Motu Ultralite

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scottfro

Post by scottfro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:19 am

ALTOIDS wrote:Hey scottfro,

Let's make sure you are selecting the right driver first:

1. Go to Option/Preferences
2. Choose ASIO as Driver Type
3. Choose MOTU Audio as Audio Device
4. Click on Output Config and highlight all output pairs (i.e. 1/2, 3/4 and etc...)
5. Turn ON the Test Tone option to verify all outputs are working properly (watch front panel of the UltraLite to see meter activity).

Once you are done with that:

Which output pair are you using to feed your speakers?

Assuming you are using Main Outs to feed your speakers, if you are assigning track(s) to Outputs 1-2 (Phones 1-2 on the UltraLite) in Live, you will not hear anything out of the Main Outs. Because the Main Outs on the UltraLite is a discrete output pair, meaning it does not mirror any other output pairs.

Try assigning track(s) to the Main Outs (outputs 11-12 in Live).
thanks taht fixed it...now if i could only get it to run FL studio decent...all i get is glitchy audio

KLK

no audio from asio driver

Post by KLK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:23 pm

hi,

i have purchase the ultralite today and also do not get any sound from the asio driver plus i get a lot of glitches from mme driver

would appreciate some help

best, Luis

KLK

asio configured but still glitches

Post by KLK » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:35 pm

I have configured now the asio driver asigning to outputs 11/12 in live but still get lots of glitches....

anyideas why this is happening?

thanks in advance

slashthrough

downsides to Ultralite in Live 5?

Post by slashthrough » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:12 pm

Howdy,
I'm shopping for the Ultralite and wanted to see if anyone on the forums knew of any negative aspects to consider re: Live 5 on this device?
I'm going to be running it on Macs primarily, but would like the flexability of using on PC additionally. Anyone know the minimum hardware specs for PC?

Thanks,

Jamie

ALTOIDS

Post by ALTOIDS » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi KLK,

How about changing Samples Per Buffer size?

What kind of FW connection have you established? Via a PCI FW card or to a built-in FW port?

If PCI FW card, do you have any other PCI card installed that may interfere/overload the PCI bandwidth?

If built-in FW port, have you checked to see what type of FW chipset is being used on it (sounded like MOTU recommends Agere/Lucent or TI chipset FW cards such as Belkin F5U501)?

Good luck!

hrdvsion

Post by hrdvsion » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:24 pm

i f'ing love this thing.....my only thought is that when i'm using my asio drivers for it and i loose a midi sync from an external source it crashes live, but that's only happened when i was syncing to a tr808 and the other time it happened i was messing with the audio settings..... .......it really is amazing though.......and for 800$ man!

KLK

thanks altroids

Post by KLK » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:15 am

Hi and thanks for your response,

regarding the fw chipset, i am using a texas instruments one that is also recomended by motu,,,,is this right???

also i have modified the samples per buffer everyway possible and still does the same....now i tried on a different computer and works good after playing with the buffer a bit.

I thought it might be ram since mine is 500MB and the other computer 1GB but we did a ram test yesterday and it shows available ram 300MB when using the motu and live so do not think is this one

any other ideas why is this crackling???
Now i run out of solutions and going very nuts

I have formatted the computer even and still the same

do you think even if my fw chipset is from texas instruments could be the problem???
also I changed the cable that comes with motu ( big to big firewire ) and i bought a big to small (4 point i think is called ) connection so the big one goes in motu and small one in my computer

thans a lot for all the help

hrdvsion

Post by hrdvsion » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:49 am

i've found that crackling can come from red lining...
or cpu overdrive...check those? try using the other drivers that aren't asio and setting them to a very high latency to see if that helps....

KLK

thanks for the help

Post by KLK » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:24 pm

Thanks for the info...

wat do you mean by red lining??? do not understand this

also what other drivers without asio would you recomend me to use???
but i suppose is preferible to use asio, doesn´t it sound a bit better than MME??

I have tried the ultralite ona different pc and works fine
but going crazy on mine with all the crackles and glitches
even when i am not playing any sound i can hear some strange sounds and glitches

thanks for the help guys

KLK

NOW WORKING GREAT

Post by KLK » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:15 pm

i WENT TO BUY A NEW FIREWIRE GOLD CABLE AND NOW NO MORE STOPS OR CRACKLES......

THE CABLE IS CALLED PROFIGOLD (by bandridge) , it says that is has 24k gold plated contacts that ensures optimum signal transfer...

I HOPE THIS HELPS OTHER PEOPLE TOO

THANKS A LOT FOR ALL THE ADVICES AND NOTES,

LUIS O.

citrus

wow

Post by citrus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:11 pm

i'm really surprised that that did the trick! 8O

if anything, i thought it would've been a combination of lower available RAM, and the fact that you are using a PCI Firewire card.

hrdvsion

Re: thanks for the help

Post by hrdvsion » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:33 pm

KLK wrote:Thanks for the info...

wat do you mean by red lining??? do not understand this

also what other drivers without asio would you recomend me to use???
but i suppose is preferible to use asio, doesn´t it sound a bit better than MME??

I have tried the ultralite ona different pc and works fine
but going crazy on mine with all the crackles and glitches
even when i am not playing any sound i can hear some strange sounds and glitches

thanks for the help guys
like clipping...on your in's or outs, digital clipping sounds bad...unlike analouge that can sometimes make it sound "warmer"

hrdvsion

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:02 pm

Just got one of these for my Centrino based laptop, and it works great. Only issue is the weird routing in Live, took me awhile to figure out the main outs were 11/12. Kinda unintuitive. Oh yeah, and sometimes while changing the buffer size to lower values, the Ultralite locks up Live. A quick restart and it's fine though. Not something I ever need to do in use, so no biggy.

Sounds great, very easy to use, really low latency in Live, even on a PC laptop. Install went great, no issues with crackling at all right down to 4ms latency.

BTW, I hear the Fireface 400 is going to be close to $1000, considering this is almost half the price, it's a no brainer.

hrdvsion

Post by hrdvsion » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:31 am

Tarekith wrote:Just got one of these for my Centrino based laptop, and it works great. Only issue is the weird routing in Live, took me awhile to figure out the main outs were 11/12. Kinda unintuitive. Oh yeah, and sometimes while changing the buffer size to lower values, the Ultralite locks up Live. A quick restart and it's fine though. Not something I ever need to do in use, so no biggy.

Sounds great, very easy to use, really low latency in Live, even on a PC laptop. Install went great, no issues with crackling at all right down to 4ms latency.

BTW, I hear the Fireface 400 is going to be close to $1000, considering this is almost half the price, it's a no brainer.
oh my god! thank you so much for pointing out the 11/12 thing, that has been bugging me so much!

slashthrough

Need advice on Traveler vs. Ultralite

Post by slashthrough » Tue May 02, 2006 8:26 pm

Hey all,
I'm borrowing a MOTU 828MKII and it has convinced me that I will be going with MOTU for my interface needs. However, I need to have the option of going mobile and the full-sized rack is slightly too large
I'm trying to decide between the Traveler and the Ultralite. The Traveler has been out on the market longer and has proven reliable. I could do without the extra pres and ADAT if I go with the Ultralite. Any other considerations I should take into account before I make this decision?
Live 5 will be my main app for music makin.'
Thanks,

Jamie