dragging parts or copy in arrange still appallingly slow

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Wed May 17, 2006 9:36 am

You're right: If I set my latency from 256 to 2048 samples, copying/moving in the arrangement gets 2-3x faster. It is then fast enough to work with a maximum of 30 tracks! If I add more tracks it gets exponentially worse.

Robert Henke speaks about the slowlyness of the arranger once you have lots of edits.

The arranger is slow as hell if you are working with many tracks (40 and above) and if the CPU is at say 70% _without one edit in there_ (one audio clip gets moved). Unusable. Of course it gets worse the more edits you have.

So I hope this _really_ gets addressed in Live 6!
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

brainray

Post by brainray » Thu May 25, 2006 11:30 pm

Alien Leg wrote:You're right: If I set my latency from 256 to 2048 samples, copying/moving in the arrangement gets 2-3x faster. It is then fast enough to work with a maximum of 30 tracks! If I add more tracks it gets exponentially worse.

Robert Henke speaks about the slowlyness of the arranger once you have lots of edits.

The arranger is slow as hell if you are working with many tracks (40 and above) and if the CPU is at say 70% _without one edit in there_ (one audio clip gets moved). Unusable. Of course it gets worse the more edits you have.

So I hope this _really_ gets addressed in Live 6!
It definitely has to, because if not Live will stay 'just a DJ tool' and pro's won't consider working with Live (meaning classical recording guys on other apps).

The arrange bug, bus bug, and the difficulties while Midi recording are huge showstoppers and definitely are more important than dual cpu support (for me).

Best

Ray
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

unusable

Post by unusable » Thu May 25, 2006 11:59 pm

I've said it before somewhere, but it's brutal. simply re-arranging a track and it shits it pants. all i was doing was cutting down the length of an existing track by cutting out a verse + chorus section. cut'em out no problem, now try and shift the outro left to match up and blagggh!!

I ended up rendering the mix as it was, opened up the good old cubase SX1 and cut that shit down in a couple minutes, time,

Talk about crazy usless shit.
.asus cetrino lappy 2.0Ghz 2x7200 internal drives, 2GR
.carillion desktop AC-1 P4 1.86, 786RAM
.live 5, wavelab, cubase, reason, waves
.fender, gibson and danelectro guitars
.keybaords and other things electronic

brainray

Post by brainray » Fri May 26, 2006 8:42 am

I've had something like that yesterday, when the clips of some tracks have just been gone after rearranging a track.

The problem is, that Ableton doesn't seem to pay attention to it. I'm currently remixing a whole album of an artist, and now that the tracks become filled with tracks, Live lets me standing in the rain.

I think I'll have to get a Mac again and do this with Logic (which I don't like too much anymore).
Sony Vaio A215M PentiumM 1.6 GHz 1GB __ Athlon 64, Asus A8N, 2GB Corsair
Focusrite Saffire, UAD-1, Logic Control

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Fri May 26, 2006 9:35 am

brainray wrote: The problem is, that Ableton doesn't seem to pay attention to it.
bump
Quad 6600 Intel, AsusP5Q, 2Gb ram, XP sp3, Evolution MK361c & UC33e, Line6 UX8

supster

Post by supster » Fri May 26, 2006 10:01 am

Chris J wrote:
brainray wrote: The problem is, that Ableton doesn't seem to pay attention to it.
bump

what more would you have them say at this point, they're busy fixing it

( .. they are... fixing it ... .right :? )
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

forge

Post by forge » Fri May 26, 2006 11:52 am

supster wrote:
Chris J wrote:
bump

considering the amount of attention they pay to the forum (meaning they read everything, but dont neccessarily comment) I'd be incredibly surprised if they weren't

My view is the day I can code a program like Live and know exactly how to fix everything is the day I can fairly whinge about how long it's taking them

supster

Post by supster » Fri May 26, 2006 1:55 pm

forge wrote:
supster wrote:
Chris J wrote: bump

considering the amount of attention they pay to the forum (meaning they read everything, but dont neccessarily comment) I'd be incredibly surprised if they weren't

i know, ya

well - since this problem is holding up my artistic progress .. literally .. i only produce the bare amount anymore .. just to keep my hand in it while i wait for hardware upgrades and Live 6 ...

ie. i have no creative freedom to work the way i need to, and am very lucky i have equally important things to work on over the summer while i wait .. however ..

figured i'd throw in a small, futile comment meant to express my longing, hopefullness and a merest trace of frustration :)

--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Fri May 26, 2006 9:00 pm

Considering the planned release date of Live 6 and the high priority this problem has, it must have been solved by now, cause it requires big architectural changes that can't happen in the last month of alpha or beta testing.
So I really would like to hear from Ableton if Live's Arrangement is now on par with the other hosts! :-)
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri May 26, 2006 11:52 pm

Alien Leg wrote:Considering the planned release date of Live 6 and the high priority this problem has, it must have been solved by now, cause it requires big architectural changes that can't happen in the last month of alpha or beta testing.
So I really would like to hear from Ableton if Live's Arrangement is now on par with the other hosts! :-)
< cue the Jeopardy music >

What is most probably not?

:)
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

roby

Post by roby » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:33 am

not to beat on a dead horse, but i just closed up Live out of frustration. just 5 tracks of audio, totally cut up and rearranged and everything moved at pixel-per-day speed (LOL).

supster

Post by supster » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:57 am

roby wrote:not to beat on a dead horse, but i just closed up Live out of frustration. just 5 tracks of audio, totally cut up and rearranged and everything moved at pixel-per-day speed (LOL).

theres nothing left of the horse but some old dusty bare bones with a few little scraps of meat hanging. feel free

--

roby

Post by roby » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:09 am

damn, so what was i beating on then???... oh, it's a sack of potatoes :lol:

supster

Post by supster » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:13 am

roby wrote:damn, so what was i beating on then???
if you're anything like me with this situation... your computer screen

with a sledgehammer. trust me ive tried everything

--

TequilaKez

Post by TequilaKez » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:34 am

Does anyone know if this was addressed at all in live 6?
MacBook Pro Retina. Ableton 10/11.