CDJ mixing into Live?? Sync issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicious

CDJ mixing into Live?? Sync issues

Post by delicious » Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:35 am

I am trying to intergrate Live with CD mixing. I play with another guy that is very competent with CDJs but still learning the relevant skill for Ableton.
SO,
I was thinking about the best way to intergrate the two. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused

I want Muz (the other guy) to mix psy-trance with a DJ mixer. Then feed the audio out into my audio interface, that leads into Live (with my routing set to IN etc...)
I want to apply effects and dummy clips etc... to this DJ feed. Additionally trigger clips and loops etc..

Now, if the CDJ1000s deviate in any way from the master tempo the set will be out of sync. What is the best way to approach this problem.
I have thought about assigning a knob on my BCF2000 to the master tempo of live (with its BPM range set for 146 - 148), this will allow me to 'beatmatch' to the mixing. As far as i can tell, it will be impossible to have the CDJs triggering the TAP tempo control of Live to adjust the tempo, as the DJing tempo changes. :? :?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 am

You have the right idea. You have to beatmatch Live to the other source.

I assign a MIDI slider to the master tempo, and control the tempo like a turntable pitch control.

It took a little practice, but I can do it quite well now.
M-Tech D900T laptop, 17" WSXGA+ wide-screen, Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz HT (600 series) 2 MB cache, 2048 RAM (Dual Channel DDR2 PC4200 533 MHz), Dual hard drives: 80 gig x 2 = 160 gig SATA 5400 rpm (RAID 0 config)
Korg Zero 8 mixer/soundcard/MIDI

Danny Futuro

Post by Danny Futuro » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:39 am

you're gonna have to midi-map a fader to the tempo and just ride the pitch on the CDJs/Live in order to get em sync'd. Luckily, beatmixing is the easiest DJ skill to learn, and you can probably get it down in a day or so.
Self-hating american.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:02 am

Someone posted a Mac utility to "push" the tempo with the Pitch Bend wheel, right?

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2

delicious

Post by delicious » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Cheers guys,

I thought that was the right approach. Already know how to beat match so I don't think it will be too bad to pick up.

Tim.

moostapha

Post by moostapha » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:34 pm

If only you, me and DEAD people could read hex, would we need this forum?

macca

Post by macca » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:41 pm

couldnt you just add delay to the track in live? not sure if you would need to adjust it for every tune tho?
P4 3ghz XP, Live 5.03, Reason 3, Absynth 3, 410 F/W Card, Roland Juno D, Alesis M1 Actives. DJM800 Mixer, Technics SLDZ1200, Denon S5000.

dallas!

Re: CDJ mixing into Live?? Sync issues

Post by dallas! » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:51 pm

delicious wrote:I am trying to intergrate Live with CD mixing. I play with another guy that is very competent with CDJs but still learning the relevant skill for Ableton.
SO,
I was thinking about the best way to intergrate the two. javascript:emoticon(':?')
Confused

I want Muz (the other guy) to mix psy-trance with a DJ mixer. Then feed the audio out into my audio interface, that leads into Live (with my routing set to IN etc...)
I want to apply effects and dummy clips etc... to this DJ feed. Additionally trigger clips and loops etc..

Now, if the CDJ1000s deviate in any way from the master tempo the set will be out of sync. What is the best way to approach this problem.
I have thought about assigning a knob on my BCF2000 to the master tempo of live (with its BPM range set for 146 - 148), this will allow me to 'beatmatch' to the mixing. As far as i can tell, it will be impossible to have the CDJs triggering the TAP tempo control of Live to adjust the tempo, as the DJing tempo changes. :? :?
I was going to say there's a way of using the Midi in/out of the cdj1000 to sync to live.....but it appears the CDJ doesn't have midi in/out....but the efx units do!!!

Check this post it might help.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 000+efx500

dallas