How do I achieve the 'Ducking' effect within ableton?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
SubLik

How do I achieve the 'Ducking' effect within ableton?

Post by SubLik » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:21 pm

I have a side-chaining compressor plug-in but can't work out how to achieve the 'ducking' effect within Live 5.

Any advice anybody?

Thankx

SubLik
SubLixx

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:14 pm

Stick it on an audio track, create a new audio track and set this tracks 'audio to' to your track that holds the sidechain comp.

After you do that the listbox below the 'audio to' listbox should let you pick the input to feed the sidechain.

Now you have 2 audio tracks, one with the sidechaining comp and the other is where you stick your ducking signal, like a 4/4 kick.

Now you can create any amount of tracks and set thier 'audio to' to the sidechain comp. track, then select 'track in'

This way you can route as many tracks as you want to the sidechain track and have them ducked.

RayZ

Post by RayZ » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:55 am

Thanks a lot SubLik!

RayZ

Post by RayZ » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:36 pm

sorry, thanks to ILTK of course

SubLik

Track in?

Post by SubLik » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:06 am

I create a track with the sidechain compressor on, then create a 2nd track & set the audio to the track with the sidechain compressor on, but the box below the audio to on track 2 doesn't give me the option of choosing sidechain in it is greyed-out & says 'Track In'.

I realise I've taken ages to reply but I've been busy my friend.

Any idea of what I should do?

Thankx

Sub Lik
SubLixx

serotoninsteve

Re: Track in?

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:45 am

SubLik wrote:I create a track with the sidechain compressor on, then create a 2nd track & set the audio to the track with the sidechain compressor on, but the box below the audio to on track 2 doesn't give me the option of choosing sidechain in it is greyed-out & says 'Track In'.

I realise I've taken ages to reply but I've been busy my friend.

Any idea of what I should do?

Thankx

Sub Lik
Wich compressor do you use?
Have a look in the tips & tricks section, there is a tutorial on what you have to route to what, then it should work!

Greetings
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:12 am

That sounds like you probably have a sidechain comp. plugin that is not compatible with Live, I tried a bunch before finding one that worked, the one I'm using is called Crunchessor by Voxengo

http://www.voxengo.com/product/crunchessor/

pac man

Post by pac man » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:47 pm

hi to all...i'm new one here......so i have a question:
i was trying to find something about sidechaining in live in internet and i've found how to do it with voxengo only....but i'm not satisfied working with voxengo...i mean how can i do the deep peaks with it?for example i tryed to do side chain in FLS...with peak controller and it is possible to use it as u like but usin voxengo i can only achieve the soft compressing....hope u understand what i mean...is it possible to do side chain with live's compressors? if it is not what compressors do u use for that???

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:35 am

pac man wrote:i mean how can i do the deep peaks with it?
Just turn up the level of your input signal and drive level, then adjust the attack and release as needed, it can easily pump to an extreeme degree.

SubLik

Voxengo sidechaining

Post by SubLik » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:15 am

Is it possible you could tell exactly how to achieve the ducking using the Voxengo Crunchessor as I can't seem to get it to work?

Much Appreciated
SubLixx

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Yeah sure, look at my first post up there, that's how I set it up, now simply raise the level of the track where you have the signal that feeds the sidechain signal (Like a kick) so it's as high as can be without clipping, you should not be hearing that track, it's only supplying the ducking signal.

Make sure the second last button up top in chrunchessor says 'SC:4'

Set the 'drive' to something high, like 30+ dB so you can easily hear it's pumping, then adjust the 'In' knob, now you should be seing the green meter realy pump everytime the sidechain signal kicks in, you can get more or less pumping by adjusting the 'drive' and 'In' knobs.

Now when you want to route tracks to have them ducked, simply set the 'audio to' listbox to the track with crunchessor on and the listbox right below 'audio to' to 'track in' and it should now be ducking.

pac man

Post by pac man » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:12 pm

to ILTK
thank u so much... u really have helped me :D not only me i guess

SubLik

Thankx ILTM

Post by SubLik » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Thankx for the 'duckin' tip. I managed to duck with the waves C1 sc in Live previously but it involved using an empty audio track with the C1 on that. & routing two signals through that. worked well except you get a duplicate of the signal that was duckin the compressor.

Got any tunes I can hear?

How about you PacMan, got any tunes?
SubLixx

SubLik

ILTK !!

Post by SubLik » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:35 pm

ILTK

Do you know if you can use Live 5's own compressor 2 for 'duckin'?

Sorry to go on & on but I'd love to cut down on using 3rd party plug-ins!

Cheers Bud!
SubLixx

Basha_Downs

Post by Basha_Downs » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:05 am

can someone explain ducking to me
P4, mackie onyx 400f/1620, TC powercore, Cubase sx3.1.1, ableton 5.2, Battery 2.0, motu mach five, bx8a's, oxygen v.2