Create "Group" from track selection

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:21 pm

mercyplease wrote:
forge wrote:I was going to post a wish again last night for at the very least the ability to solo grouped tracks - so you can route a number of tracks to one trck then solo the bussed one and hear all of them

I really want to be able to bus tracks but this one thing makes it practically unusable
I totally fucking agree. With the new racks function iits now even more nescessary. I tell you forge apart from you and maybe one or two others I dont see any of the heavy post hitters around here asking for such a basic feature. I mean its so needed I find it hard to believe there was no attempt made to put this in live 6.

How difficult is it for Ableton to understand that when yuo have two impulses running with sixteen seperate drums out put to seperate tracks the operator needs to solo individual instruments without hunting down the master channe, and add thi sto grouped audio tracks and other soft synths and it becomes a mixer you dont want to use
This is 101 basic engineering. Such a shame shame shame were going to have to wait another year for this.
I would still like to know why this request is not important to many of the regulars.
Its in there now. The return tracks can do it so why didnt they creaet a new type of track called groups tracks. I hope this has nothing to do with ableton just being different for the sake of it.
oh yeah - I was pretty gobsmacked when I got the alpha and it wasnt there - one of the first complaints I made

and I dont know if you saw the post I made in the wishlist forum the other day - but one of the actual demo tracks has a sub-mix in it and the first thing I went to do was solo a track and -SILENCE - so it's even on display right there in a demo track as soon as you open it

I would really hope this could be a 6.x release - it's too annoying to think we'll have to wait a whole year for this

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:22 pm

Soma wrote:Bummed it didn't make it. But then again it was last minute.
No it wasnt. Im not trying to steal your thunder mate but this has been asked for up to two years ago according to my search. Its been asked for a lot by members who dont come here now but interestingly I couldnt find many of the regulars names on the request threads.
According to what I have found this has been asked for many time and I will go as far to say I bet it was asked for with version 2 and 3.
HA HA HA :twisted:

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:24 pm

mercyplease wrote:
Soma wrote:Bummed it didn't make it. But then again it was last minute.
No it wasnt. Im not trying to steal your thunder mate but this has been asked for up to two years ago according to my search. Its been asked for a lot by members who dont come here now but interestingly I couldnt find many of the regulars names on the request threads.
According to what I have found this has been asked for many time and I will go as far to say I bet it was asked for with version 2 and 3.
you used to not be able to to solo sends without having to click the returns - then they added "solo in place" and I think that was version 3 - and I was surprised then that they didnt make it for groups too

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm

forge wrote:
mercyplease wrote:
forge wrote:I was going to post a wish again last night for at the very least the ability to solo grouped tracks - so you can route a number of tracks to one trck then solo the bussed one and hear all of them

I really want to be able to bus tracks but this one thing makes it practically unusable
I totally fucking agree. With the new racks function iits now even more nescessary. I tell you forge apart from you and maybe one or two others I dont see any of the heavy post hitters around here asking for such a basic feature. I mean its so needed I find it hard to believe there was no attempt made to put this in live 6.

How difficult is it for Ableton to understand that when yuo have two impulses running with sixteen seperate drums out put to seperate tracks the operator needs to solo individual instruments without hunting down the master channe, and add thi sto grouped audio tracks and other soft synths and it becomes a mixer you dont want to use
This is 101 basic engineering. Such a shame shame shame were going to have to wait another year for this.
I would still like to know why this request is not important to many of the regulars.
Its in there now. The return tracks can do it so why didnt they creaet a new type of track called groups tracks. I hope this has nothing to do with ableton just being different for the sake of it.
oh yeah - I was pretty gobsmacked when I got the alpha and it wasnt there - one of the first complaints I made

and I dont know if you saw the post I made in the wishlist forum the other day - but one of the actual demo tracks has a sub-mix in it and the first thing I went to do was solo a track and -SILENCE - so it's even on display right there in a demo track as soon as you open it

I would really hope this could be a 6.x release - it's too annoying to think we'll have to wait a whole year for this
I just wish Robert could explain to use why. The man surely must need this feature unless hes using an hardware console with all outputs using dedicated channels?
can I also ask you Forge why you think some of the regulars dont ask for this feature. I must say I find that incredibly strange considering they have been using the software for a number of years. Dont these guys ever mix songs.

I agree its incredibly frustrating to think we have to wait a year. I once saw a campaign at Cubase.net where the users got together and demanded a feature that was really needed. I wasnt involved as I wasnt really using SX2 at the time. But they got this feature added in an interim update so it goes to show the power of the user. To do that here is probably really unlikely but I thought if some of the long users got together and wrote a nice letter or something.

Other than that 6 is shaping up to be en excellent upgrade, much better than I thought it would be. Now if only they had..

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:32 pm

Support for groups bump....

Be nice to be able to freeze a group as well to relieve Disk + CPU usage when dealing with groups.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:34 pm

I imagine some user of a daw buying live and at first glance thinking obviously he must be missing something, theres a switch or command somewhere. Its just a feature that you would totally expec today after all its been around since consoles of the 1950's. It has creative uses as well, a lot of them actually so the nerds can get off on it to.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

mercyplease wrote: I just wish Robert could explain to use why. The man surely must need this feature unless hes using an hardware console with all outputs using dedicated channels?
can I also ask you Forge why you think some of the regulars dont ask for this feature. I must say I find that incredibly strange considering they have been using the software for a number of years. Dont these guys ever mix songs.

I agree its incredibly frustrating to think we have to wait a year. I once saw a campaign at Cubase.net where the users got together and demanded a feature that was really needed. I wasnt involved as I wasnt really using SX2 at the time. But they got this feature added in an interim update so it goes to show the power of the user. To do that here is probably really unlikely but I thought if some of the long users got together and wrote a nice letter or something.

Other than that 6 is shaping up to be en excellent upgrade, much better than I thought it would be. Now if only they had..
yeah I really dont know - that makes it even more frustrating because I would think it was a big deal - I guess maybe alot of people dont go splitting their drums to seperate tracks or making sub-mixes - but when one of the demo tracks actually showed up with a sub mix in it I was pretty surprised

although saying that there are threads periodically and you usually get loads of people adding their bit

I guess for now they figure as you can assign one button or computer keyboard key to all of them at once that it's just as easy to do that when you set a group up - but it's not the same

forge

Post by forge » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:38 pm

ashtonron wrote:Support for groups bump....

Be nice to be able to freeze a group as well to relieve Disk + CPU usage when dealing with groups.
yeah that's another one - that would be awesome

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:58 pm

The request was for more than just group solo. I hope you all see that there is a bunch more functionality wrapped up in the implementation proposed in the OP and pictures.
You get group triggers, better screen management, quicker routing,... As a bonus you do get group solos though :D

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:04 pm

group tracks / track folders are a must. i can't believe live 6 doesn't have them.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 am

Soma wrote:The request was for more than just group solo. I hope you all see that there is a bunch more functionality wrapped up in the implementation proposed in the OP and pictures.
You get group triggers, better screen management, quicker routing,... As a bonus you do get group solos though :D
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48487

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 556#356556

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49457

michkhol

Post by michkhol » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Actually there is a track group with 8 dumb Simplers stuck to each track. You can mute/solo each track as well as the whole group. You can add any effects. You can input these tracks separately from other tracks. You can even send MIDI to the whole group!

It's called Impulse :)

+1 for the track groups

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Just had a thought....

What if the idea could be expanded to turn multiple tracks into a rack?
Ah maybe that isn't such a good idea but at least an idea.

(and a bump :lol: )

michkhol

Post by michkhol » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Soma wrote:Just had a thought....

As a software developer I can see the conversion of instrument groups to a rack as an expansion which doesn't require change of concept (both groups and racks sit within a track). Putting tracks into a rack or input/output selectors into a rack strip requires changing the concept of a _track_ and it's a hell of recoding (and bugs). A group track is essentially a return track with a different name and ability to hide grouped tracks from view, which can be coded with less effort (and bugs). Besides a lot of competing DAWs have already implemented it.

By the way I got a confirmation from Ableton that Pre mode in return tracks doesn't work as it should (solo should not mute sending tracks), so I hope we'll have a workaround (as a bugfix) earlier than any implementation of group tracks.
MacBook 1.83, G5 2.3 Dual-core 1.5G RAM, M-Audio Axiom49, MOTU Ultralite, Live 6.0.7, DP 5.12

forge

Post by forge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:48 pm

Soma wrote:Just had a thought....

about 2 posts above yours is a post with some links in it - check them out and give them a bump