BCR2000... how do you roll yours?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
cashman

Post by cashman » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:44 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:I just started at channel 16 cc#0 and filled up presets. Once I used all the CC#s on channel 16 for presets 1 and 2 I copied those presets over so I only had to change the channel, not the channel and the cc#. I hope that makes sense.

But Machinete's already done the work for you. I did the same thing except for most of my presets the top section is exactly the same channel and presets so I always have access to the same 'universal' controls.

The cool part about multiple presets is that to change presets on the BCR you hold down a preset button and twist ANY encoder and it changes instantly. It really works great.
I can see my world opening up! Who needs Mackie Control!?

I think I'm going to design a BCR200 T Shirt!
Why have I been wasting so much time on the 'General' category?! :oops:

Cheers people.
:D
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

superpablo

to Hambone

Post by superpablo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:19 am

Hi

I'm superpablo from Italy and just bough a bcr and a BCD

So how can U assign two differents knobs to two different tracks for looping.

It seems that the bcr (I suppose it's my fault) determinates only one midi message for every clip.

As I send a midi message in order to assign 2 knobs or buttos to the looping points in a track, that's good for every track.

What i want is to assign different looping buttons for every single track.

Other thing is that using two devices like bcr+bcd some knobs seem to be unassignable, b'cause bcr doesn't let the bcd be assigned.... help.

superpablo
jpg

cashman

Post by cashman » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:38 pm

DeadlyKungFu wrote:I just started at channel 16 cc#0 and filled up presets. Once I used all the CC#s on channel 16 for presets 1 and 2 I copied those presets over so I only had to change the channel, not the channel and the cc#. I hope that makes sense.

But Machinete's already done the work for you. I did the same thing except for most of my presets the top section is exactly the same channel and presets so I always have access to the same 'universal' controls.

The cool part about multiple presets is that to change presets on the BCR you hold down a preset button and twist ANY encoder and it changes instantly. It really works great.
It was obvious really, as the answer was staring me in the face with the two letters printed to the bottom right of the second encoder on the top row - 'CH' :roll:

Is there a way to change the channel of the buttons &/ PUSH functions of encoders, as they only display a hyphen '-' as their MIDI channel?

I'm really getting into this!
Nearly a DJ
---
Mac PB G4, 1.67Ghz, 1.5Gb/ BCR2000/ EKS XP10/ Akai EWI 4000s/ Korg EMX1/ Saffire LE/ gemini PS-626i mixer various other musical instruments

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:19 am

cashman wrote:Is there a way to change the channel of the buttons &/ PUSH functions of encoders, as they only display a hyphen '-' as their MIDI channel?
Hold down the EDIT button and twiddle an encoder, push a button and you're editing that button/encoder.

I can roll through a preset fairly quickly, just have to keep my concentration.

Try messing with the last 3 options, 'MODE' and the last 2 unlabeled knobs, there's some pretty cool light effects in there. Check the manual or just pick a knob and see what all the options are.

And always remember to hit STORE before you switch presets or you'll lose your edits.

Keep an open mind, I've changed my setup 3 or 4 times and I'm happy with it now. The BCR has the best 'cool to cost ratio' of all my gear.

I don't read here that often, feel free to PM me.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:43 am

I spent months changing my setup, then decided it's "good enough," and memorized it. You can change your MIDI configuration forever, and never get anything done.

As well as saving your presets, it's a good idea to sysex-dump your settings to the computer every once in a while (2 buttons on a BCR makes it easy). I've documented mine on a spreadsheet, too.

Especially true if you're gigging, and makes it easy to transfer your setup to a backup.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:49 pm

I fear I'm DEFINITLY not using my BCR to it's fullest ponential.

So Far, I have all the dials assigned to channels 1 to 8 as sends, 4 for each channel.
I'm not currently using the push encoders for anything.

I have the 2 rows of buttons operating kill switches for the dj EQ - 3 buttons each - and the remaining buttons turn on effects such as beat repeat and flangers and so on.

I should explain also that I have the 8 channels split into 2 groups of 4, each group is routed to an Aux send which in turn are set to A mix and B mix.

so channels 1 to 4 are routed directly to A mix and channels 5 to 8 are routed to B Mix.
The two rows of buttons then control the effects and eq's that are set in each of the mixes, these will be the same for both A and B mixes.

I'm definitly gonna refine it some more.

I also use a faderfox LX-1 and LV-1.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:52 pm

actually,

is it possible to set the push encoders to do two things at once?

like if I press encoder one then send E (initally at 100%) goes to 0% and send F (initally ar 0%) goes to 100% and if I press it again the opposite happens??

that would be very useful

cashman

Post by cashman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:05 pm

cashman wrote:Is there a way to change the channel of the buttons &/ PUSH functions of encoders, as they only display a hyphen '-' as their MIDI channel?
I've worked out the problem. In the sysex preset files from Andreas/ The Covert Operators site (thanks Machinate), the MIDI channel of the buttons and encoders' push funtions was shown as a hyphen because their TYPE was set to 'SPC' and not 'CC'. :roll:

Thanks for the tips, although I was already aware of them - gotta love 'bar' light ring option!

I have already backed up my important presets with Sysex Librarian.
DeadlyKungFu wrote:The BCR has the best 'cool to cost ratio' of all my gear.
Same for me, although I haven't got my hands on a PadKontrol yet! Anyone want to buy a Zoom GFX 3? VG condition!!
hambone1 wrote:You can change your MIDI configuration forever...
Well, the BCR makes that so easy, it's almost difficult to resist.
Nearly a DJ
---

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:12 am

elektrovert-I just set one button to each function, then hit them both at the same time. Set the hi/lo values to zero & 127 (or whatever else) & put them in toggle mode.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:29 am

Another nice combo if you have some sends set pre-fader is to use a button to kill the track volume at the same time. For track volumes I think the high value is something like 108 to get 0db.

elektrovert

Post by elektrovert » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:24 am

John Sweet wrote:elektrovert-I just set one button to each function, then hit them both at the same time. Set the hi/lo values to zero & 127 (or whatever else) & put them in toggle mode.
nice one!
I'll give that a go!

divi

Post by divi » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:19 pm

elektrovert wrote:I fear I'm DEFINITLY not using my BCR to it's fullest ponential.
same here. i definitely have to try a couple of things described here!

superpablo

to everyone

Post by superpablo » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:59 pm

well, I'm not very practic in sending midi data... I'm a musician that loves electronic music, but to be sincere, I'm a newby... so I bought the bcd+bcr and now I'm trying to get out of a mess...

I'm trying to set the soundcard on my bcd in order to pre-listen to tracks... not very simple, but i'm trying, perhaps if someone can help me, in the next 10 years i'll do...

On the other hand, when i connect both devices the bcd+bcr it seems that one device doesn't let the other to operate some features, but as i said before, midi is new for me.

So any ideas?

superpablo
jpg

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:33 pm

Is it possible to tweak those preset change buttons, to send a CC or note when you change a preset?

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:41 am

how in the hell do you set up a knob to scroll scene???
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25