RME multiface (cardbus) - Ableton - and Mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bip

RME multiface (cardbus) - Ableton - and Mac

Post by bip » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:02 am

hi,
i have a licence for ableton live (pc)
a rme multiface II (cardbus)

and i would like to go for a mac (dual intel)

i have 2 questions:

- do i have to buy another licence for mac? (i want to use one on pc, and one on mac)

- will i find a mac with a pcmcia slot? (the new ones have a new protocol)

or should i stay on pc and upgrade when live6 will handle dual core?

any comments welcome

bye

by-pass

Post by by-pass » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:54 am

hi, your license is ok for mac and pc :-)
and for the cardbus you need to install the mac firmware for
the rme multiface
--> http://www.rme-audio.com/download/fut_mac_dsp.gz

see ya

Fil
--> for info: http://www.music0films.info
--> Material:
  • Macpro, Yamaha 01X, APC 40, Novation Nocturn 25 , Ableton Live + Max4live + Serato Scratch Live
  • Macbook pro, RME multiface, Korg nanoPAD, nanoKeys, Ableton Live + Max4live

bip

Post by bip » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:32 pm

thank you for your answer.
that i don't have to buy another licence is already a good new!
i was really not sure...

the problem with the cardbus is that on the new mac there is not cardbus slot. and on the macbook pro there is one, which is not compatible because it uses another port. i think it is called "airport" or something like that...
in this case i won't be able to use the rme.
and if i can't use the rme i will go for another pc...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:34 pm

you are allowed to use the same Ableton license on your two computers - but it is not meant to be at the same time. It is meant so you can have a 'studio install and one for the road, if you see what I mean.

Ableton have spies everywhere to ensure this, so if you are approached by a man with a german accent at your next gig and you have two laptops running Ableton on the same license .. well ...my advice, he may claim to be a casual audience member giving you some praise , but no. he is part of the Ableton Enforcement Team and can kill a man without a trace with over 207 deadly ways.

I've already said too much.

someone knocking at the door ...

by-pass

Post by by-pass » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:45 pm

of course in the new macbook (no pcmcia slot) and the macpro have the new pcmcia slot, and at this time no much product have this slot .....
but the best solution is sales yoour multiface and buy the new firewire 400 from rme :-)....
--> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff400.htm

see ya

Fil
--> for info: http://www.music0films.info
--> Material:
  • Macpro, Yamaha 01X, APC 40, Novation Nocturn 25 , Ableton Live + Max4live + Serato Scratch Live
  • Macbook pro, RME multiface, Korg nanoPAD, nanoKeys, Ableton Live + Max4live

drumroll57

Post by drumroll57 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:52 pm

by-pass wrote:but the best solution is ..... buy the new firewire 400 from rme
Great!! Just please let us know where there are physical models of this in stock and you can ACTUALLY buy one.

Great-looking brochure on the web site!!

The best I have managed so far is to get a jpeg of it..... but not much else.

ymmv™

D.
stay groovy!

bip

Post by bip » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:01 pm

by-pass wrote:of course in the new macbook (no pcmcia slot) and the macpro have the new pcmcia slot, and at this time no much product have this slot .....
but the best solution is sales yoour multiface and buy the new firewire 400 from rme :-)....
--> http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff400.htm

see ya

Fil
i have just bought my rme multiface II and i'm very happy with it, i think i will go for another pc and forget the macbook....
in my case it is the best solution...

bip

Post by bip » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:you are allowed to use the same Ableton license on your two computers - but it is not meant to be at the same time. It is meant so you can have a 'studio install and one for the road, if you see what I mean.

Ableton have spies everywhere to ensure this, so if you are approached by a man with a german accent at your next gig and you have two laptops running Ableton on the same license .. well ...my advice, he may claim to be a casual audience member giving you some praise , but no. he is part of the Ableton Enforcement Team and can kill a man without a trace with over 207 deadly ways.

I've already said too much.

someone knocking at the door ...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

4am

Post by 4am » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:21 pm

bip wrote:the problem with the cardbus is that on the new mac there is not cardbus slot. and on the macbook pro there is one, which is not compatible because it uses another port. i think it is called "airport" or something like that...
same here,
i want to upgrade to a macbook pro
but don't want to change the soundcard (rme multiface w. cardbus)
i will probably buy a sony vaio or an asus with dual core....
even if i hear a voice saying: "buuuuy a maaaac... buuuy a maaaac" :wink:

quandry

Post by quandry » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:26 pm

4am wrote:
bip wrote:the problem with the cardbus is that on the new mac there is not cardbus slot. and on the macbook pro there is one, which is not compatible because it uses another port. i think it is called "airport" or something like that...
same here,
I'd look around these forums and the net before popping the trigger on a vaio--people have had some bad experiences with their build quality and "customer service" (or complete lack thereof). Many people around here (myself included) have had great sucess with Toshiba notebooks--can't really think of hearing much of anything bad about them. The lack of a pcmcia slot on the intelmacs is a serious oversight.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:00 pm

4am wrote:
same here,
Who`s voice is it? You better find out. On the serious note, Vaio is the only alternative to Mac and I used most of the brands. I do hate Sony like anyone else does but what to do they are the best. The point is I had 3 Vaios in a row, never needed any support and resold them for good money.
The newest is almost year old and looks like new, except scratch after my (Ableton !) bag fallen from the van while on tour- 3 feet on the concrete and the mofo Vaio works as nothing happened

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:03 pm

4am wrote:even if i hear a voice saying: "buuuuy a maaaac... buuuy a maaaac" :wink:
last one I knew who was hearing voices ended up in a psychiatrich hospital, he was happy as he was getting free pills :wink:

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi have an indigo DJ which is sweet for live gigs were not much space is available... i'm probably buying a macintel as soon as the beta testing finishes...and I have the same problem, my indigo dj won't be of any use at all because they don't have pcmcia slot...which sucks big time...
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

valis

Post by valis » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 pm

Just a note that the Macbook Pro's dont lack a cardbus slot, they're using the newer PCIe variant on cardbus (forget what it's called). I think Dell and several others are shipping systems with this now too so make sure when you order your notebook you get a cardbus slot and not the newer variant (google it and you'll find plenty of info).

bip

Post by bip » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:33 pm

valis wrote:Just a note that the Macbook Pro's dont lack a cardbus slot, they're using the newer PCIe variant on cardbus (forget what it's called). I think Dell and several others are shipping systems with this now too so make sure when you order your notebook you get a cardbus slot and not the newer variant (google it and you'll find plenty of info).
i've heard the same...
on the actual vaio series it comes with a slot compatible for cardbus + the new one (airport?)...but not 100% sure...