BCR2000... how do you roll yours?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 am

Freekster wrote:Is there anyway to make BCR templates to Operator etc.?
In logic it's easy to make templates to like EXS just giving the right cc's to BCR, but in live i cannot find the cc numbers of live instruments and they don't send any parameter to BCR when in learn mode. Yes, it's easy to learn buttons in live, but i don't want do it everytime i open new operator.
hit the midi learn button in Live in the upper right.
click on an operator button.
twiddle a BCR encoder.
save, enjoy, uninstall Logic ;) .

or get a novation remote SL for the automapping.

I'm 99% sure there are no pre-set cc#s for ableton, maybe start/stop/play, but it's built as a wide open assignable platform, with automap FWIW.

Freekster

Post by Freekster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:52 pm

I haven't noticed that i could use same button to controll cuttoff in ail chanels where i have operator. How is it possible? In logic it only affects on the selected channel. In live it don't matter where i am, it receives the controll data allways.

I don't want to map controls everytime i open new synth/effect.

Uninstall logic? Good joke :wink: It's called "Sound Quality". :D

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:53 pm

Freekster wrote:I don't want to map controls everytime i open new synth/effect.
With the BCR you have to map them every time. If you don't want to map them, get a Novation SL0. With that device, you click on an operator (any operator, new, old, any track, any place) and automap tells the SL to go into Operator mode and the left side of the device is routed to Operator. Automap has worked for on every plug-in I've tried, free ones, Live's plug-ins, stuff I've paid for, everything.

My workflow (I should say funflow, it's not work) is to start a set, open a vst and use the SL25 to dig into the synth. When I find parameters I like, I map them to the buttons on the lower left of the SL or onto the BCR. So, I use automap as a quick and dirty way to get into a vst, and the BCR to cement them in place and for the ability to tweak more than 1 vst at once.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 pm

No idea about my issue?

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:46 pm

rbmonosylabik wrote:ok, I've RTFM and it says:
KONTROL49 format

F0: Exckysuve statys
42: Korg ID
4n [n=0-F] Global MIDI channel 1-16
6E: Model ID
02: KONTROL49 sub-ID
ff: Function ID (type of message)
~
F7: End of exclusive

Switching scenes
When the KONTROL49 receives a message of [F0, 42, 4n, 6E, 02, 1F, 14, ss, F7] (ss=00: Scene number 1 - 0B: Scene number 12), it will switch to the specified scene. When the scene is switched, the KONTROL49 will transmit [F0, 42, 4n, 6E, 02, 1F, 14, ss, F7]
I'm on a Mac and just got MidiPipe. Is there a way to send this kind of message directly from Live or to modify a message with MidiPipe to get this?
The question is pretty cryptic, what is it you want to do? Control your Kontrol 49 from Live? Are you asking how to send the MIDI messages you quoted from the manual? I haven't used a Kontrol 49. :( Maybe you could record the datastream with MIDIPipe and squirt it into Live and see what gets recorded. I'm on PC, so MIDIPipe is also foreign to me.

anyway, bumped with a reference.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:53 pm

Oh, sorry, the K49 part is solved. I want to do something similar with the BCR:

Send a program change from Live to MidiPipe
Modify it as needed in MiPi and send it to the BCR
Have the BCR change to preset defined in the message

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:03 pm

So you want to switch BCR presets with Live?

I don't think the BCR does that, it's a controller. I would think there'd have to be a setting for program change channels coming into the BCR, otherwise it'd be too easy to accidentally change presets. I doesn't transmit preset changes either (not that it would have to.)

Did you know you can hold down EITHER preset up/down button and twiddle ANY encoder to zip through presets quickly? I work with 10 presets on my BCR and it's quick and easy to jump from one to the other.

hope that helps...

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:09 am

Yes, that's how I've been using it so far :P.

I just would like to try it with the programmed preset changes to see if it fits my needs better. I sometimes find it hard to remember what preset(s) I'm using for each song....

...maybe I should rehearse more :roll:

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:26 pm

Official Behringer's reply:
While it is certainly possible for the BCR2000 or BCF2000 to send MIDI program changes to another MIDI device, such as a synthesizer or MIDI sequencer, or to receive incoming MIDI messages and display them as 'visual feedback' (i.e., if a control is assigned to a particular type of MIDI message, and that same MIDI message is received at the BCR2000/BCF2000 input, the 'status' of that control may be visually displayed by the lights around a rotary encoder, etc.), the BCR2000 itself does not have its own MIDI implementation; in other words it is not possible for the BCR2000 to respond to an incoming MIDI program change message by switching to another one of its own preset memory locations. This must be done from the front panel button(s).

We hope that we have been able to help you with this information.

Best regards,

Your BEHRINGER Customer Support Team

It's not possible

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:11 am

so changing presets while playing... brilliant. How do I control one parameter with two midi messages i.e. one from ch1 cc72 and one from ch2 cc72. I would like to keep some encoders on the same paramater. anyway you guys rock.
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...
2.8Ghz Quadcore on Asus MB, 4GBRam, Dual 512MB SLI Graphics both @16x.

wollej

Post by wollej » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:10 am

You can map one encoder to the same channel/CC in more than one preset. I always have the encoders of row 8 mapped to the master regardless of the preset.
MBP 2ghz, Live 8, MOTU 828 MK2, , Novation BassStation & SuperNova II, Virus Rack, Fatar Studio 88, BCR-2000, KRK RP6

http://www.myspace.com/elektrowolle

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:25 am

thanks. problem 1 solved. now on to problem two...

I wand to use bcedit to change functions but when trying to save from computer to bcr bcedit just freezes. I installed java runtime 1.4.2 instead of 1.5 and cant seem to get it to run in 1.4.2. software just freezes up when starting. can anyone give me help on how to launch bcedit in jre 1.4.2. I love you all just like that guy that loved the bears and was then eaten by them.
2.0Ghz Coreduo PC notebook, 4GB ram, Overclocked to hell sittin on aluminum extra fans w/ no drivebay or pcmcia...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:55 am

napalmskatterjazz wrote:thanks. problem 1 solved. now on to problem two...

I wand to use bcedit to change functions but when trying to save from computer to bcr bcedit just freezes. I installed java runtime 1.4.2 instead of 1.5 and cant seem to get it to run in 1.4.2. software just freezes up when starting. can anyone give me help on how to launch bcedit in jre 1.4.2. I love you all just like that guy that loved the bears and was then eaten by them.
BCEDIT is a dead end, a beta release software program that doesn't work for most people. Editing the BCR by hand is easy. Just keep in mind that you can easily copy entire presets, so start general with your assignments, copy them to a bunch of presets then fine tune from there. For example, assign every knob to a cc#0 through whatever, fill the preset, copy that to 16 of them then go back and change the channel # on each preset, as in preset 1 is all channel 1, preset 2 is channel 2.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

wollej

Post by wollej » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:02 pm

For complete changes of the chanel to use in the presets (preset 1 sending on channel 1, channel 2 for preset 2) it is easier to make an SysEx dump and use search & replace (".easypar CC 1" -> ".easypar CC 2") on the file with a binary editor (e.g. emacs). As long as the messages don't change their size, it's the fastest way to change them.
MBP 2ghz, Live 8, MOTU 828 MK2, , Novation BassStation & SuperNova II, Virus Rack, Fatar Studio 88, BCR-2000, KRK RP6

http://www.myspace.com/elektrowolle

napalmskatterjazz

Post by napalmskatterjazz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:31 pm

What Im really trying to do is get extra buttons by turning the function buttons into control change switches. This cant be done just on the conroller. think though... extra buttons on the side for navigation through a set like phatcon's settup. When am I going to need to store, learn, edit and exit playing live, It would be dope to have two or three presets with no functions on those. I need to get javaRE 1.4.2 running this... When it gets working I'll word yous cats up.