MacBook CPU throttling: anyone tried this "fix"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tonetripper

Post by tonetripper » Mon May 01, 2006 2:41 am

I know that if I search out various portions of this thread and the Apple thread I'll find out exactly what to do, but unfortunately I'm still unsure as to exactly what you have to do here.

Since AdamJay seems to be the one who has done this fix without any serious side effects could you put the exact fix with the what it is you do with the file and exactly where a non (ahem) mac guy would find all this stuff. I've been looking at the code sourced out, but I'm not a programmer nor am really interested in getting too much into the source code, so could AdamJay or someone post the exact details of this fix for someone who is learning at an exponential rate about the Mac OS? :wink:
Also how to repair this if something untoward happens.

I'm considering doing this pretty hard, just a little nervous due to this being my first mac and not phukcing this up.

;p

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon May 01, 2006 2:46 am

tonetripper wrote:Iso could AdamJay or someone post the exact details of this fix for someone who is learning at an exponential rate about the Mac OS? :wink:
Also how to repair this if something untoward happens.
To apply the "fix":

Locate the file titled "IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext" (located in: MacHD -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext),

move it to a safe place. (a folder on the desktop, an external HD, etc.)
reboot.
thats all you have to do.

to undo:

Put the file back in the folder it originated in.
then go to Applicatioins -> Utilities -> Disk Utility
select the Macintosh HD, and click "Repair Permssions"
reboot.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon May 01, 2006 2:47 am

DJSK wrote:How do you repair permissions?
go to Applicatioins -> Utilities -> Disk Utility
select the Macintosh HD, and click "Repair Permssions"

tonetripper

Post by tonetripper » Mon May 01, 2006 2:50 am

thanks AJ. Cheers, gonna give it a try.

;p

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon May 01, 2006 3:18 am

AdamJay wrote:kpi = kernel programming interface.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin references the extensions <85 17 16 11 5 4 3>, not the other way around.

in other words, <85 17 16 11 5 4 3> do not rely on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, but rather ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin relies on them.
Thanks, Adam. I think that this info pretty much puts to rest any worries I might have had about implementing the fix. The power management extension is unrelied upon by any other extensions as far as kextstat will tell us.

Apple knew they couldn't get decent battery life using the two cores fully. They also know that most people aren't into real-time audio or video. Their campaign is to get more switchers, then they'll focus on high-performance users like us.

Its official: I'm pissed!

tonetripper

Post by tonetripper » Mon May 01, 2006 3:34 am

Ya, but on the flipside, people like us utilize pretty extensive cpu hog type programs. I doubt very often that I will run this whilst doing audio unplugged even with the current battery usage. It might be nice to utilize it now and again, but to think that any where you would record you'd be on battery is kind of suspect. I figure I get a couple of hours running this full tilt in it's current configuration, so it's a trade-off I guess.

AdamJay have you found out how long your battery will live if you are using it non-stop doing a session? This will be my last question before I attempt the fix.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Mon May 01, 2006 3:36 am

tonetripper wrote: AdamJay have you found out how long your battery will live if you are using it non-stop doing a session? This will be my last question before I attempt the fix.
not yet.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon May 01, 2006 12:11 pm

So is this safe>?! should i do it?
:?

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Mon May 01, 2006 1:38 pm

jeskola wrote:So is this safe>?! should i do it?
:?
thats completely up to you but reallize you WILL LOSE BATTERY LIFE.

if you dont care then do it.

i for one am waiting. if you decide to do it make sure you read everything carefuly and back up your shit

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon May 01, 2006 1:45 pm

AdamJay wrote:
DJSK wrote:Is there any way to put it back once you have deleted it? I am new mac user here so I have no idea how to put it back. I made a copy of the file in another folder but when I try to drag it back in the folder and then resart the computer says it was installed improperly.
you did it correctly...

but you also need to repair permissions.

when you place it back in under your user account, its given the permission of your user account instead of root permission. repairing permissions will resolve this.
or run
chown root:admin IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
chmod 755 IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Mon May 01, 2006 1:48 pm

gomi wrote:
AdamJay wrote:
DJSK wrote:Is there any way to put it back once you have deleted it? I am new mac user here so I have no idea how to put it back. I made a copy of the file in another folder but when I try to drag it back in the folder and then resart the computer says it was installed improperly.
you did it correctly...

but you also need to repair permissions.

when you place it back in under your user account, its given the permission of your user account instead of root permission. repairing permissions will resolve this.
or run
chown root:admin IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
chmod 755 IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
Gomi, you've given some excellent technical information. What do you think aboutthe fix? Is it safe? If noting else depends on the extension, where is the possibility for harm?

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Mon May 01, 2006 4:27 pm

Im a little confused at this?

From the link I noticed the guy was going on about a whining noise and this is the fix so fair enough. Is this is the same whine thats in many G5s and is now also appearing on the new Macbook? I did something similiar last year to get rid of the whine by using a developer tool software which allowed me to disable something in the processor and it worked the whine was gone but after about ten hours the hard drive completely froze and the machine did a death thing I hadnt seen before. I thought it was broken but after leaving the machine for an hour it started up fine (relief) I tried it again and the same thing happened and it was down to the machine seriously overheating so I didnt try this again.the patch again
Are we talking about this patch getting rid of a whiney noise but adds cpu performance?
HA HA HA :twisted:

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 pm

apaprantly you can get rid of the whine by adding a widget called mirror... somthing to do with the camera on the macbook - no idea why or how it works but will be giving it a shot as the MBP makes some noise around 60% of the time its on. and some heat it generates too, get marks on your legs thorugh jeans if you leave it on your lap long enough 8O

Kage

Post by Kage » Mon May 01, 2006 6:25 pm

Good work, adam.. this fix is working for me.. it does affect battery life, but other than that, it's great ! :)

gomi

Post by gomi » Mon May 01, 2006 7:16 pm

steve-o wrote: Gomi, you've given some excellent technical information. What do you think aboutthe fix? Is it safe? If noting else depends on the extension, where is the possibility for harm?
I haven't tried it.
I just been opening the mirror widget and closing it.
I haven't run out of cpu in live yet, so there is no reason for
me to push my cpu 100% of the time.

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/macbook ... omplaints/