Live 5 and Novation Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:56 pm

You can't edit the automap, but you can edit templates. I don't think it's a big deal that automap doesn't cover every single parameter in Live, there are too many anyway.

I don't see the big deal of assigning cc#s to the non-automapped knobs and using MIDI learn to link them into Live. For every controller there are people who whine and complain that they have to do any manual editing, I prefer manual editing as it's more flexible.
So there is no comfortable way for editing templates
You have to mean edit automapped templates, right? You're ranting a lot but not making a lot of sense (IMO), maybe that's why nobody's replying.

The remaining bug with the SL is the fader jump bug, other than that, it's great.

I also don't get this:
So we still have to read the CCs from the manula to do real good templates
What do you mean? Have you opened the manual? There are no set CCs for Live.

Just get a few Faderfoxes, the SL seems to require too much work for you (that's the brunt of your rants, right?) You seem more like the demanding set it and forget it kind of user. I like to tinker so I don't have these problems.

c1c2

Post by c1c2 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:15 pm

Well, it´s just that I´d like to assign controllers to vstis
in a comfortable way and fast. That´s a feature of automap.
That´s all and the point.

And after all I don´t get you, when you make me feel like
you wanna get offensive.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:34 pm

c1c2 wrote:Well, it´s just that I´d like to assign controllers to vstis
in a comfortable way and fast. That´s a feature of automap.
That´s all and the point.

And after all I don´t get you, when you make me feel like you wanna get offensive.
Well, you're ranting on and on about nothing, really. Attention whoring on a sticky, filling it with bad info.

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Whoah there fellas...bad vibes :evil:

I do agree though Kung Fu (and not just cos we both have martial arts related names) editing your own templates can be very rewarding. I've gone back to designing my own until they get the slider pick-up mode sorted, and it is easy and very flexible using the soft editor.

As a skint student I had to sell my only controller (UC33e) to afford the SL but am still very happy with it, either though its not quite operating at a 100% yet.

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 pm

glu

Post by glu » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:58 pm

8O So I can use it now to control Pro Tools
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:23 pm

I just did a bunch of experimenting and it looks like the pick-up bug really depends on the particular softsynth or host. Here's some things I've noticed:

Pick-up works great in Logic for it's mixer and logic instruments, but using plug-ins, pick-up doesn't seem to work for templates. It does work for automapped AU's usually, but depends on the plug-in. For example, native instruments stuff didn't pick up with the faders, but did with pots. Automat synth and blue picked up fine.

So it seems behaviour changes depending on the plug-in, and varies quite a bit. In general, I don't like using automap for synths, as the controls get spread out in not such an intuitive way. And also, sometimes there are just too many pages, and the problem in Logic is that you can scroll through, but you can't go back. For example, fm7 has 90 pages and blue has 105! So once you hit the button to go to page 2, but you want to go back to page 1, you'd have to scroll through all of them to get back to the start. No thanks. And that's in Logic where both the left and right side of the SL are mapped to the plug-in controls. In Ableton you can go back and forth, but you only get the 8 controls, so it's a bit hectic for synths.

I love automap for the host controls and simple devices like effects, but I'd rather use templates for synths. My beef with ableton here is that when you go to a template, the display for the controls on the LCD reverts immediately to the automap readout (even though the knobs control template parametersunless you go into preferences and remove the SL from the control surfaces output. Not very quick for changing back and forth. In Logic, when you change to a template, the display stays on the templates parameters.

Automap is great for most things, but I think it's not quite at an all-in-one solution, unless you use just reason. Man, this thing is perfect for reason folk.

Question: When you click on a device chain in Live, it's only the first device you can control from automap. Anyone know how to select other devices without seperating each instrument?

And on a really cool note:

Have you guys tried using the drum pads for sending midi cc info. It's great, the velocity you strike it with can send a value to, say a filter, to send sudden changes. You can do really cool quick effect tweaking this way.

That's all for now. Over and out.

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

kosotodeluxe

Post by kosotodeluxe » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:59 am

I was just thinking about using the drum pads tonight. I was thinking it'd be a great way to assign a set value to each pad for the same cc# that I'd assign to an OSC tempo rate. Then just tap through different tempos to accommodate transitional changes in the song.

I don't use Automap.

But I've been using a homemade templete that uses the first page settings for a soft synth and the second for live. You just need to make sure that you don't use the same cc note on each page. Unless that is desired.(?) Or just send a different channel on you ableton page. If I could use automap I think I'd prolly still do it this way.

On thing that does kinda bum me out is that switching to page 2, or the second set of parameters, causes all of the rows to change. Wouldn't it be cool if it only changed the row you were working with?

I'm not whinning, I'm loving this thing more and more. I interfaces great with all my periphs. The MIDI interfacing abilities alone are an asset to my set up.

I saw this thing and I told myself, "that's it, that's the missing peice". Sure as shit, it is. :D

kosotodeluxe

One other thing

Post by kosotodeluxe » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:08 am

Not sure whats going on here, but if I change the keyboard octive down to -3 or -4, not sure-doesn't matter, if I go too low all the notes start sending the same cc# and it solo's the mixer in Reason. Or mutes every thing. I'm talking about all audio/input channels.

Anyone else?

Work around?

queglay

Post by queglay » Wed May 03, 2006 8:14 am

does that mean the remote le will work too? im about to buy one
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 pm

Hi guys. I'm selling my oxygen8 to buy a ReMote SL. Tell me about an upgrade...

I'm wondering if the joystick can be used for scrolling the clips, up + down left+right. It would be a nice way to trigger clips, don't you think?

Also, you can only control 8 channels of a mix, or the Remote have some "scene" changing, allowing you to jump to another assigments?

Best,
Sub
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri May 05, 2006 1:15 am

SubQ wrote:Hi guys. I'm selling my oxygen8 to buy a ReMote SL. Tell me about an upgrade...

I'm wondering if the joystick can be used for scrolling the clips, up + down left+right. It would be a nice way to trigger clips, don't you think?

Also, you can only control 8 channels of a mix, or the Remote have some "scene" changing, allowing you to jump to another assigments?

Best,
Sub
The joystick can be programmed like any midi cc, or left as pitch/mod. Not sure about navigating clips though.
And ya, to access the next eight tracks, you just press a button. The only problem right now is that the onscreen faders always jump to the new position when you move a fader, as pick-up mode isn't working, but I'm sure it will eventually.

kosotodeluxe, not sure about your problems, hope you sort it out.

Hey does anyone know how to make the tempo knob on the SL control the tempo in live? Doesn't work for me.

thanks,

grb

dpmtl

Re: One other thing

Post by dpmtl » Fri May 05, 2006 8:12 am

kosotodeluxe wrote:Not sure whats going on here, but if I change the keyboard octive down to -3 or -4, not sure-doesn't matter, if I go too low all the notes start sending the same cc# and it solo's the mixer in Reason. Or mutes every thing. I'm talking about all audio/input channels.

Anyone else?

Work around?
If i understand you it's meant to do that! If you have the mixer selected in your sequencer track pressing the keys enables you to quickly mute/solo individual or group tracks on the fly. Its part of the remote technology.

grb can't check tempo change but the display reads source internal when i turn the dial so set it to external?

Has there been any word of an update from the abes or novation?
I mix my tunes with wood spoons

lincolnkid

Post by lincolnkid » Fri May 05, 2006 8:31 am

Last edited by lincolnkid on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri May 05, 2006 9:30 am

darjammar wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote: Hey does anyone know how to make the tempo knob on the SL control the tempo in live? Doesn't work for me.

grb
First you have to set Live to EXT sync, and I *think* I changed some setting under SL globals to send the temp/sync. Then it works fine.

But... once you do get the SL to control the temp, the transport buttons on the SL will stop working (I have reported this).
what a bizarre trade-off. I'll take it for now though as key commands work fine for transport, and I find changing tempo with the mouse/trackpad to be a bitch. Very jumpy. Hope it gets sorted. thanks,

grb