Metronome, Audio Path, VSTi

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
FORMAT

Metronome, Audio Path, VSTi

Post by FORMAT » Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:52 am

Wishlist for next update:
VST instruments (obviously!)
Built-in metronome....for checking tempos
An audio file path that is defined for the song not globally (so that files go to a pre-defined song directory

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:27 pm

There has been some discussion here about the pros and cons of assing VSTi support to ableton, some believe it would detract from the "dedicated device" concept that makes live so good, others feel it is a required developtment.

I believe that there should be different programs for different purposes, for this reason:

If a program goes down, for any reason (bad programming or something, then in the modern operating systems the other program will keep running.

So if you lost your VSTis during a gig for some strange reason, then at least the loops would keep running and not all is lost.

I think that this is vitally important to keep in mind.

Are there any programs out there that JUST play VSTi's ...?

Even if ableton built one, that would be good.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:23 am

I agree to above...
Please keep Live simple, solid and dedicated to loop/stream performance events... process Live and add VSTi's etc. in your DAWs software.

If they try to compete with Nuendo/CubaseSX, Logic/DP etc they'll never win and make a nice bug ridden performance ap...
rrR

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:32 pm

I agree that the programme should be kept simple... but I would indeed love to play some EVP Rhodes "live" instead of just triggering the audio file... so this should go along with the "sample player" concept of live.... I agree that VST PLUG-INS would not have been entirely necessary as you would add them to your file before playing live anyway.... for performance reasons obviously. At least I would do so .... Have you used Ableton on stage yet? Would be interested to know...
Regards,
FORMAT

Ischo

Post by Ischo » Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:37 pm

heyhey FORMAT,

i used it several times(7-8)on stage now and i must say it really all works perfectly.
usually i like arrange a new song, drop the vst's,
and depending on the effect that happens, record the track into a new file (if necessary). then i copy the whole song into a new live -set, rearrange it, mix tracks with other tracks from other songs and so on. i've gor reaktor in the background for weird SFX and sometime even record little reaktor loops into live. okay, it's not like playing chord live and stuff, but it work fine with me.

FORMAT

Live live

Post by FORMAT » Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:20 pm

Yo Ischo
That's great to hear... how many tracks are you capable of playing simultaneously and what notebook do you use? That would interest me tremendously as I haven't taken that step yet.....

Ciao
FORMAT

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:05 am

Ischo,
If you could reply to above questions that would help no end!

Cheers,
roland

Ischo

Post by Ischo » Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:02 pm

okay, here's the stats:
LIVE runs on my toshiba satellite 3000-514,
P-III, 1.1 GHz, 512 MB RAM.
My liveset's got 16 tracks, each with about two to four VST's, all 4 sends with a couple of plugins in chain. I use my polymorph for MIDI-control, it's got 4 banks and about 25 to 30 knobs per bank. They're assigned to the aux-sends and parameter changes in VST's. All together , with lot's of MIDI-shit happening, it runs on about 40% CPU.
any further questions?
go ahead.....

mark0

Post by mark0 » Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:24 pm

hey Ischo.

do you 'sync' Live and Reaktor or just have it running on the side?

also - just out of interest - do you know if its possible to sync programs other than those that support Rewire with Live in a live situation (ie. a solid sync)? eg. Fruityloops?

I don't know much about stuff like 'hubi's loop-back device', though get the impression that it isn't very stable.... can anyone help me here?
:lol:

puthupa

Post by puthupa » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:23 am

Ischo,

What OS? And how big's the hd?

Thanks,

Puthupa

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:12 am

Yes I do have questions Ischo! :-)

What OS are you running?
How stable is the setup (no crashes, occasional???)?
Did you have your machine configured by a computer tweaking pro?
What kinds of gigs do you play and what is peoples' reaction to seeing a guy stare at his monitor all night?

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:17 pm

heyheyhey,
I wanna have fun myself, so I don't just stare at my monitor, M'kay? What am I supposed to do anyway, shake my azz, jump around and, get boozed? Well that all happens anyways, and no-one has ever complained about me not moving enough.
I would say they're there for the music.
back to business......
The shit runs on WIN XP, tweaked by myself (no pro, me neither). Just re-installed XP without all the Microsoft-stuff (movie-maker, picture-it, all that crap).
Darn stable, no drop-outs, never had a crash during my live-act, as i tested all my VST's for performance and i know which one's are suitable for not going too heavy on my CPU.
HD is 40 GB. I just checked yesterday, my live-act consists of 500 MB loops, reaktor in the back, no sync, just for SFX's and noises, extra chords. Don't know too much about fruityloops, sorry.
My gig is about 75 minutes of all-over-style-house, from minimal to maximal and back and forth.

Ischo

Post by Ischo » Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:24 pm

that was me ..........up there

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:50 am

Anonymous wrote: heyheyhey,
I wanna have fun myself, so I don't just stare at my monitor, M'kay? What am I supposed to do anyway, shake my azz, jump around and, get boozed? Well that all happens anyways, and no-one has ever complained about me not moving enough.
SORRY... no offence meant.... These are things I'm having to consider.... I am a guitarist, I play with bands (which isn't always exciting to watch either) but the concept of live presentation is very important to me. so again, take it easy....

I am currently looking at the Sony 316 with 16-inch screen and a Pentium4 processor and I'm getting my Logic update (hopefully soon) that I wanna run on it too.

If you ever play in the Munich area, give me a shout!
FORMAT

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:00 pm

I'm sorry too, didn't mean to be a bitch.
It's just that it's always an issue, how you look behind your "machines". Who cares, I'm there to play music.
Although I must admit, visuals are nice, if they fit to the sound.