Create "Group" from track selection

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
deva

Post by deva » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:39 pm

+1

Soma

Post by Soma » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:50 am

forge wrote:
Soma wrote:Just had a thought....

What if the idea could be expanded to turn multiple tracks into a rack?
Ah maybe that isn't such a good idea but at least an idea.

(and a bump :lol: )
about 2 posts above yours is a post with some links in it - check them out and give them a bump
Bumped yours so I thought I'd bump this one as well.

davidbayles

Post by davidbayles » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 pm

+1

John Daminato

Post by John Daminato » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:51 am

YOu can group tracks now but it just sucks kinda. YOU create a empty track, select input. Send all the tracks outputs you want to that input. Arm the group track and wallaa. Problem is when you solo that group, it doesnt solo the tracks in that group. NOt only that, if you solo a track in that group you cant hear it unless you solo the group track as well.. Now thats the ultra lame part, how does that make sense? unless Im doing something wrong. 8O

Ooops I just went back and read most of the thread and realized this has been said...
"Everybody is right in some way"
http://WWW.JOHNDAMINATO.COM http://www.myspace.com/daminato
i920 radiator cooled, hyper threaded, 7gigs-1333ram, Wndws 7,RMEfireface,UAD, bla bla

LoopyFIN

Post by LoopyFIN » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 am

That's is an excellent idea.

Though the photoshoppings were made in session view, I sure do hope this would be a feature on arrange view also.

I'd like to get collapsable folders in to it. I'd like to create a folder for my drums, in my tunes drums are easily 10 tracks alone. Those start to be irritating when having limited screen space.

Hopefully you guys understand that I'm trying to tell here. This is though quite standard feature in Cubase and Logic.
2,0 GHz MacBook Core2Duo 2,0Gb RAM & OSX 10.4.8
Live 6.0.1
Stylus RMX, FM8 + freeware Universal Binaries.

John Daminato

Post by John Daminato » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:13 pm

After sifting thru the wish list and this thread you begin to realize that people really love Ableton, but they want to take what they love and change it...Including me. Rule #1 never enter a relationship with the hopes to change the other person. Ableton has been so popular because it filled a gap that the electronic musician needed to perform live on stage. THey have maintaned a very minimal mind set.
My educated guess is, that Ableton now has the funds and staff to add any feature they want. They have like 30 employed. There must be a good reason they don't add a real grouping feature or scissors tools or all the other bullshit that engineers need to make a mix better.

I have to think that live will eventually split off and develop "LIVE PRO" Which is kinda like Cubase vs Nuendo.

Rarely if not but once or twice have I completely made a track in live. I always just get it close and render everything into cubase SX to do the mix and intensive editing and fx. Im not saying it cant be done in live, Im just saying I get better results with my method.
"Everybody is right in some way"
http://WWW.JOHNDAMINATO.COM http://www.myspace.com/daminato
i920 radiator cooled, hyper threaded, 7gigs-1333ram, Wndws 7,RMEfireface,UAD, bla bla

Soma

Post by Soma » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 am

LoopyFIN wrote:That's is an excellent idea.

Though the photoshoppings were made in session view, I sure do hope this would be a feature on arrange view also.

I'd like to get collapsable folders in to it. I'd like to create a folder for my drums, in my tunes drums are easily 10 tracks alone. Those start to be irritating when having limited screen space.

Hopefully you guys understand that I'm trying to tell here. This is though quite standard feature in Cubase and Logic.
Great Idea :)

jasinski

Post by jasinski » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 am

I am going to have to ditto the general wish of this thread; Groups or at least folder tracks seems like a no-brainer. Especially with the modular like routing of Lives tracks. I love that about Live but track management can quickly get plain rediculous.

Reading through many of these very good wish list suggestions (something that people at my job get paid to do...) I have to wonder does Ableton even read these threads???

I never see any Official responses in the suggestion threads.. are we just venting and day dreaming? It would be sad if that was the case.

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:18 am

jansinski wrote:I never see any Official responses in the suggestion threads.. are we just venting and day dreaming? It would be sad if that was the case.
Yeah, I get that impression too. I think they probably read it like you or i would a magazine, when they are bored. They have their own plan and I guess that is cool but it sure is fun to dream, and perhaps if a thread gets long enough and stays serious they might accidentally read it.

Philippe Michael

Post by Philippe Michael » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:20 pm

+1 . This is like basic essential if you want to go a bit further with Live, and most of us do.

WaveRider

Re: Create "Group" from track selection

Post by WaveRider » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:19 pm

Soma wrote:A nice mixing feature would be to select several tracks then right click and select group. Then the tracks would all send their output to a new audio track called "Group 1". The tracks would all get moved next to each other and and the "group" could be expanded or collapsed to show/hide the group's children tracks. Group tracks could have their own scenes that play all the clips in the group's row.

:D
This is bascially an encapsulation idea for all you OO heads out there. It's a bit like a folder track for all you conventional types. Actaully the ability to click-shrink/click-expand any track in the session view would help too.
agree!!!! that is a needed feature

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Soma wrote:[They have their own plan
...part of the problem... I do not think they listen enough.

Soma

Post by Soma » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm

Is NAMM comming up? :lol:

paveloso

Groups, please!

Post by paveloso » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:06 pm

These would be so useful, and are actually present in a bunch of ther apps already.
This allows, for example, to edit all drum tracks at once, without the danger of editing one of them and messing its time location against the rest of them.
=)

womoma

Post by womoma » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:31 am

+1