Live 5 and Novation Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DeadlyKungFu

Re: Battery

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:26 pm

kosotodeluxe wrote:I've loaded my SL with 4 rechargable C-size batteries. Do I charge them by leaving the SL in Usb mode. And whats with the PSU max/PSULow recharge settings. And why does Novation sell a 9v adapter and yet 4 C-size batteries are less than 9v?
4 * 1.5V = 6V, apparently the SL works on 5V (or 3.3V) internally, no properly made product (YMMV) would be designed without an internal voltage regulator to smooth out the wall wart, current capacity is what you have to pay attention to, you can up the voltage but it's hard to up the current. No consumer electronics internally run at 9V, the standards are 5V, 3.3V and 1.2V.
Also, I get a message on my screen when I run the SL with the switch set to Battery/PSU. It says I don't have enough power. There is a voltage display in the global settings that never reads more than 4.5. But I've noticed it dips down to >3 after a while.
Batteries are actually constant current devices, not constant voltage, as the battery drains the voltage drops. Make sure your USB port is powered otherwise it will not charge your batteries. USB power is spec'ed at 4.5V - 5.5V max (basically 5V), 500mA max, or 2.75W per port, max.
Where do I change the MIDI channel settings for the Program change knob. I'm controling a hardware synth along with the bass station and I don't want the ProgramChange messages sent to the hardware synth before I get a chance to save the patch. 8O
<editted later>
This ended up being a bug. It doesn't seem that you cannot control where you send Program Changes, unlike most every other parameter.

Put the computer stuff out of the USB port, put the channel 11 stuff out of a MIDI port like M1.
Last edited by DeadlyKungFu on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kosotodeluxe

Post by kosotodeluxe » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:58 pm

I don't know what THE program change knob is. Do you mean the knob to change templates?

Yes, it not only changes the templetes. If you push down on it.... it changes its function. If you push down on it twice, while in templete mode, you can change the patches on the soft synth you might be using. And it also sends those changes to the MI output. Which is what I want to change. I'd like to switch patches on the soft synth, not on my hardware synth. I want to know how to not send that knobs messages to the hardware.

Quote:
That multi-function knob is really teaching me to save everything before I even touch it. Sometimes thats like three different save locations.

What are you talking about? There's one button to save settings, in one place, that's all you need.
Not really, buddy. I need to save my soft synth patches if I change them; the hardware synth/fx if I change those; the sequencer/Live program; finally, yes, there's one button, on the Novation, that I need to save. Sorry, did I not say I using other equiptment.
Quote:
I'll be tweeking with one Templete and go to change to another only to realize I've wiped out all my work 'cause the knob was set to program change. It's a pretty humbling experience.

Most devices (synths and MIDI controllers) are like that, this is nothing new. You really complain a lot, are you new to this?
Didn't think I was complaining so much as stating a point. That point being I caused my own shortcomming and that it was humbling. I'd like to avoid that from happening again.
You don't make sense, you talk about channels 1 and 2 being the common key channel, '1 and 2' are plural while 'common key channel' is singular.
No, I talked about channels 1 OR 2 being the common key channel. It matters not, and I suppose its my fault for including irrelavent information. The 1 OR 2 comment was included to show that, currently, at the time of the entery, I was not in the proximity of the SL.

Furthermore, I must make sense, because I was, probably rather rudely, talking to myself when I mentioned channel 11 and that it was unrelated to the Program Change question. Yet you responded with what might have been the most rational, pertenant, and valuable advise amongst the self-inflicted confusion you have demonstratably posted herewith.

Stop doing coke before you post.... ?

Hmmm, good advise buddy.

Anybody else.

If I'm that retarded, go ahead, lambast me. I was just trying to discuss. There was a dry spell of posts. Some observation was made. I really don't need an answer. I can find a way around. Besides, it was Saturday, what did you expect?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:08 am

I didn't know about pushing in the data/select encoder, very cool.

I think you found a feature request. In the manual on this stuff they go so far as to describe how to send BPM changes to different ports and I found that menu item before checking the manual, BPM routing is straightforward. In that same section of the manual they also refer to changing banks and programs on soft synths, there's no reference to hard synths or different ports with regard to bank and program changes.

My advice would be to turn off 'receive bank change' and 'receive program change' on your synth and instead of using a knob on the SL, use a knob on the synth. AND you should let Novation know to include this in the next SW update. It's odd, it seems they went through so much trouble to make this thing work with different devices at once.

Anyway, sorry man, there's been a lot of whiny threads (not you), it was monday am, I didn't finish my coffee, and, oh yeah, I'm a prick by nature, so all in all it wasn't so bad :D

Peace bro, thanks for teaching me some things.

kosotodeluxe

vbaeiuy

Post by kosotodeluxe » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:00 am

I'll let it slide.

Next time, finish your coffee.
If your anything like me, it's lifeblood.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:06 am

Yeah, I need a prescription. If there's a worse morning person than me I sure as fuck hope I meet them at 10pm and not 10am.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Regarding losing a template you just edited because you bumped the template change knob.

From the manual, section 5.4:
5. 4 Restoring Templates
The ReMOTE SL has a temporary memory facility that enables the last edited Template to be restored. This means that, should you
accidentally change to a different Template before saving the last Template you were working on, it is possible to recall the settings.
Regardless of what Template is selected, holding down the EDIT button whilst pressing the DATA/SELECT encoder will call up a screen
stating that an edited but saved version of the Template shown on the screen is available. Pressing WRITE will restore the Template and
make it the currently selected Template on the SL, but will not save it. If wishing to save the Template, press the WRITE button and follow
the on screen instructions, or read section 5. 5. If not wishing to restore the Template then pressing another Mode button will cancel
the action.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:58 am

There's something that's still bugging me with this, maybe you guys have an answer.

When I switch from the ableton automap template to another one, say to have better control over softsynth, the labelling changes for a second on the LCD to reflect the change but instantly goes back to displaying the ableton automap parameters even though it's not controlling those anymore.

I'd like to be able to use synth templates for things like the pro-53 and not be stuck with just the 8 rotaries of the automap sometimes, but it doesn't seem to allow very smoothly in Live.

Anyone else try this?
Otherwise this setup is rockin'...

grb
Professional Shark Jumper.

elvisfridge

MacbookProl/Novation25SLRemote/Ableton 5.2/Logic 7.2

Post by elvisfridge » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:03 pm

8O Anybody using this combination of gear / software . Any information and tips etc would be great.Hope ime not too off topic , posting in the wrong place.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:57 pm

It is not exactly what you ask but should give the idea
http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... php?id=248

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:20 am

Hello all

i just booted up ableton automap for the first time, and the endless encoders are not working right.... when i turn them they are either too slow or super jumpy, its kinda frustrating and impossible to work with... i dont think this is normal. Any suggestions? They work great with reason, but not live.

thanks, any input would be appreciated

:)
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

www.myspace.com/8118beats

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:49 am

nevermind

I was doing the sl os update wrong, works like a champ now!
thanks for the tele-kinetic support fellas.

:idea: 8)
"Without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave." - G.I. Gurdjieff

dpmtl

Post by dpmtl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:43 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:There's something that's still bugging me with this, maybe you guys have an answer.

When I switch from the ableton automap template to another one, say to have better control over softsynth, the labelling changes for a second on the LCD to reflect the change but instantly goes back to displaying the ableton automap parameters even though it's not controlling those anymore.

I'd like to be able to use synth templates for things like the pro-53 and not be stuck with just the 8 rotaries of the automap sometimes, but it doesn't seem to allow very smoothly in Live.

Anyone else try this?
Otherwise this setup is rockin'...

grb
Have you sorted it grb? Basically you need to deselect the sl under control surfaces in preferences. This makes automap available for reason etc and allows you to use the onboard templates 8)

tj:p
I mix my tunes with wood spoons

dpmtl

Post by dpmtl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Bassic Dave wrote:nevermind

I was doing the sl os update wrong, works like a champ now!
thanks for the tele-kinetic support fellas.

:idea: 8)
My sls a bit buggy. Did you update the os via the template editor or run the installer?

Cheers

tj:p
I mix my tunes with wood spoons

Bassic Dave

Post by Bassic Dave » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:41 am

I ran the installer... make sure you set your remote sl to recieve the update- thats what i was doing wrong.

tobee

Post by tobee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:59 am

Hi there,

i'm pretty satisfied with the novation remote sl but one big problem.
Did any of you guys managed to change the ableton 5 automap configuration to jump-free control?
I mean its pretty unusable when e.g. i try to change the volume with the sliders on ch.1-8 and then changing something else like send, pan or another volumebank. the volume in ableton jump if i switch back to ch.1-8. In the optionsmenu from remotesl theres a function called Pick-up mode.
I think it s the jumper free configuration. but it didnt solved the problem.
Anyone else with this problem?

greets
tobee