piece. Shouldnt cost a fortune, using wood I hope...

my current setup is using loads of plain desks all put beside each other , in a U shape so I can reach everything from one spot - however I dont like leaving the 'stereo' position, so I'm gonna try and keep everything somehow central or tweakable in such a way that I dont leave the stereo field.

also my chair is an old grand-dadesque chair - four legs, no wheels or an axis for swivels. so I need a decent chair too, once I get the desk together. I hope by the end of the summer.

right now I use headphones, when I leave the stereo field...
in a nutshell, I recommend making your own rack/desk setup to totally suit what you've got - leaving space for some additions if you can

that standing/sitting chair is a good idea too - I prefer to stand when jamming, sit when editing...

good luck

mercyplease

Re: studio ergonomics - how do you sit??????

Post by mercyplease » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:46 pm

forge wrote:I just cant seem to figure out how I'm supposed to sit to get comfortable

Why, are you so stupid to work out how to sit or did you just need to write something to up your post count. Talking of which I bet that post count is really helping your music career.

Get a life
HA HA HA :twisted:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:57 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:I got the same problem,

as it stands I have most of everything i want in the studio, and I know exactly what I am gonna add to it, so I'm gonna work on designing a desk/table that suits my equipment and the way I like to control each piece. Shouldnt cost a fortune, using wood I hope...
Allow me to suggest that you take a closer look at this page:
http://www.jaspers-alu.de/eng/index.html
- I'm planning on assembling a custom stand plus trolley rack for studio AND live use.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:57 pm

mercyplease wrote:
forge wrote:I just cant seem to figure out how I'm supposed to sit to get comfortable

Why, are you so stupid to work out how to sit or did you just need to write something to up your post count. Talking of which I bet that post count is really helping your music career.

Get a life
cold and miserable in manchester is it?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:59 pm

forge wrote:
mercyplease wrote:

Get a life
Now that I've dropped out
Why is life
dreary dreary
Answer my weary query
Timothy Leary
dearie
Oh Manchester England England
Across the
Atlantic Sea
And I'm a genius genius
I believe in
God
And I believe that God
Believes in Claude
That's me

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Machinate wrote:
Hatchets McGee wrote:I got the same problem,

Allow me to suggest that you take a closer look at this page:
http://www.jaspers-alu.de/eng/index.html
- I'm planning on assembling a custom stand plus trolley rack for studio AND live use.
thanks alot....looks great, I havent checked out the cost yet tho...<crossing fingers>

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Machinate wrote:
forge wrote:
mercyplease wrote:

Get a life
Now that I've dropped out
Why is life
dreary dreary
Answer my weary query
Timothy Leary
dearie
Oh Manchester England England
Across the
Atlantic Sea
And I'm a genius genius
I believe in
God
And I believe that God
Believes in Claude
That's me
see, I knew you were an old hippy at heart! :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:09 pm

I sit staring at your picture forge - it's sad, kind of gay and some what hilarious but I don't go telling people we're together or nothing - sheesh!

:twisted:
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Hatchets McGee

Post by Hatchets McGee » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:10 pm

ok the prices arent bad - specially considering how much more portable/packable the JASPER solution is compared to making your own with wood...

damn tho, more shit to save up for :?
will knock something together in wood for the meantime..

thx again, i got that site bookmarked till I find a better solution if its out there

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:11 pm

does anyone care that I don't sleep on the weekends - anyone? Well then fuck y'all!

SYKE, sort of - there's a weird guy on my couch
Ableton | Elektron

Music

forge

Post by forge » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:16 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:ok the prices arent bad - specially considering how much more portable/packable the JASPER solution is compared to making your own with wood...

thx again, i got that site bookmarked till I find a better solution if its out there
doesnt sound like a bad thing to me

I saw a thing on telly the other night about sam maloof who is apparently this american " woodworker to the gods" type geezer and I would love to have studio furniture like that

course it depends how much effort you want to put into it, but If you could be arsed you could knock up some mean studio furniture out of wood

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:17 pm

Hatchets McGee wrote:ok the prices arent bad - specially considering how much more portable/packable the JASPER solution is compared to making your own with wood...

well the good thing about those systems is that they can be assembled over longer periods of time, much like a modular synth. For instance you could start by getting rackmounting gear and assemble it as a table-top solution to begin with (putting them on your old table), and then later on you can add it to a larger table-style frame.