Should I go Alienware or Macbook ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Ditch Alienware and go Macbook?

YES
80%
NO
20%

Total votes: 75

DKushner

Should I go Alienware or Macbook ?

Post by DKushner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Lets just say that I am having serious issues with the Alienware people in regards to getting my computer. I'll post up some details pretty soon, but suffice to say, i'm considering jumping ship.

All you people keep talking about the Macbook. Is it really that good? I have never owned a mac before, so initially I had no interest. But yesterday I come to find out it can run XP...

So a couple of questions. Are there any benchmarks done for the macbook against other chips- like for example the 3.0 ghz P4 w/ 800 mhz front side bus I had ordered for my Alienware?
How does the dual processor work and do I have to do anything to get it to run efficiantly?
Will the XP run at a high level of performance?
Will the following stuff work on it? ( MBOX 2, Pro Tools 7, Live 5, Komplete 3, Chris Hein Horn, Peter Sielezcek Strings, IZOTOPE's Ozone Spectrum and Trash, Oddity, Timewarp 2600, Imposcar, Wizzoverb, Albino, Blue, Reason 3.0, the Ohmforce experiance).

Does the Macbook have s-video out or some other way to broadcast a second screem signal onto a tv?

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:13 pm

this moment in computer history is all about apple. GO the macbook.

gomi

Post by gomi » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:16 pm

forge wrote:this moment in computer history is all about apple. GO the macbook.
also dell owns alienware now.

apple apple apple

DKushner

Post by DKushner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:20 pm

I am so crazy angry with Alienware right now I can't even begin to explain. It's been over a month since the estimated ship date on my computer, and they are still only in phase 4 of building it. And the graphics card- they've had the graphics card on backorder the whole time. They keep telling me new dates the graphics card is expected in. The most recent is the 04-21-06! When I get home from work I'll compile the whole line of dialogue between me and their customer service department from all these emails. This shit is infuriating.
I am Iron man.

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:21 pm

apple. make sure you get one of the latest revisions though. there are some problems with the early releases.
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:36 pm

Yeah man Alienware is owned by Dell now..

Nuff said. I mean your comparing Alienware to Apple. I could see if you were comparing Alienware to Sony or something but it's really no comparison when your talking about Apple.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:52 pm

thelike5 wrote:Yeah man Alienware is owned by Dell now..

Nuff said. I mean your comparing Alienware to Apple. I could see if you were comparing Alienware to Sony or something but it's really no comparison when your talking about Apple.
dude you are the biggest apple fanboy on this forum.

why can't you compare alienware to apple?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:58 pm

sweetjesus wrote: dude you are the biggest apple fanboy on this forum.

ahem...

I'LL take that title, thank you very much.

:P

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Get in line, Adam... :wink:

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:09 pm

I'm not going to take offensive to that remark neccessarily! :wink:

I dunno. Maybe cause I haven't had a crash in ten years using macs. I'm serious. I just have always known Alienware as a "gamers machine"...

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:19 pm

I should also post that I don't care for in the whole "PC vs. Mac thing. It's more of an OS issue for me and OSX still rocks. There is only one "laptop musician" that I have seen in recent memory perform live with a PC and that is Akufen and his sets have either been buggy or crashed entirley both times when I have seen him. He is one of my faves too.

I just don't know of anybody using a PC laptop on stage running XP. I'm sure people do but I just haven't seen anyone else do it at a professional level. I'm not counting friends basement or douchbag bars that have a "DJ night" and someone palys mp3's all night. Sorry... :cry:

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:21 pm

no, please dont take offense, i was just saying it how i see it you are obviously a big fan of apples and just wondering why a brand reknown for performance such as alienware would get such a thumbs down.

i too have known alienware for gaming and performance... and it's in gaming that you need most of the performance, more than just the GPU but the flow of data through the whole machine, so that would definately be an important factor to consider, no?

computo

Post by computo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:22 pm

well, finally we agree, like5.

Macs are far more stable.

I saw Squarepusher have computer issues last year in Boston...(PC)

I saw Richard Devine use a PC (that was good, no problems that I saw)

Put it this way, if you want to spend your downtime making sure you're computer is going to work for the next show, go PC. If you like, say doing things with your time, try mac.

computo

Post by computo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:23 pm

thelike5 wrote:

I'm not going to take offensive to that remark neccessarily! :wink:

I dunno. Maybe cause I haven't had a crash in ten years using macs. I'm serious. I just have always known Alienware as a "gamers machine"...
Then there is that retarded Alien head emblem on them...

not that that big white apple is much less gaudy.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:31 pm

thelike5 wrote:I should also post that I don't care for in the whole "PC vs. Mac thing. It's more of an OS issue for me and OSX still rocks. There is only one "laptop musician" that I have seen in recent memory perform live with a PC and that is Akufen and his sets have either been buggy or crashed entirley both times when I have seen him. He is one of my faves too.

I just don't know of anybody using a PC laptop on stage running XP. I'm sure people do but I just haven't seen anyone else do it at a professional level. I'm not counting friends basement or douchbag bars that have a "DJ night" and someone palys mp3's all night. Sorry... :cry:
Now XP may suck on a benQ notebook, but guess what so will OS X because there's always going to be crap to deal with on low quality hardware.

out in the real world, both os's are just as stable as each others, if on a good platform.. OS X on macbook pro, and XP on the Alienware and both are on platformx optimized for their respective OS.

oh yeah i play out with a pc laptop and a desktop, and i have seen xp used on more professional machines than you have seen machines.