Live 5 and Novation Automap

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jesse

Live 5 and Novation Automap

Post by Jesse » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Greetings,

Ableton and Novation are happy to announce that starting with the beta of Live 5.2 and Live Lite 5.0.5, Live will support Automap for Novation's ReMOTE SL keyboard.

To utilize Automap, you'll need to first update your ReMOTE SL Firmware to version 5 by downloading and running the installer. Click here and follow the instructions.

Next, you'll need to download the update to the beta of Live 5.2 here. or Live Lite 5.0.5 here.

Have fun with this powerful combination!

The Abletons

6/2/05 Update

Hi everyone,
We are aware of the issues here, and we hear you and are working with Novation to do what we can. Let me address a few of the issues here:

Regarding moving between instruments without a mouse:

Unfortunately, this is not as easy to logically implement. Which control/knob/button would we use to select between devices? We could not find a straightforward way to implement this when we were developing the mapping, and there is no clear solution here without dedicated buttons or arrow keys on the hardware.

Regarding jumping faders, etc.:
Unfortunately, at this time we don't have pick up/soft takeover mode in our software, and without motorized faders or endless rotary knobs, this is a problem that will be around for some time. However, it is on our wish list and we hope to develop this feature in a future update of the software, but we don't have an exact timeline at the moment as this is not an easy thing to implement.

Regarding the bug on PC only, regarding stuck selected instruments:
This has been fixed, and will be available with the next bug fix update to Live.

Other than this, we are working to get any other bugs out of the way, please make sure to post in the bugs & problems forum, and we'll have software fixes as soon as we can in the next update.
Best,
Jesse
Last edited by Jesse on Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:28 am

Thank you for following up in this feature in a timely manner, that's a rare quality with a lot of today's equipment manufacturers.

The revolution has begun ;)

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:10 am

DeadlyKungFu

What you think so far I just got back from out of town and saw the download update :lol:

I got it up and running and everything fired up. I went through some effects and plugins and its all their you know all on one single line of knobs(endless encoders) and some of the top buttons are assigned as well. Its real nice to be able to just click on the device and its mapped but sometimes it can kinda get thick with so many parameters mapped out on just one row of knobs and scrolling thru them all can get unproductive wouldn't you say so :?:

I pulled up Impulse thinking that the pads on the SL would be mapped but that was no go. Am I missing something can you go in and map this yourself. I will go spend more time with it but was just taking a break and wanted to see what was going on in the forums. Maybe I should've started a new post but this seemed convenient

later
Dustin

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:08 am

Sorry I caught on to the other post

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:14 am

dbolt wrote:What you think so far I just got back from out of town and saw the download update :lol:
So far I'm really impressed. I tried it last night at a friend's place with a dozen different plug-ins, they ALL mapped.
dbolt wrote:sometimes it can kinda get thick with so many parameters mapped out on just one row of knobs and scrolling thru them all can get unproductive wouldn't you say so :?:
totally. I find it helps to open the plug-in's DEVICE PARAMETER window to get a grip on what I'm tweaking. Did you notice that you can lock automap to the current device, so you can continue to control said device while you move on and highlight other plug-ins. Nice touch. I did have a gripe where NI's B4, the Leslie cabinet speed was not automapped (major bummer), we just MIDI mapped it, easy solution I just don't know why they didn't map one of the coolest features in B4 that's SO expressive!
dbolt wrote:I pulled up Impulse thinking that the pads on the SL would be mapped but that was no go.
They're not mapped, but you'll notice that the SL's keyboard keys are in the right range by default. I drum more with keys anyway, but the pads are cool for that too. To map them to Impulse, hold EDIT, hit a pad, and set it to send a note starting on C3, D3, E3, F3, G3, A3, B3 and C4, save the template and you're done forever. In the end I think it's better the pads aren't automapped, it leaves them open to be used with samplers, I think it was the right decision, otherwise they'd map to MIDI but you couldn't control which notes, which octave, know what I mean? Flexibility is key with this stuff.
dbolt wrote:Maybe I should've started a new post but this seemed convenient
whatever works, there's a thread I've been replying in, this works too. Answering questions is a great way to learn this stuff. With a thread it's more obvious when there's a new post other than with a sticky.

Alien Leg

Post by Alien Leg » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:25 pm

I assume it isn't possible to decide which parameters of a plug get mappend? This would make much more sense to me if there aren't more knobs!
Win XP Pro SP3, Live 7
Q9450@3.2Ghz, 4 GB RAM,
BCF2000, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Mindprint TRIO

Dj-Grobe

Slider size

Post by Dj-Grobe » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:42 pm

Sorry, i know this not its related with topic, but thinl all people posting here have the great novation remote sl.

Pleasecan sombody tellme slider size?

I see sliders are very little.

Please can sombody tellme exactly size in milimeters?

I need figure about the size for figure before import one unit for me to my country.
I plai djing, and think this controller its beter of behringer.

Is?

Best regards

Bong Sau

Post by Bong Sau » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:37 pm

The sliders are 40mm. I haven't used Behringers but the SL is a beauty....

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:17 am

very little slider?

goo quality sliders?

Automap relaly work perfect?

: )

Thanks

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:very little slider?

goo quality sliders?

Automap relaly work perfect?

: )

Thanks
I just got mine and all I have to say is Awesome. The knobs and sliders work fine though they don't seem the highest quality. The keys feel great and the xy pad is dope. Automap rocks my pelvis. I can't believe how nicely it is set up. I'll re-assign some of the controllers to make it a little more logical for me but that is about it.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

esaruoho

Post by esaruoho » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:01 pm

Alien Leg wrote:I assume it isn't possible to decide which parameters of a plug get mappend? This would make much more sense to me if there aren't more knobs!
seconded.. i have no use whatsoever for device on, for now.
btw, how does one go from automapped bass-station-vsti to automapped operator? my remote25SL is locked into the bass-station settings.. how do i switch? i thought it was just a case of clicking on operator and it would read it.. what am i doing wrong?

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:24 pm

esaruoho wrote:
Alien Leg wrote:I assume it isn't possible to decide which parameters of a plug get mappend? This would make much more sense to me if there aren't more knobs!
btw, how does one go from automapped bass-station-vsti to automapped operator? my remote25SL is locked into the bass-station settings.. how do i switch? i thought it was just a case of clicking on operator and it would read it.. what am i doing wrong?
If you are in play mode it should switch when you click the instrument (wish there was a way to do this without the mouse) What may be happening for you is that the lock instrument button is on. It is the to left button on the far left of the sl (not the one of the up/down parameter buttons.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:29 pm

kennerb wrote:
esaruoho wrote:
If you are in play mode it should switch when you click the instrument (wish there was a way to do this without the mouse) What may be happening for you is that the lock instrument button is on. It is the to left button on the far left of the sl (not the one of the up/down parameter buttons.
You say you've got to actually click on the instrument to change mappings? Can you assign say... a number key to to a track and select the track or must it be in device view?
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:12 pm

ultrasource wrote:
kennerb wrote:
esaruoho wrote: seconded.. i have no use whatsoever for device on, for now.
You say you've got to actually click on the instrument to change mappings? Can you assign say... a number key to to a track and select the track or must it be in device view?
I see no way of doing this from my tests so far. You do need to actually click on the instrument itself. This makes a lot of sense though. You could have an instrument and effects on the same track so just clicking on the track would still leave you needing to choose one of those. Choosing a number and being able to tab to different selections would be cool though.

kosotodeluxe

Battery

Post by kosotodeluxe » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:02 am

I've loaded my SL with 4 rechargable C-size batteries. Do I charge them by leaving the SL in Usb mode. And whats with the PSU max/PSULow recharge settings. And why does Novation sell a 9v adapter and yet 4 C-size batteries are less than 9v? Also, I get a message on my screen when I run the SL with the switch set to Battery/PSU. It says I don't have enough power. There is a voltage display in the global settings that never reads more than 4.5. But I've noticed it dips down to >3 after a while.

All of those are kind stupid questions. Sorry. Just wondering if any one else has any thoughts on the whole recharge/PSU thing.

A better question might be:

Where do I change the MIDI channel settings for the Program change knob. I'm controling a hardware synth along with the bass station and I don't want the ProgramChange messages sent to the hardware synth before I get a chance to save the patch. 8O

That multi-function knob is really teaching me to save everything before I even touch it. Sometimes thats like three different save locations.

I'll be tweeking with one Templete and go to change to another only to realize I've wiped out all my work 'cause the knob was set to program change. It's a pretty humbling experience. I just get too ahead of my self. I usually don't like to save stuff till I have to walk away from it, or/because I want to make damn sure that thats the way I want it. Hmmm...

Any way, I'm sending USB port1 on channel 1 or 2, and M1, I guess it the common key channel, which would be the same,right? 1 or 2? It's just my hardware specs sound pretty strict, in that I'm only supposed to be able to control the synth with a keyboard on channel 11. I guess that wouldn't be related to the Program change its recieving for it effects patches.

Any help/thoughts would be great. Thanks.