Live Lite 5.2 - what's missing from full version???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamester

Live Lite 5.2 - what's missing from full version???

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:42 pm

I just installed my M-Audio Live Lite 4 last nite, and to my surprise when registering, I was upgraded to Lite 5.2! =)

Way cool, but I can't seem to find what exactly the differences are between the Lite M-Audio addition and the full version. I want to know!!!

The M-Audio version didn't have the Essentials Pack, but I was able to import it from the Live 5 demo that I'd been using. Then I was able to download the other Packs from the website. It seems like I have everything but a printed manual.

What am I missing???

TIA....

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:25 pm

i think there's a limited amount of tracks in the lite version. i'm not sure if there's anything else that's different.

gregorythis

Post by gregorythis » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:55 pm

you cant export and save and all that jazz.. im pretty sure that the entire program is there though...could be wrong

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 pm

You can indeed export and save and all that jazz...this is the M-Audio Lite Edition, not the demo. ;-)

Decreased track count may be a factor, but otherwise it certainly seems like the full program is there. Enough to make me happy, at least! =)

I would think Ableton would be more forthcoming about what's missing in these special Lite versions...in order to entice a potential buyer (like me) into taking the plunge for all the extra goodies!

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:00 am

Lite 4 had a limited number of audio tracks (4 IIRC), a limited number of plugin slots and VSTis and built-in effects / instruments. And a limited number of scenes. I guess 5.2 is the same.

It took me very short time to run into the limits with a simple setup. Just try it yourself, add some tracks and apply some effects etc..
Listen to Lovin Teris at Soundclick!

jamester

Post by jamester » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:33 am

Well I'm bummed...

Lovin Teris is right: Four audio/midi tracks, and a limit of *ONE* vst. One vst??? C'mon now! 8O

So I guess the question is... Wait till Live 6 or jump in now? (just moved, money's tight)

Krugger

Post by Krugger » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:44 am

The full version comes with a No 1 Hit in all charts across the world.

Each copy comes with its unique Hit.

1 year following the release of this No 1 Hit, the full version also provides a wicked remix of the same song - which means bring another cool 20million dollars without breaking any sweat.

The full version also guarantees a total profit of 100 million from the No 1 Hit + Remix - failure to do so means Ableton HQ will cover the difference.

The boxed version comes with standard resources such as
1) deal striking agent
2) groupies
3) "I would like to thank..." speeches
4) chat show Dos and Don'ts during promotions
5) mobile numbers of the rich & famous for dating purposes
6) an installation disc (!) + printed manual

As a special World Cup promotion, if the boxed version is purchased before June 30th, the buyer will receive the winning score of the Cup Final including goal scorer(s).

Kr.

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:45 pm

jamester wrote:Well I'm bummed...

Lovin Teris is right: Four audio/midi tracks, and a limit of *ONE* vst. One vst??? C'mon now! 8O

So I guess the question is... Wait till Live 6 or jump in now? (just moved, money's tight)
I thought it was 4 audio AND four midi? That's a lotta music.

I went thru the same thing w/ Live Lite 4. It paid to wait. In the meanwhile, start saving up clips and money.

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:08 pm

I think there was no midi learn button on the top right in L4 lite.
You can only input midi to a track to play your notes, but no midi to control fx and launch clips.

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:57 pm

jamesp wrote:I thought it was 4 audio AND four midi? That's a lotta music.
4 tracks, yes. Allowed enough plugins to make a lotta music, no. You can only have 2 Live instruments and 1 VSTi.

But sure, it did get me hooked to buy the full version, and the limit on scenes was more of a hurdle for me.

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:30 pm

Yeah, my head hurt from banging against the ceiling, but I still made a lotta music with Lite. Bouncing Midi to audio, run fx thru the Sends - there's a lot you can do.

My main aim was/is to advise him to wait. Especially if money's tight. Remember how pissed-off the people who got left on the wrong side of the cutoff date were? Those threads are probably still there.

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:46 am

Thanks for the responses guys.
Yeah, I'm gonna wait and just jump right in to 6 when it comes out. Hopefully by late summer if I understand correctly.

This Lite version sucks quite frankly, I'm probably going to uninstall it and go back to the demo. Four tracks of audio/midi is not much at all, and one vst is ludicrous!

...but yeah, either way I'm hooked! :D

jamester

Post by jamester » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:49 am

Hey Lovin Teris:

Are you familiar with a band called "Kaptein Rodskjegg"?

Lovin Teris

Post by Lovin Teris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:08 am

I'm afraid not. :-(

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:34 am

There's was a Lite upgrade announced today.
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/20 ... rades.html

"Live Lite 5 Enhanced Edition offers many features found in Live 5, including Plug-in Delay Compensation, MIDI remote control, full ReWire support, high-definition recording and rendering (up to 32-bit), Mackie Control support, Track Freeze, and the "Complex" warp mode for high-fidelity, on-the-fly time stretching."

Like I say, I'd use Lite until they announce the Live 5 to 6 bump deal. I ran Live Lite 4 GTR until the day they said that folks buying Live 4 would get a Live 5 license. The upgrade from 4GTR to Live 4 was $249 IIRC. Presto, changeo, Live 5 for two fiddy.