Stylus vs guru?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Digi V

Stylus vs guru?

Post by Digi V » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 am

ok, still tryiing to compile my software list here.

i've been checking out Stylus RMX not bad. how does it far against guru?

spectrasonics' atmosphere soft synth is pretty damn good. anyone have it? use it?

stylus seems geared towards hiphop, electronic type of drum programming, is guru the same?

what if i want to get something clean and crisp. kinda like ultrabeat

how would styllus and guru do for that type of "rock" music?

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:28 am

I don't wanna sound like a (insert four letter word here) but arn't they like TOTALLY different? I did some work with guru and it's mostly a beat creator/mangler. RMX it a groove machine, yea, you can mangle, but it's mostly a beat "player"........or am I just being stupid............

I am still in the market for rmx............I just haven't found anyone I know that OWNS it so that I can get a true visual.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:26 pm

GURU is a drum machine with a built in step sequencer and (IMHO) some limited loop playing/slicing functionality.

RMX is mostly a loop player with cool mangling functionality.

They are pretty different animals. Do you want to create your own beats (GURU) or play loops that are made somewhere else (RMX)?

Personally, I would go for GURU.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Ok, that's what I thought.

btw I STILL want rmx.........just can't justify without all the expandr packs......which of course I can't afford because of the new mac........

fsk

Post by fsk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:03 pm

i was at sound expo yesterday and was watching the demonstration of these programs, didn't see anything special from stylus, although that atmosphere was pretty awesome.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

gardener

Post by gardener » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Was the Sounds Expo worth going to? Am thinking about popping down tomorrow.

marky

Post by marky » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 pm

I know some people love it but I'm just not a stylus fan at all. It's like playing backing tracks to your music.

I use a lot of loops but if I want to vary loops and play around with them, I can do it myself in Ableton. Plus it's expensive.

jahnlay

Post by jahnlay » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 pm

I love Stylus! You can create your own grooves from Stylus with over 3000 kicks to chose from, over 3000 snares, hats (total of 7.4 gigs of sample comes standard). You can also import rex loops and then have stylus improvise them. Best drum program I've seen by far.
"It's better to burn out than to fade away!"

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:45 pm

was that a paid endorsement? nice. :wink:

like jahnlay said you can import rex files so as long as you have recycle you can make your own loops and then mangle them.

i use stylus as a player on the day to day and i will say that its a horrible nasty CPU hog. it gets stuck frequently and haS to be jumpstarted. other than that the drums sounds great and the chaos function is pretty tite.
second class robot

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:48 pm

here is what you want-

http://www.glaresoft.com/products/phatm ... index.html

this software instrument is sick!! you can mangle beyond belief!
second class robot

GlennO

Post by GlennO » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:12 pm

Guru is very nice and Phatmatik was a real breakthrough when it came out.

What sets Stylus RMX apart from other loop players though, is the creativity tools it gives you to build your own grooves. The included library is just the raw material. Layer a couple of groove elements together from different parts of the library, follow your creative urges to apply some effects and some chaos, and you've got a groove that is uniquely yours. With the ability to import rex loops, the raw material you have to start with is never limited.

That's just the start though. With kit mode you can program your own beats. With edit groups you can modify slices, with MIDI Learn you can set up monster live performance rigs, with groove control you can endlessly change grooves, ..... Well, you get the idea :-).

Glenn Olander
Spectrasonics

fsk

Post by fsk » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:18 pm

to be quite honest the sound expo wasn't great, I went to the one 3 years ago and that was excellent, alot more stands and alot more stands allowed users to try the gear out, rather than watch demonstrations, lots more competitions aswell.

But I suddenly want to buy a Roland HPD-10 after seeing that demo, it was great :o

Go if u got some cash to spend, alot of the stuff was goin at special prices and big discounts :o

The guy who demonstrated the Stylus Rmx really just described it was being Live, he just said u can drop loops onto it and speed up/down the tempo and it'll keep time, with other loops u play.... I was like... waow great... :\
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

deckme(N)tal

Post by deckme(N)tal » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:46 pm

load stylus, put a reverb and cpu is gone....
anyway is cool...but i have to record everything to audio...is the biggest cpu eater of all the vsts i have ever tried (true)...

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:40 pm

well eyeknow on their page it kinda hints at both thats why i asked. see its good to ask questions even if it sounds like i dont know what i'm talking about.

my goal is to get the RIGHT software not AS MUCH different pieces of software possible to do different things.

eisnein

Post by eisnein » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:58 pm

Glenn-

im not trying to be a pain in the ass and i love Stylus and use it everyday. i think there are a few bugs and some room for improvement, as is the case with just about everything... bottom line is the thing sounds amazing and has brilliant features.

however i fail to see why it is different from other loop players - why cant i do the same thing with a bunch of REX players or similar?

i guess i am being a pain in the ass. sorry. :oops:
second class robot