How many authorisations?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
richardbrown

How many authorisations?

Post by richardbrown » Mon May 19, 2003 3:26 pm

Is there a limit to how many installs I can have? I've already installed once each on my studio G4 (OS9) and my iBook for live (OS X).

I ask because I wanted to set up a new OS X 'User' on my iBook to have as a seperate set-up/log-in for actually playing live, and keep my normal log-in for day to day stuff as I use the iBook for office duties too. Of course the first time I launched Live in my new User log-in it asked to be authorised again (I thought it would be auth'd for my machine not per User).

If someone from Ableton could give me a definite answer I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Richard Brown

Post by Guest » Mon May 19, 2003 6:11 pm

I'm not from Ableton but I have installed Live upwards of 10 times or so. Not by choice, but because my old machine had some bad problems and I would end up erasing the HD often. On a few occasions Ableton had diabled my authorization, but a quick email to them explaining my problem and they turned it back on right away. Last time they even gave me "extra" authorizations just incase I had another problem. My guess is right off the bat you probably get 3 or 5, not sure though.

kleine

Post by kleine » Tue May 20, 2003 9:59 am

by unlocking Live on the Internet you have received challenge responses that should work on any platforms. of course this response goes only for the computer that has LIVE installed.
Please be aware that you have purchased a single license of our software. This means that you are only allowed to use Live on one computer at a time.
In all other cases (using Live on more than one computer at the same time) it´ll be necessary to get additional licenses. These are available for at 50% discount for registered users.

We are aware that it might be possible that you own more than a single computer and may want to use LIVE on both machines. Our copy protection scheme doesn´t allow this, but there´s a way to solve this problem.
All users have a second unlock on our website (www.ableton.com) that you can use for this purposes. Just enter your serial number again and get a new challenge.

Please make sure that you register your copy of Ableton LIVE. This can be done online, too.
By doing this you make sure to receive the best possible support. You might need further challenge responses when you buy a new CPU.

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 10:35 am

Thanks for the response.

What prompted my post was really the issue of multiple Users under OS X - would it be possible in future for your auth scheme to authorise all Users on a single OS X computer? It's just that it would be very useful to have a seperate User set-up for actually playing live (so one could configure the Dock, desktop etc. just for that purpose).

Hope you understand what I'm talking about....

Cheers

Richard Brown

(BTW - I'm having a great time with Live overall and it's now the cornerstone of our Decks & Gadgets live/DJ set - blatant plug below :)

http://www.swag-uk.net

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue May 20, 2003 3:56 pm

Not to scam Ableton, but have you tried copying any preferences related to Live from your personal Library folder (/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences) to the system-wide Library folder (/Library/Preferences)?

Stuff put in here generally gets applied to all user accounts.

I have no idea if this works, btw. But I know that this is the intended purpose for having the system-wide Library folder.

-Alex

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue May 20, 2003 4:26 pm

i'm a bit confused. it sounds as if there is just one unlock code per computer, but i've installed live dozens of times on my machine and i've had live suddenly ask for a new authorization on many occasions and each time i get a new challenge that requires a new response.

k