MacBook CPU throttling: anyone tried this "fix"?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:28 am

well it looks like this will kill your battery life by about 30% (but the same thing happens on a windows machine when you go with "Always On" power management)

but i didn't buy this machine for its battery life. i bought it for the processor and the OS. now i've got all the processor i can get (till Live 6 and multi-threading) and i am damn happy about it.

i suggest folks read the entirety of the apple thread posted at the beginning of this topic.

lots of useful information there.

such as,
1) this kernel extension is new as of 10.4.5
2) turning off the throttle is equivalent to running your mac under boot camp.
3) this won't affect keeping your cpu cool. cooling is handled by firmware, not the software.
4) the only adverse affect this "fix" has is it eats up battery life.

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:50 am

great info...

thanks Adam!

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:50 am

nice, awesome, but i need battery life.

god if someone could write a script or something for us to be able to turn it off and on! god thta'd be great.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:52 am

Digi V wrote:nice, awesome, but i need battery life.

god if someone could write a script or something for us to be able to turn it off and on! god thta'd be great.
hehe, or Apple can just give us back the "CPU Performance" section of the Energy Saver > Options tab

remember the "reduced, automatic, highest" options?
we need those options returned.

stew

Post by stew » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:02 am

DJSK wrote:Will doing this mess up the warranty?
How should it? I don't see anything in Apple's warranty fineprint that says "certain combinations of clicking and typing in OS X will void warranty". If there was any legal base on which they could declare your warranty void because you ran some evil software, they'd need to specify what you're not allowed to do in advance.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:21 am

AdamJay wrote:

hehe, or Apple can just give us back the "CPU Performance" section of the Energy Saver > Options tab

see now that is the all mighty question "WHY did they not give us that option?"

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:18 am

Digi V wrote:
AdamJay wrote:

see now that is the all mighty question "WHY did they not give us that option?"
"New OS gives increased performance - upgrade now!!!"

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:20 am

Your are right I just noticed that. So I guess I don't need to delete the kernel ext then. Right?

kidbeyond

Post by kidbeyond » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:24 pm

AdamJay wrote:

Failing that, would it be possible to write a script that puts the .kext back when the machine is plugged in, and takes it out when it's not? Maybe by renaming the file back and forth or something...

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:32 pm

kidbeyond wrote: Failing that, would it be possible to write a script that puts the .kext back when the machine is plugged in, and takes it out when it's not? Maybe by renaming the file back and forth or something...

hmm good question. i've done a few apple scripts but that one is pretty complex.. not sure. i wonder if it would require less effort to lobby Apple to get their Energy Saver back in order.

by the way, i left my Mac on overnight with the kernel extension deleted.
woke up this morning and it was as cool as it normally is after a night's idle. So i am now 100% certain this is a 'safe fix'

tonetripper

Post by tonetripper » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:05 pm

I'm running the macbook pro 1.83 ghz machine with the latest firmware and update to 10.4.6 and I went looking and I didn't see it in the mentioned place on the machine. I'm pretty new to mac from PC land but am fairly computer literate. Could you drop a link or possibly state the location of that file which you deleted Adam?

gomi

Post by gomi » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:29 pm

steve-o wrote:
Possibly to introduce an OS upgrade and claim increase in speed (due to the upgrade)?
bingo!

10.4.7 now even faster!
hehehe

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:11 pm

tonetripper wrote:I'm running the macbook pro 1.83 ghz machine with the latest firmware and update to 10.4.6 and I went looking and I didn't see it in the mentioned place on the machine. I'm pretty new to mac from PC land but am fairly computer literate. Could you drop a link or possibly state the location of that file which you deleted Adam?
yea

Your Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions -> IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

i put System in bold because there is another Library folder under your Mac HD. You want the library folder that is within the System folder

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:18 pm

adamjay- dont you think the apple community has lobbied enough online for apple to give us the power consumption option?

i mean holy hell do they not listen to us?

i wish i could attend the conference, or at least know someone who is going , and make them bring these questions up in AUg.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:51 pm

:(
Someone loan me $2500.

Please?